Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The issue is 'reading". In order to be aware of what you said, they would have had to READ what they received when they got their insurance. That is asking an awful lot from people today. It's bad enough they don;t even check to see if their name is correct on the face of the cards, and you expect them to actually take time and energy from their oh so busy lives to pick up their documents and READ it?
Like most people I am not a lawyer, so I have neither the ability nor inclination to read through 100 pages of legalese I am bombarded with daily every time I so much as sign onto an internet forum. When I have to I can usually get the general gist of legal paragraphs but probably am incapable of assessing the full legal meanings and ramifications of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 11:22 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,782,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
A phlebotomist comes to the work site once a year and draws blood for everyone, the blood is then sent to a lab and results are given to each worker online and in print and you have the option to have it faxed to any doctor you'd like. It saved me money from having to get blood work prior to the surgery.
Fascinating. Do you interpret your own results or send them to a doctor? And will this doctor interpret them and give medical advice without ever examining the patient?

Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Fascinating. Do you interpret your own results or send them to a doctor? And will this doctor interpret them and give medical advice without ever examining the patient?
along with each of the results the normal ranges are given also there is a summary from a robo-doctor algorithm based on your scores and any out of range values.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:43 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,782,527 times
Have you ever had your BUN too low? I wonder what the robo thing would tell you.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Have you ever had your BUN too low? I wonder what the robo thing would tell you.
it would just be flagged as out of range and you can do further research on WebMD and the like (my primary care physician is google). It would also compare to previous years and any trends would be in the summary report. I suspect in the future more and more people are going to need to self ration their medical care and only go to doctors out of absolute necessity.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:55 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Quote:
Biometric screenings in the workplace are pretty commonplace now. There are companies that employ RN's, LPN's and MA's to go onsite and do these blood tests. They are not meant to diagnose anything, however, if a result is out of range, you are counseled to go see a doctor. It's a cost saving measure for most corporate insurance plans because they can catch people with high blood pressure or whatever in the early stages.

As for the OP's original question, it doesn't hurt to try asking, however the answer will likely be no. Your $2000 is probably your deductible or out of pocket costs according to your health insurance plan.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:54 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
A phlebotomist comes to the work site once a year and draws blood for everyone, the blood is then sent to a lab and results are given to each worker online and in print and you have the option to have it faxed to any doctor you'd like. It saved me money from having to get blood work prior to the surgery.
Interesting. Does your employer get the results too? I bet they do and can do anything allowed under your local law with the results.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 AM

I am almost certain they do not. The company that runs the biometric screenings is fully HIPAA compliant. They don't even want to know the reason for short term disability they have the insurance company run family leave issues so they do the checking to make sure it is legit and then report legit or not to the company.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:45 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Interesting. Does your employer get the results too? I bet they do and can do anything allowed under your local law with the results.
They get categorical results like 12% of your employees have diabetes, 28% or overweight, etc. but no individual results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance