Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

I use (now) a couple of bottles of something called Torbot Bonding Cement. I'm not sure what the cost from Torbot is if you buy direct, but on amazon its lately about 20 dollars per jar. There is a very similar product called Osto Bond as well. This is virtually vital to my attaching my appliance to skin which has been covered like this for years.

I'm having a problem with the idea of losing so much for a copay, but IF they actually paid for most of it it wouldn't be bad. Is there a site where you can find out if a particular product is covered and how big a supply? The appliances are covered I know, but I often need more than the norm as sticky cement or not, they work loose way too soon.

I'm hoping this can be resolved with reasonable simplicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 09:41 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Have you tried calling Medicare? I googled Torbot Bonding Cement and found one site that said Medicare will not pay for it because its generic -- but that wasnt a Medicare site so it's not official.

Last edited by TFW46; 04-02-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 04-02-2017, 12:45 PM

1,203 posts, read 618,390 times
If covered, it will be under part B medical supply. You will need a prescription for it.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
If covered, it will be under part B medical supply. You will need a prescription for it.
OK, then, where is there a list of medical supply products for ostomy and related needs which qualify?

As I find I have to change the product I use as things change, and I try other variations to see if they work better, do I have to go visit the doctor to write up a new okay? If so, stupid, stupid system. And when none of them stick to skin without a medical grade glue, shouldn't that automatically be okayed? And this whole thing is not going to work the same for those with brand new surgeries, or old ones which don't work right, so maybe a more creative approach is needed, and just might include stuff you'd not normally use.

Do you dump the poor patient in the dust because it doesn't fit in all the speculations.

Who says that we give equal access to health care to anyone????????

I'm a person who only goes to a doctor when there isn't a choice as I have had botched messes the last two times and don't trust any of them.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:16 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
When you have gotten this product in the past, have you received an explanation of benefits that shows the cost? You can try calling the supplier from which you ordered in the past and ask what the retail cost of this product is. You also need to consider that chances are Medicare won't cover a product bought from Amazon so depending on how much of this you use, that $20 won't go toward your deductible.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
When you have gotten this product in the past, have you received an explanation of benefits that shows the cost? You can try calling the supplier from which you ordered in the past and ask what the retail cost of this product is. You also need to consider that chances are Medicare won't cover a product bought from Amazon so depending on how much of this you use, that $20 won't go toward your deductible.
I had a doctor say of course I had skin problems since I put that stuff on it. Not exactly, as without it all the sticky stuff on the appliance does is halfway stick, and come lose when you move. And it won't keep it in place or shield skin. And its essencially a liquoid bandange you paint on. So if its that bad bandaids should make skin sore. I discovered it at a supply place where they'd gotten samples. I ordered it from there but later couldn't find it. I've checked locally and nobody has heard of it. But it IS sold on Amazon lile a lot of medical supply stuff. I am very grateful it is. My twenty is well spent in that case as it is this *specific* product.

Maybe I'm the exception in terms of the norm, but that shouldn't matter. If they were really serving their customers, they'd consider that not eveyone is the same.

So far I haven't seen anything about deductables. I wish I could just tell them to go away and get things from the company which sells discount but does not take insurence. In the meanwhile, I'll be patronizing amazon with its lower price if they refuse to recognize it.

My rule of thumb is avoid doctors whenever possible. They lie.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:02 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
You can start your search here:
https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/ostomy-supplies.html

Then here:
https://www.medicare.gov/supplierdirectory/search.html

You have to find a supplier that has a contract with Medicare to supply the item you need. I found one CVS pharmacy in my Zip Code.

Even then there is no guarantee that the specific item (glue) that you need is a covered item. If you locate a contracted supplier in your area, call them and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance