Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 06:41 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And if you are one dollar over your estimate, you will have to pay back subsidies and then some!
Depends on your income. If you are still under the limit you will get subsidies, but they may be reduced. So you may owe a little bit. The penalties will be minimal if you pay up the amount you owe by April 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 07:16 AM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Depends on your income. If you are still under the limit you will get subsidies, but they may be reduced. So you may owe a little bit.
One would not be paying a penalty if h/she were under the limit. It is often difficult to predict income when one is self employed or is an independent contractor.

And what one owes is not always "a little bit." Our accountant had some clients who were horrified at what they ended up owing.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:14 AM

15 posts, read 9,408 times
You will never hit your exact income estimate so we'd not expect penalties. I think by being one dollar over CA4Now only meant that you will lose subsidy if you exceed the income threshold by a dollar.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:51 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Med60 View Post
You will never hit your exact income estimate so we'd not expect penalties. I think by being one dollar over CA4Now only meant that you will lose subsidy if you exceed the income threshold by a dollar.
The tax penalty we paid exceeded the subsidy. And I know several people to whom this happened to.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:05 PM

949 posts, read 789,860 times
I have to submit income verification to qualify for tax credits. The government will not accept my estimates (not sure why because they've always been accurate).

Last year, I paid the premium through April. Because I get a K-1 I have to wait until after Mar 15 to file tax returns. I submitted my tax return for income verification and qualified for tax credits. I got a refund for months Jan - Apr.

This year, I just decided to not attempt to qualify and will get it all back at the end of the year as part of my tax return.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:34 PM

I will have my daughter on the insurance plan when she will be about 22 years old. She will be in college. I am expecting her to apply to graduate school around then.

What if in the middle of the plan year she takes on a high paying job, causing us to exceed the subsidy cliff. Is there no going back once we have enrolled as a family of three?

Or, will she be able to get on the company health plan, allowing spouse and me to move on by drawing less income to maintain eligibility for subsidy?

If there is no going back it sounds like we should plan for the possibility of her taking the job and not enrolling her on our plan to begin with? Do I have this right?

Old 12-09-2019, 05:28 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
She can switch to company insurance anytime, leaving just you two from that point forward. You just have to notify the exchange of the change when it happens. It will have an effect on your premium and subsidy.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:31 PM

Thank you, dkf747!

Old 12-20-2019, 03:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times
MAGI calculation for ACA threshold...(?)

Getting mixed results in web search, (Because MAGI is also a 'restriction' for IRA eligibility) but I need this to be accurate!!! (Do not want to exceed ACA cliff!)

For ACA eligibility calculations, is:
1) HSA a legitimate MAGI deduction from AGI? i.e. $40k AGI minus $8k HSA = $32k MAGI?
2) Traditional IRA a legitimate MAGI deduction from AGI? i.e. $40k AGI minus $5,500 Traditional IRA = $34.5k MAGI?

Old 12-20-2019, 12:58 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
MAGI calculation for ACA threshold...(?)

Getting mixed results in web search, (Because MAGI is also a 'restriction' for IRA eligibility) but I need this to be accurate!!! (Do not want to exceed ACA cliff!)

For ACA eligibility calculations, is:
1) HSA a legitimate MAGI deduction from AGI? i.e. $40k AGI minus $8k HSA = $32k MAGI?
2) Traditional IRA a legitimate MAGI deduction from AGI? i.e. $40k AGI minus $5,500 Traditional IRA = $34.5k MAGI?
Yes and yes.

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/pdf/2019/magi.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance