Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 08:34 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,429,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I know hospitals are not your friend when comes too money. I have a friend that had no health insurance was in the hospital for a two months and in Coma from a machine shop accident which he was hit in the head by a steel bar. His bill was 600,000 and the hospital sold everything of his to pay the bill. The only thing they couldn't sell was his house.
If he was hit at work, then workers' compensation would cover the bill.

If he was an authorized visitor to the shop, then their insurance would cover the bill.

If he was an unauthorized visitor to the shop, then he probably shouldn't have gone to the shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 08:40 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,753,976 times
Quote:
I know hospitals are not your friend when comes too money. I have a friend that had no health insurance was in the hospital for a two months and in Coma from a machine shop accident which he was hit in the head by a steel bar. His bill was 600,000 and the hospital sold everything of his to pay the bill. The only thing they couldn't sell was his house.
The hospital sold everything?? What does that mean?

Was it his machine shop and that's why workmens comp didn't cover it?

Old 12-14-2019, 01:03 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Well of course they don't believe you cause this sounds absolutely bizarre ! Just out of the blue, with no warning signs whatsoever? And the docs don't have a clue either? I imagine you are afraid to do anything out of the ordinary so as not to have a reoccurence. If it were me, I would be on google 24/7 to see if anyone else in the world has had this happen to them. Goodness. Prayers for your health and hope to never see this again.
Well, they do have a couple of possibilities including a genetic defect of some clotting factor (but why did it take 60+ years to declare itself? Maybe something that can now be tested for) and also a long term lurking result of having cancer. Some cancers can apparently modify and exaggerate clotting response. It could be a combination of things...each by itself not a threat, but combine them just right, some threshold is reached (like age or a period of higher stress which was present), and the combination triggers a bleed. Just don't know yet. As for being afraid, there's certainly some of that, but now that I am taking an anticoagulant it would hopefully prevent the same "conditions" unless something really significant occurs.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,072,138 times
Thanks for the update,Parnassia. Hope you can stay stress free this holiday season. Anticoagulants have their own limitations though, right? Need to keep the kitties nails clipped at least !

Old 12-15-2019, 12:35 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,846,775 times
I had a relatively simple outpatient procedure that took a few hours in the hospital, a couple of months ago. The hospital, etc., bill was $78,000!! The insurance company settled the bill for under $7000, but, I couldn't help wonder what leverage one would have without insurance.

Some of today's medical and RX costs look like a 'license to steal.'

Old 12-15-2019, 12:37 PM

50,357 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You think that's bad! I'm going to be getting some truly impressive bills/EOB statements over the next couple of months that will make my hair curl. Even with good insurance.

My heart decided to take me for a roller coaster ride last week. Ended up being medevaced to the "big city" from the local ER. That 40 minute flight alone will probably cost someone over $15,000. Spent 4 days in the CICU on top of the ambulance rides and the initial ER. Lots of diagnostics over those 4 days. Can't even imagine what all this cost. And they are still not quite sure what happened. I don't have any history of heart problems, don't have heart disease or atherosclerosis, lipids are fine, BP is usually OK too. Not diabetic, never smoked, don't drink, no family history, nothing. The cardiologist wistfully commented he wished HE had my arteries. Somewhere something bled and the clot blocked a coronary artery. They did clear the clot successfully and the damage will probably heal OK. I'm hoping most of the new prescription bottles on the counter will go away eventually, but now I can't ignore one more check box on those health history forms any longer. Fun times.
A friend had quad bypass. The bill was 1/2 a million.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:57 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Anticoagulants have their own limitations though, right? Need to keep the kitties nails clipped at least !
Yes they do, but there are different types that affect different clotting factors, so the restrictions/warnings vary somewhat. Mostly warnings about bruising and serious cuts (not minor like a cat scratch ), symptoms that might suggest a cranial or spinal bleed, and letting other providers like a dentist know you take them. Haven't really noticed anything of concern yet. Like so many things they have to warn you about every possibility...the vast majority of which never occur.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:16 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,753,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, they do have a couple of possibilities including a genetic defect of some clotting factor (but why did it take 60+ years to declare itself? Maybe something that can now be tested for)
My daughter was tested a few weeks after her clot and she has that genetic defect. She had a near fatal blood clot right after starting birth control pills. Her doctor said she inherited it from one side of the family, so we've warned everyone. She stayed on blood thinners about a year, going in every week for testing so they could adjust the dose.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,627,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
The hospital sold everything?? What does that mean?

Was it his machine shop and that's why workmens comp didn't cover it?
He was the owner of the machine shop and had no insurance on the shop either. He never had health insurance he told me because he said he never would need it.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
Now I can see everyone needs insurance and this 14,000 for one over night visit and I have insurance.
Just tell them all you can afford is $25 a month, that will keep your credit intact and keep them happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance