Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 12:46 PM

2,641 posts, read 2,341,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Medicare isn't better than a good employer plan - or even a good employer-retiree plan - but it is better than an unsubsidized ACA plan. Those are unaffordable - huge premiums and deductibles. Many unemployed early retirees - not old enough for Medicare - are paying huge premiums because for one reason or another they don't qualify for subsidies. Husband/wife - $1,500/mo., single older adult $1k. These are ridiculous figures, imo.
You have to plan in advance to keep your income low enough for the subsidy. I know people that filed early for social security, which disqualified them from getting a subsidy. You can’t withdraw from your IRA or show a gain on a house sale. People don’t think about those things and then they find out they don’t qualify for the subsidy.
I retired at 59 without insurance and had to make do with a small pension. I was supposed to have retiree medical but American Airlines filed for bankruptcy and took away our insurance.
This year I took out a HELC because I couldn’t withdraw from my IRA. I put off selling my house too until after January due to the subsidy.
All of my investments are in IRA’s, so my income is very low.

So like anything else, it takes planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 01:10 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,595,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I wish they covered the Shingrix shot, my part D charges $300.00. I found out too late that Obamacare would have covered the shot at 100%. I was waiting for Medicare.
I just checked GoodRX - Shingrix is about $150 where I live - https://www.goodrx.com/shingrix

There is also an assistance program if you meet certain qualifications -

https://www.gskforyou.com/vaccines-patient-assistance/

Old 12-29-2019, 01:19 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,998,254 times
We have medicare and Cigna supplemental coverage. We get our lab work at Quest. If any test will not be covered Quest notifies us before we take the test what the approximate cost will be and we can choose to either take it or not. Whether or not a test is covered also depends on the codes the doctor indicates on the prescription for the lab work. Sometimes a different code will allow a test to be covered. If the code indicates an existing or past condition requiring monitoring by a specific test it ought to be covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I got an end of year notice from Medicare for my October well exam, that the visit to dr. was covered, but a comprehensive blood test was not covered. Apparently the blood test also included Hep C, and that is not covered, either.

If a service isn't covered, that means my Medigap plan won't pay for it, either, doesn't it?

I've never heard of a standard blood profile not being covered as part of a well exam. Is this normal?

(I also think it's odd to have a Hep C test. I don't think I've had one of those before, because there's no reason for it. I'm in excellent health w/no reason to think I have any med condition.)

Old 12-29-2019, 01:23 PM

131,810 posts, read 12,341,232 times
I have found it can also depend on the facility, where you get your blood drawn. In a former home, I found if I went to the hospital to get lab tests, they accepted the medicare payment, so I did not have a co pay, if I went to Labcorp, they wanted a co pay as well as Medicare.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I just checked GoodRX - Shingrix is about $150 where I live - https://www.goodrx.com/shingrix

There is also an assistance program if you meet certain qualifications -

https://www.gskforyou.com/vaccines-patient-assistance/
CVS won’t take any coupons, and the $150 is per shot, so $300 total. I can afford it, but I was under the impression that Medicare paid for it, otherwise I would have done it prior to Medicare.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:48 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,595,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
CVS won’t take any coupons, and the $150 is per shot, so $300 total. I can afford it, but I was under the impression that Medicare paid for it, otherwise I would have done it prior to Medicare.
So you don't meet the requirements to get it covered for free in the other link I provided?

I just did a bit more searching and as per this document, published from Medicare.gov, dated June 2019, it says that Part D covers the shingles vaccine. Go to the bottom of page 6.

Quote:
Q: Does Medicare Part D cover the shingles (herpes zoster) vaccine?
A: Yes. Part D covers the herpes zoster vaccine as a preventive vaccine.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:12 PM

Did you read the requirements?

“Have no third party coverage for Vaccines OR be enrolled in a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan and have spent at least $600 on prescription medicines through your Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan during this calendar year”.

I called Medicare and they don’t cover the shot, part D covers it, but it costs over $300.00, it was free with Obamacare.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:02 PM

658 posts, read 2,012,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Thank you! I've downloaded both of those articles to my computer to read tomorrow.

It never occurred to me to research my first exam. I just assumed the doctor would know. Or maybe he doesn't care. He did mention that Medicare doesn't like to pay for anything unless there's something wrong to justify it. It didn't occur to me that a standard blood test would be one of those things. He ordered a bone density test. I haven't scheduled it yet. Glad I didn't, in case I'd have to pay for it. I need to research that.
My sister had the bone density test done recently and Medicare paid for the test but not for the reading of the results. She had to pay $25 for that.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:18 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,295,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
My sister had the bone density test done recently and Medicare paid for the test but not for the reading of the results. She had to pay $25 for that.
It's a crapshoot. I got one earlier this year- started Medicare 1/1/2018. No out-of-pocket at all. Doc had listed diagnosis as "menopause" on her orders. I think the place I use is much better at coding things properly- I also go there for extra screening for breast cancer because of family history and haven't paid a dime for MRIs or ultrasounds.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:39 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,228,705 times
I always write on the paperwork at the doctor's office that I want and advance notice of non coverage prior to the provision of any service. There is a section where they want you to sign that you will be responsible for any charges denied by the plan. I sign this but write in that I need advance notice of non coverage. This is a reasonable request. The doctor's office should know what is covered and not covered. If there is any doubt, they can find out beforehand. The other thing they can do is get a predetermination to verify coverage. Another step you can take is to tell the doctor not to do anything that is not covered, or not medically necessary. Certainly do not want to have to pay the full charges on anything.

So far, this has worked. One doc wanted to do a hyaluronic injection in my knee and he looked at my insurance and said, "Your insurance doesn't cover them though." I got a cortisone shot instead, which was covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance