Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 08:09 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times

Advertisements

I got an end of year notice from Medicare for my October well exam, that the visit to dr. was covered, but a comprehensive blood test was not covered. Apparently the blood test also included Hep C, and that is not covered, either.

If a service isn't covered, that means my Medigap plan won't pay for it, either, doesn't it?

I've never heard of a standard blood profile not being covered as part of a well exam. Is this normal?

(I also think it's odd to have a Hep C test. I don't think I've had one of those before, because there's no reason for it. I'm in excellent health w/no reason to think I have any med condition.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 08:15 AM

729 posts, read 600,480 times
A standard blood profile is covered once every 5 years if I recall. Mine was covered in my "Welcome to Medicare" appointment earlier this year, but I hadn't had one for 6 years prior to that appointment. Not planning on getting one next year at my "annual wellness" exam because it won't be covered and there wasn't anything in my recent blood work that warranted concern.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:25 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I can't answer your question about medicare, but a one time hep c test is now recommended for all baby boomers (born 1945-1965) by the CDC.

My doctor also tested me during a routine annual exam for hep c without asking me if I needed the test. I donate blood 4 times a year and have been tested dozens of times over the past 10 years for hep c by the blood bank. I already knew I was hep c negative.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:41 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
I don't know about coverage for the Hep C but I had my Medicare "wellness" exam in May, with blood work and everything was covered.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:10 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I got an end of year notice from Medicare for my October well exam, that the visit to dr. was covered, but a comprehensive blood test was not covered. Apparently the blood test also included Hep C, and that is not covered, either.

If a service isn't covered, that means my Medigap plan won't pay for it, either, doesn't it?

I've never heard of a standard blood profile not being covered as part of a well exam. Is this normal?

(I also think it's odd to have a Hep C test. I don't think I've had one of those before, because there's no reason for it. I'm in excellent health w/no reason to think I have any med condition.)
Based on what I'm reading on the Wellness Visit page, lab tests should be covered under Part B. However, reading further down the page, one could infer doctor should have set up a screening schedule and had the tests done separate and apart from the Wellness Visit - although that would appear to be contradicted by the following which appears on the Wellness Visit page:
Quote:
However, you may have to pay coinsurance, and the Part B deductible may apply if:
  • Your doctor or other health care provider performs additional tests or services during the same visit.
  • These additional tests or services aren't covered under the preventive benefits.
https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/ye...ellness-visits
Medicare preventive benefits do include Hep C screening:
Quote:
Preventive & screening services Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/pr...ening-services
Of what use is a Wellness Visit if doc cannot order routine tests to ascertain wellness?

That said, as stated upthread, unless you had the same tests done a year ago at your last visit - in which case they probably wouldn't be covered so soon - I think you should dispute this nonpayment with Medicare. Those tests are clearly covered under Preventive. Wellness Visit page does not say lab tests done at time of Wellness Visit would not be covered.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-23-2019 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-24-2019, 06:17 AM

469 posts, read 761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Please refer to this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...sits-same.html

Also posts #6, 27 and 36 in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...ess-visit.html

The Medicare "Wellness Visit" only consists of the following. Blood work is not included.

Quote:
* A review of your medical and family history.
* Developing or updating a list of current providers and prescriptions.
* Height, weight, blood pressure, and other routine measurements.
* Detection of any cognitive impairment.
* Personalized health advice.
* A list of risk factors and treatment options for you.
* A screening schedule (like a checklist) for appropriate preventive services.

Reference: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/ye...ellness-visits
A comprehensive blood test is not covered by Medicare if you are healthy. Depending on the actual tests performed, certain components may be covered under Medicare's preventative benefit. Many people do have the comprehensive blood test covered because it was coded as a diagnostic lab service. Covered diagnostic lab services are exempt from the Part B deductible and coinsurance so it gives the appearance of being preventative.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:27 AM

729 posts, read 600,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
A comprehensive blood test is not covered by Medicare if you are healthy. Depending on the actual tests performed, certain components may be covered under Medicare's preventative benefit. Many people do have the comprehensive blood test covered because it was coded as a diagnostic lab service. Covered diagnostic lab services are exempt from the Part B deductible and coinsurance so it gives the appearance of being preventative.
Aaaand.... just to complicate the whole conversation further, I went for my Welcome To Medicare visit after much reading and trying to understand what it would cover and what it wouldn't, and my doc (same primary doc I've had for years) coded it as a Welcome to Medicare visit, referred me for bone density test, mammogram, and a routine blood panel (HDL, LDL, triglycerides, C-reactive protein)... and none of it cost me anything. All covered. So go figure.

I did find, as I posted in this thread a bit above, that Medicare will cover a limited routine blood panel as part of their preventative services once every 5 years.

A lot may depend on how well your doctor understands the Medicare coverage rules, and how to code the services. Also if you've had the same doc for long time, they may know, for example, that you hadn't had a blood test for over 5 years prior and would know they could order one with your Medicare annual wellness visit and it would be covered, or they'd know you have had one more recently and not order it for you without giving you a heads up that it won't be covered.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:48 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
I love my doc but am dropping her because her staff doesn't know how to code and doesn't respond to appeals for incorrect coding. Mt first visit post-Medicrae I had $800 worth of bloodwork rejected as "not medically necessary" That included the a1c (I had fasting glucose that runs around 110) and the lipids panel (my total cholesterol is always well over 200 so the components are important). I was off the hook only because the lab forgot to have me sign an Advanced Beneficiary Notice waiver acknowledging my potential liability.

I now use RequestaTest.com. You go on-line, select a LabCorp or Quest lab near you, select the tests you want (the ones I get are generally under $100 total) and they send the order to the lab. Easy-easy and results are on-line in a day or so. No BS. They'll even fax them to your doctor. I have no idea if Medicare covers- haven't even submitted a claim.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I don't know about coverage for the Hep C but I had my Medicare "wellness" exam in May, with blood work and everything was covered.
Has you had blood work done within five years before? Poster above says it's covered only once every 5 years ?

Old 12-24-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Based on what I'm reading on the Wellness Visit page, lab tests should be covered under Part B. However, reading further down the page, one could infer doctor should have set up a screening schedule and had the tests done separate and apart from the Wellness Visit - although that would appear to be contradicted by the following which appears on the Wellness Visit page:
Medicare preventive benefits do include Hep C screening:
Of what use is a Wellness Visit if doc cannot order routine tests to ascertain wellness?

That said, as stated upthread, unless you had the same tests done a year ago at your last visit - in which case they probably wouldn't be covered so soon - I think you should dispute this nonpayment with Medicare. Those tests are clearly covered under Preventive. Wellness Visit page does not say lab tests done at time of Wellness Visit would not be covered.
I had standard blood work done in 2017. But not as a Medicare patient. And not Hep C, as far as I know. Maybe it was there, and I didn't know it, but I gave my Medicare dr a copy of my 2017 blood work, so he would've seen if there had been a Hep C test taken before.

The 2017 lab work was not done under Medicare, so it seems natural to me that any dr would want to do a standard blood profile upon entering a new health care system. This was my first Medicare general dr. exam. (I had an eye exam earlier this year, which went to my Part B deductible.)

I plan to get blood work done every year, but I can get it much cheaper on my own at a lab & just pay out of pocket. I wish I'd known.

Maybe I need a new dr.

Last edited by bpollen; 12-24-2019 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance