Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2020, 01:39 PM

946 posts, read 1,150,800 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to California mid February and I called twice the California ACA 800 number and I'm getting conflicting information from their agent. Here are the 3 scenarios:
a) The first agent told me that I can apply now before I move to CA to get coverage Feb. 1st and use my sibling's mailing address.
b) The 2nd agent told me that I need to be in California first then apply before Feb. 15th. If I do apply before Feb. 15th, my coverage will start Feb 1st. If I apply after Feb. 15th then it will start March 1st.
c) I looked up the coverage start date onCoveredCA.com and it states "If you enroll by the 15th day of the month, coverage will start on the first day of the next month". Meaning if I move to CA and apply anytime after January 31st then coverage will start March 1st?? https://www.coveredca.com/individual...al-enrollment/

So what is the best way for me to ensure I get coverage before Feb 15th?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 05:51 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,341,593 times
Sounds like a)

So irritating trying to figure this stuff out.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:54 AM

494 posts, read 819,622 times
I think C applies based on the website.

"You will need to plan ahead to avoid gaps in health coverage. In general, the start date for coverage depends on the date of enrollment. If you enroll by the 15th day of the month, coverage will start on the first day of the next month. If you enroll after the 15th day of the month, coverage will start on the first day of the second month. For example, if you enroll on April 10, coverage will start on May 1. If you enroll on April 16, coverage will start June 1."

It is too late to get your coverage for Feb 15th but you can get coverage if you apply quick enough for March 1st.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:02 AM

946 posts, read 1,150,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Sounds like a)

So irritating trying to figure this stuff out.
It's ridiculous! I'm getting help from a local broker in CA. Hopefully she will provide some solid guidance.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:50 AM

15,476 posts, read 25,951,779 times
I think C is the right answer. Using your sister's address (A) doesn't so8und right to me unless that is where you will live. I could be wrong though.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:36 PM

6,991 posts, read 4,010,786 times
I am a Health Exchange call center agent for NYS, and I hope the agent in your letter a has that call QC'ed and they get written up. Telling you to use an address you don't live at when you haven't even established residency in the state at all is encouraging you to commit insurance fraud. FYI, they don't consider mailing address when they consider your eligibility for coverage, they look at your household/residential address.

The fact is you won't even pass identity proofing easily. If CA's system works like NY's, they look at your credit record, DMV records for the state you are applying in, and the information tied to your SSN. You may be able to submit documents, but it will take time for them to be verified, and you can't complete the application without having a verified identity.

*sigh* - I put in a 9-hour day today and I'm STILL cleaning up other agent's messes! I wonder sometimes who the hell is training some of these people that they are giving out incorrect information. I had one caller tell me another agent told her an advance premium tax credit can be used for insurance OUTSIDE the Marketplace, which is absolutely NOT true.

It looks like CA uses the "15th of the month" rule. If you enroll on or before the 15th of the month, the plan starts on the 1st of the immediately following month. If you want a February 1 start date you need to enroll on or before January 15. 16th to the end of the month, the plan starts the month after the next following month. So January16-31 enrollments start on March 1.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 01-24-2020 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance