Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 02:51 PM

585 posts, read 496,922 times

Advertisements

My husband needs it and our insurance denied it. How can it be denied? We have Blue Cross Blue Shield. He was told the study and mask would be about $10,000. Seems a bit pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 03:16 PM

23,391 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
My husband needs it and our insurance denied it. How can it be denied? We have Blue Cross Blue Shield. He was told the study and mask would be about $10,000. Seems a bit pricey.
BCBS policies vary in terms of coverage and by contract location. Did you ask your provider why it was denied? It often has to do with how they define "medically necessary". Here's an example of obstructive sleep apnea diagnosis/management policy for FEB coverage:

https://media.fepblue.org/-/media/41...155135795E.pdf

Old 03-30-2021, 10:04 AM

333 posts, read 80,010 times
I did the study at home, with a machine that was sent to me and sent back for readings, for about 200.00 and then bought the CPAP machine for 800.00. My insurance wouldn't cover it until my deductible (2000) was met so I found other resources.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:53 PM

25 posts, read 25,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom25 View Post
I did the study at home, with a machine that was sent to me and sent back for readings, for about 200.00 and then bought the CPAP machine for 800.00. My insurance wouldn't cover it until my deductible (2000) was met so I found other resources.

Hi Turtlemom25,

I lost my job recently and had to return the machine. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your CPAP machine?

Old 04-14-2021, 09:25 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,030,993 times
I got My CPAP for around $250, actually have 4?

Had HSA money to use up one year, and went on a spending spree.

CPAP.COM

Not sure how much the study was, It was covered mostly by my insurance.

But I have enough CPAP Stuff to probably last a lifetime. The Rx I had for the CPAP Machine has expired few years ago, So if they all fail I would need to do another study.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:11 PM

25 posts, read 25,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I got My CPAP for around $250, actually have 4?

Had HSA money to use up one year, and went on a spending spree.

CPAP.COM

Not sure how much the study was, It was covered mostly by my insurance.

But I have enough CPAP Stuff to probably last a lifetime. The Rx I had for the CPAP Machine has expired few years ago, So if they all fail I would need to do another study.
Thank you!

Old 05-04-2021, 09:55 PM

13,349 posts, read 7,379,677 times
Friend of mine he didn't have insurance I found him a used one on craigslist. It was almost brand new guy selling it tried to use it for a few weeks gave up. It had new parts with it his insurance paid 1000's he sold everything for $200. Buyers are limited as most people are afraid to use them without a doctor. Doctors don't do anything these CPAP machines like the resmed are all set to automatic pressure. You can find information how to program them yourself. Sleep with it see if you feel better more rested not going to hurt you. It took me a year to learn to sleep with mine I have extreme OSA.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:49 PM

8,316 posts, read 3,945,190 times
You may indeed have sleep apnea due to some physiological issue that cannot be solved in any other way, so there is clearly a place for CPAP. But in my opinion this device is way over prescribed and the cost of treatment and equipment is nothing more or less than price gouging.

See turtlemom25's #3 post for a more realistic true cost of the study and the machine.

In addition to what she did, you can start off by getting a device to measure your oxygen levels at night to see how bad off you really are. These devices record a time history of the levels through your night's sleep; you can then bluetooth the results to a phone where an app will provide you with the previous night's reading for your review. So you can get a pretty good idea of how serious your problem is before you get committed to sleep study and CPAP.

Turns out my main issue was related to nasal congestion - live in an area with significant allergy problems. Started using Nasonex and sleep and sleep has greatly improved. Plus being overweight is another significant contributor to sleep interruption/apnea issues. Easier said than done but losing weight will help breathing at night as well.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:14 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,554,696 times
There is a group on Facebook for cpap supplies; many cheap, some free for those in need. Search cpap supplies.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:56 AM

333 posts, read 80,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealthy1 View Post
Hi Turtlemom25,

I lost my job recently and had to return the machine. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your CPAP machine?
Aerocare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance