Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 09:16 PM

13,427 posts, read 7,423,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You may indeed have sleep apnea due to some physiological issue that cannot be solved in any other way, so there is clearly a place for CPAP. But in my opinion this device is way over prescribed and the cost of treatment and equipment is nothing more or less than price gouging.

See turtlemom25's #3 post for a more realistic true cost of the study and the machine.

In addition to what she did, you can start off by getting a device to measure your oxygen levels at night to see how bad off you really are. These devices record a time history of the levels through your night's sleep; you can then bluetooth the results to a phone where an app will provide you with the previous night's reading for your review. So you can get a pretty good idea of how serious your problem is before you get committed to sleep study and CPAP.

Turns out my main issue was related to nasal congestion - live in an area with significant allergy problems. Started using Nasonex and sleep and sleep has greatly improved. Plus being overweight is another significant contributor to sleep interruption/apnea issues. Easier said than done but losing weight will help breathing at night as well.
My o2 levels were recorded dropping into the 71% range while not using my CPAP. I woke up a few times with my heart racing lack of oxygen. Headaches were common in the morning and taking over an hour to actually start to function. Doctor was worried I would have a stroke or go into cardiac arrest while sleeping. When I asked about this over on the CPAP forum some said their o2 levels dropped into the 60% range not sure how they are able to survive somehow they did. My sleep study showed I stopped breathing 2-3 times per minute. I was labeled with extreme OSA while I could lose about 40lbs I'm not extremely obese like what I see at the sleep doctor most were 100-200 lbs overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance