Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 09:30 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times

Advertisements

I have a serious question about health insurance.

I'm seriously planning to quit my job in the near future. I don't expect to be collecting unemployment, though if I am fired or laid off, so be it.

I was an 'unemployed' student almost 10 years and I remember being on ACA and what I remember is that it was for all intents and purposes free, though I had almost zero reason to go to the doctor back then.

What would be the cost of ACA healthcare insurance for a single man (40s)? If I have to wait to qualify for free or highly subsidized insurance, how long would I have to wait after not having a job and having no income?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 09:45 PM

867 posts, read 723,875 times
There is no one answer to that question. Cost of the premiums and what plans are available to you will depend on your state and maybe even your county. You'll need to go to the website and investigate:

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
There is no one answer to that question. Cost of the premiums and what plans are available to you will depend on your state and maybe even your county. You'll need to go to the website and investigate:

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Good luck!
I think I did that last month. I think once you sign up 15 insurance agents call you and don't stop calling you. I can't give all the info because I don't not have a job yet. I'm just looking for a ballpark...

Old 04-09-2021, 10:21 PM

Says eligible for Medicaid assuming my income for the year is what I earned right now and I won't earn any more.

Wont let me shop for plans unless I confirm my job loss, etc, etc.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:26 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Says eligible for Medicaid assuming my income for the year is what I earned right now and I won't earn any more.

Wont let me shop for plans unless I confirm my job loss, etc, etc.
That's correct. As of now, sounds like, based on the income you've earned this far this year, you qualify for Medicaid.

Did you fill out the actual application, or just use a quick plan estimator? If not, you need to do so in order to sign up for coverage. If they're looking for documentation before you can choose a plan, than send it in. You don't need a job to sign up for insurance.

Also keep in mind that, due to federal legislation, even if you get another job you will be allowed to keep the Medicaid for the duration of the pandemic.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:11 AM

867 posts, read 723,875 times
Quote:
I think I did that last month. I think once you sign up 15 insurance agents call you and don't stop calling you. I can't give all the info because I don't not have a job yet. I'm just looking for a ballpark...

I've never had an insurance company call or email me since I registered with the ACA. I did after getting a quote through a commercial website, however.

Here, try this:

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/#/

Quote:
Preview 2021 plans and estimated prices

You can browse plans here any time. Next, we'll send you to log in or create an account if you want to apply and enroll in a 2021 plan

Old 04-10-2021, 09:21 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
I have a serious question about health insurance.

I'm seriously planning to quit my job in the near future. I don't expect to be collecting unemployment, though if I am fired or laid off, so be it.

I was an 'unemployed' student almost 10 years and I remember being on ACA and what I remember is that it was for all intents and purposes free, though I had almost zero reason to go to the doctor back then.

What would be the cost of ACA healthcare insurance for a single man (40s)? If I have to wait to qualify for free or highly subsidized insurance, how long would I have to wait after not having a job and having no income?

Thanks.
Go on your exchange and plug in your details. Either healthcare.gov or state exchange.

My guess is a bronze plan would be somewheres around 400/month, but that's just a guess. It's about 300 for me in my mid 30s. Will vary depending on location quite a bit. How much, if any, welfare you receive depends on your income. Enrollment is November to January although there's special enrollment. Not really sure how that works.

With no income you won't qualify for ACA. You'd be either on Medicaid or nothing depending on income for the partial year worked and whether your state expanded Medicaid coverage. Depending how much you earned in the partial year, you might qualify. It's based off last year's income as far as the welfare payment estimates and then adjusted when you file taxes for the year. The repayments are capped depending on income though. Say you qualify for a 200/month welfare payment based on last year's income, quit working and don't make enough to qualify for ACA this year, you won't have to pay much of it back. Probably better to just go straight on Medicaid though if you know that's going to be the case. Usually it's just a single application and if your income won't qualify for ACA it will just take that data and use it for applying for Medicaid.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:11 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I've never had an insurance company call or email me since I registered with the ACA. I did after getting a quote through a commercial website, however.

Here, try this:

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/#/
Huh... SEP only through August 15. The Federal Marketplace needs to take a tip from NYSOH. Our Open Enrollment Period now extends all the way to December 31st.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:08 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,192,224 times
*****Really....do this******

Contact a insurance Broker
Not a insurance agent
They do not get paid a commission
They are not beholden to any insurance company

My sister and husband did this. They had been paying full price for health insurance. The broker found they are eligible for our states (Minnesota) ACA sliding fee scale. Another person I know did this also and they helped them navigate to qualify for ACA/ Medicaid. They also do not charge a fee. They will help find a policy that works for you and explain the different ones available.

Insurance Broker.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:36 AM

1,492 posts, read 797,129 times
You can just go to healthcare.org and look under your state and find the same information for ACA health plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance