Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2022, 04:59 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,224 times

Advertisements

I was all set to get hip labrum and PAO surgery last week and this upcoming week, but because of Covid and the shortage of hospital beds, I was told that all elective surgeries have to be put on hold until January 14th. My doctor's office said that their next available appointment is on January 24th but it's very possible that it could get postponed again. I looked at the rising cases and it looks like it's the worst it's ever been. I'm questioning if I would even be able to get it this year. I recently started a new job and have until the end of this upcoming week to select an insurance. I'm on Medicaid currently because I was without a job since January 2021 but when I called the Medicaid office they said I can still stay on it even if I get employer insurance because of the pandemic. I think my insurance would be primary and they would be secondary. I'm having a hard time deciding which insurance to get. If I get surgery, then I would get the most premium option, which is $86/month. I think out of pocket max is under $3,000. I would even get an FSA if I knew I would get surgery. If I don't get surgery, I would get an HSA so I can save money to use for the future but the out of pocket max is over $6000 so it would be very expensive if I do get the surgery while on HSA. If I'm on an HSA, I wouldn't qualify to stay on Medicaid, I don't think, but I think I'd be able to stay on it with the premium insurance.

Thinking on it now, it looks like the premium option might be the best for me. If I don't get surgery, it would have costed over $1000 to pay for the premium and of course, I wouldn't get the over $3000 to my account from an HSA, so I'd be down $4000 but if I get the HSA and end up getting surgery, I would have to pay probably over $6000 to meet my deductible. But if I had some money in there for the doctor I might end up paying around $4000 as well. Maybe it's all the same in the end and I'm overthinking this? Any thoughts on my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance