Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 06:09 AM

247 posts, read 177,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockvilleDave View Post
I contacted directly, FirstCare Medplus a BCBS company and Globe. very good service. They explained how HD-F works and gave me quote of 62 and 44.50 for a 70 year old. I called Philadelphia First, they took my contact info and gave an agent number in my area. When I called, he explained the details and said HD-G has the best value and he can enroll me on Medigap same day and the cost was $42.00/month. I called United American, after waiting for 7-8 minutes, I was transferred to marketing, another 8-10 minutes wait and spoke to someone. She took details and said an agent will call me. Never heard from the agent. Already 8 days passed. Looks like their customer service is sloppy. If they don't call me for enrolling, if for any reason, I need their help in future, I may not get.

Looks like Globe or Philadelphia American are my choices now. Globe increases over 20% at 75 and 80 years and Philadelphia just 10%. Not sure about customer service at Philadelphia American or its parent company New Era Life Insurance. Any one has experience with either one of them or sticking with Globe is better?.
One thing you don’t hear much about is customer service issues with Medigap plans.

That’s because, unlike regular medical insurance, the Medigap insurers don’t make any decisions regarding your bill. If Medicare paid, then your Medigap insurer just processes what they receive from Medicare and pays what is appropriate. The whole thing is seamless.

Many people report that they never (or hardly ever) have to contact their Medigap insurer. I have called mine a grand total of once, which was in regard to a rather mundane billing question I had.

Since the Birthday Rule is being implemented in Maryland, you are in the enviable position of being able to change insurers a year from now if need be.

Last edited by CharlieAllnut; 06-04-2023 at 06:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 07:39 AM

89 posts, read 71,051 times
Dave, Philadelphia American has an additional 6% household discount if your spouse is a member. Seems like, at least price-wise, you can’t beat them.

Whatever you decide, please report back to us with your impressions.

Old 06-14-2023, 01:22 PM

18 posts, read 16,874 times
Thanks LSLover's. The agent I spoke to said they have household discount. Do you have their HD G plan?. If so, what's your experience?. Looking for someone with Philadelphia American or their parent company New Era life experience feedback.

It's almost 3 weeks since I called United American and gave them my details. They said their agent will call me for the quote. No calls till now. So, I called them again. I was transferred three times to different department and finally got the message thanking me for calling United American and asked me to respond to two questions survey about my experience. I called them again after 10 minutes, this time someone asked me to give my details even though I told her I already gave the details. When I reminded her that I already gave my details, she told me it takes 2-4 weeks for the agent to get back to me with a quote.

Now my choice is narrowed to Globe and Philadelphia American. Globe is part of United American and many on CD recommend/have United American. Globe is only couple of dollars a month more and I was able to talk to them directly every time I called them. Since we have Birthday Rule starting July 1st 2023, I can go to the lowest premium company and change if required during next Birthday. I go to the doctor once a year for annual physical and once every 4-5 years cardiologist for general checkup.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:32 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
Quote:
Thanks LSLover's. The agent I spoke to said they have household discount. Do you have their HD G plan?. If so, what's your experience?. Looking for someone with Philadelphia American or their parent company New Era life experience feedback.

It's almost 3 weeks since I called United American and gave them my details. They said their agent will call me for the quote. No calls till now. So, I called them again. I was transferred three times to different department and finally got the message thanking me for calling United American and asked me to respond to two questions survey about my experience. I called them again after 10 minutes, this time someone asked me to give my details even though I told her I already gave the details. When I reminded her that I already gave my details, she told me it takes 2-4 weeks for the agent to get back to me with a quote.
If you are shopping HD Medigap plans, be advised many agents are less than enthusiastic when it comes to promoting these plans. In fact, many won't volunteer information on HD plans, unless the prospect specifically asks about those plans. Even then, they may make it known they don't recommend HD plans.

At least that was my experience when shopping plans. But I understand why, now. First, the low premiums on HD plans means low commissions for those agents. And second, a deductible (which is really a max-out-of-pocket), that doesn't kick in until you hit $2700 in those out-of-pocket costs for 2023. So the agents end up getting complaints from clients that their Medigap plan never pays anything, because they never hit the annual maximum (which is really a good thing), so it makes the client feel like they aren't getting any benefit back from those monthly premiums.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:02 PM

You are right ged_782. HD plan G is not promoted by agents. That's what happened to my neighbor. He is very healthy and never doctored over 10 years before going to Medicare. He was advised to take HD-F, 8 years back. The agent convinced him to go on Plan G with United healthcare. In 8+ years, he went to doctor couple of times and now regrets for not taking HD F plan.

I read the last 6 years of this forum. Very informative. Thanks to CharlieAllnut, SCGamecock, Ariadne22 and many others for sharing their knowledge and putting their time in explaining simple ways. They are blessed and pray they have great health. Philadelphia American agent did say HD G plan is the way to go, best value for the buck. When someone asks me about Medicare, I send CD link and tell them to read last 5-6 years threads.

For me, now which company to go, that's why I started this thread. CharlieAllnut said go with the cheapest premium and change next year if you don't like as we will have Birthday Rule effective starting next month.
I called both companies 3-4 times and I was able to talk to someone within 1-2 minutes each time. Carefirst also responded fast, but they are 20 bucks/month more.

Old 06-15-2023, 05:01 AM

3,078 posts, read 1,542,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAllnut View Post
One thing you don’t hear much about is customer service issues with Medigap plans.

That’s because, unlike regular medical insurance, the Medigap insurers don’t make any decisions regarding your bill. If Medicare paid, then your Medigap insurer just processes what they receive from Medicare and pays what is appropriate. The whole thing is seamless.

Many people report that they never (or hardly ever) have to contact their Medigap insurer. I have called mine a grand total of once, which was in regard to a rather mundane billing question I had.

Since the Birthday Rule is being implemented in Maryland, you are in the enviable position of being able to change insurers a year from now if need be.
thats not quite true. Medigap cos , in my case BC, can turn your claim over to an investigative agency. then you can be harassed for months and the ins co wont do anything about the harassment. Happened to me. Ageism at its finest.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:50 PM

For those, whose Part B and D premiums are deducted from SS, are those deductions pre-tax deduction or we have to pay tax on them too?. For example, at work, our health insurance premiums are deducted on pre-tax basis, Is it the same with SS?. Thanks

Old 06-19-2023, 02:20 PM

89 posts, read 71,051 times
Default Part B, D

Quote:
For those, whose Part B and D premiums are deducted from SS, are those deductions pre-tax deduction or we have to pay tax on them too?. For example, at work, our health insurance premiums are deducted on pre-tax basis, Is it the same with SS?. Thanks
Dave,

The answer to your question is here: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502

Premiums you pay for Medicare Part B are a medical expense. You can deduct on Schedule A (Form 1040) only the part of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).

Whether Part B or D is deducted, or not, from your social security is irrelevant.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:06 PM

534 posts, read 480,051 times
Quote:
No. Retiree health insurance premiums of those with pensions aren't taken out pre-tax either.

The "premium conversion" does not exist outside of active employees, to my knowledge.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:19 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
We have had Aetna Medigap Plan F for 9 years. Located in Georgia. We are happy with it. Never had any issues. My husband has had among other things cancer and 2 knee replacements and every test available for cognitive. I have had lots of issues also. Aetna has paid 100 % after Medicare with no hassles. Lucky to be grandfathered in to F but I know other plans are good also.
Also agree. We have switched to Aetna, Plan N and are very happy with that, too. Not sure why we switched from F, but I assume it was discontinued where we live. We are also in GA.

If you are at all confused, go to a broker who knows the ins and out, according to your issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance