Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times

Advertisements

My brother has alot of health porblems unfortunatley. He has an extremely rare muscle disease. He has been having really bad headaches lately so he went for an MRI. He had to wait 1 month for the MRI.
He had some kind of panic attack when they put him in the machine as they put a helmet thing over his head and he said the machine was 1/2 an inch from his face. He felt like he was being buried alive. I think he may be claustrophobic as even motorcycle helmets bother him.
They told him to get a prescription for ativan anf then try again.
Anyone else have this problem when getting a head mri done and how did you get through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM

245 posts, read 586,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
My brother has alot of health porblems unfortunatley. He has an extremely rare muscle disease. He has been having really bad headaches lately so he went for an MRI. He had to wait 1 month for the MRI.
He had some kind of panic attack when they put him in the machine as they put a helmet thing over his head and he said the machine was 1/2 an inch from his face. He felt like he was being buried alive. I think he may be claustrophobic as even motorcycle helmets bother him.
Anyone else have this problem when getting a head mri done and how did you get through it.
They have standing MRI's.
I'm surprised that they didn't tell you that when he received his initial MRI.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:44 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times
Quote:
Have an MRI of the brain is extremely stressful. I don't usually suffer from claustrophobia, but I'm getting worse as I get older. I had a brain tumor in 2008 and had about 4 MRIs done prior to the surgery, and I've had 2 since. I'm getting to the point where I can't handle them anymore. It takes a lot of concentration and you need to be able to meditate and calm yourself or else some Valium is in order.

Once you are rolled into the machine, it is almost completely dark. You cannot move. Your mind races with questions about what if I cough, or sneeze, or choke....? With my MRIs, they often cover my face with a dry cloth so I can't see anything. That almost makes it better. I think the worst part is the noise. They are so loud that even ear protection does nothing to stifle it. My tests often involve contrast which makes the tests longer and more tortuous.

I have also had MRIs of my knee that were easy as pie compared to the head ones. I got to go in feet first for those with my head out of the machine.

I can completely understand the challenge. Some areas offer an "open MRI" but any good physician or surgeon will not recommend them since the results are "enhanced." Basically that means what the scan does not show, they kind of make up.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I have had two. With the first one, I was given Valium before. I don't know how much, but it worked. I went to sleep and didn't mind it at all.

BUT for the second one, I didn't have anything. I was a crying wreck when they finally took me out. I don't think I could have stood it a minute longer. The noise was horrible and I kept thinking that it would be over soon, but every second seemed like hours!!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I am claustrophobic and had to have Librium IV. and they gave me a headset with music and my son stood at my feet, patting my foot from time to time. Still was a bad time.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
They have standing MRI's.
I'm surprised that they didn't tell you that when he received his initial MRI.

Not in Canada. Also my brother says the standing and open mri's don't produce as good of an image. He has a masters degree in electrical engineering so he knows all about technology etc. Based on the responses the head mti sounds horrible.

Last edited by KylieEve; 07-20-2010 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: .

Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM

245 posts, read 586,062 times
Quote:
Not in Canada. Also my brother says the standing and open mri's don't produce as good of an image. He has a masters degree in electrical engineering so he knows all about technology etc. Based on the responses the head mti sounds horrible.
What does your brother having his EE have to do w/ anything?
EE's may design MRI's but they hardly qualified to define what is a "good" MRI image and what is not.

And I know for a FACT that two hospitals in Windsor have standing MRI's.
I'd also have a hard time believing that major cities like Vancouver,Toronto,Ottawa and Montreal don't have standing MRI machines.

I think that you have been misinformed.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
What does your brother having his EE have to do w/ anything?
EE's may design MRI's but they hardly qualified to define what is a "good" MRI image and what is not.

And I know for a FACT that two hospitals in Windsor have standing MRI's.
I'd also have a hard time believing that major cities like Vancouver,Toronto,Ottawa and Montreal don't have standing MRI machines.

I think that you have been misinformed.
No I haven't been misinformed. Ottawa DOES NOT have a standing mri. NO ONE in Canada has a standing mri. There are open mri's in Calgary(too far) and Montreal(2 hours away so ok) but my brother would have to pay 1000.00+ to get one.
My brother is extremely intelligent and researches things quite a bit. Why don't you google and you will find out that open mri's have a poorer picture quality than traditional mri's.
PLEASE GIVE ME THE WEBSITE then proving that there is a standing mri in windsor(7 hour drive for him).
I did my research.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM

[quote=redjan1225;15123936]Have an MRI of the brain is extremely stressful. I don't usually suffer from claustrophobia, but I'm getting worse as I get older. I had a brain tumor in 2008 and had about 4 MRIs done prior to the surgery, and I've had 2 since. I'm getting to the point where I can't handle them anymore. It takes a lot of concentration and you need to be able to meditate and calm yourself or else some Valium is in order.

Once you are rolled into the machine, it is almost completely dark. You cannot move. Your mind races with questions about what if I cough, or sneeze, or choke....? With my MRIs, they often cover my face with a dry cloth so I can't see anything. That almost makes it better. I think the worst part is the noise. They are so loud that even ear protection does nothing to stifle it. My tests often involve contrast which makes the tests longer and more tortuous.

I have also had MRIs of my knee that were easy as pie compared to the head ones. I got to go in feet first for those with my head out of the machine.

I can completely understand the challenge. Some areas offer an "open MRI" but any good physician or surgeon will not recommend them since the results are "enhanced." Basically that means what the scan does not show, they kind of make up.[/quote]

See BANEVADER another person who agrees that traditional mri's give a better image. Are YOU qualified to dispute this?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,360 times
Standing vs. open vs. regular MRI's is not the way to clarify the quality of the images produced during the scan. It is the strength of the magnetic. There are plenty of high quality images produced everyday with these machines. There are a lot of people who cannot go into a regular machine, for reasons other than claustrophobia, such as weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness