Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times

Advertisements

Hi there
Wondering if anyone takes these shots. My dh is a cancer survivor for 12 years and needs these shots. He just told me he didnt take it for over 9 months. I am so angry as he has been depressed, angry, lack of energy, no interest in anything, but yet its ok for him not to take the shot so that he may have a better life and a better quality of life.

I have been trying to find out what was wrong and asked him to see a therpist, to go on zoloft or something like that, but he shot everything down. Couldnt figure out what was wrong.

Now I am the bad guy as I made a doctors appt for him for today. His claim is that he hates taking the shots. Once every 2-3 weeks!! He could go to the nurse and she would give it to him ; I did try years ago and hurt him.

Ok, I get the not liking the shots thing, but what other option does he have. He did try the gel and the patches but they didnt work either.

any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:17 AM

33 posts, read 182,075 times
OkayDorothy,

Your post is a little sketchy on some details so let me make some assumptions. "dh" is your Dear Husband? And, he's taking testosterone shots because of cancer? I'm assuming prostate or testicular? Surgical removal? Not sure but what I would recommend is checking out some websites to find answers.

One is: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...dism2/messages
Another is: Eunuch Archives....go to the forum and read about the effects of testosterone elimination in men and replacement therapy. It's an alternative type of website but the information on this topic is quite involved because the people in the forums are the ones dealing with the issue.
There are many sources of information on this topic through online medical websites, just do some searching.

Don't forget about other factors like diet and lifestyle. Elimination of testosterone in men causes many of the emotional issues you mentioned. It's similar to menopause in women. Diet can help with future cancer issues as well as vitamin D levels. Does the person in question stay out of sunlight most of the time? Taking a vitamin D supliment as well as gettin about 20 minutes of sun per day is helpful. Do some checking around.

Sage113

Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
Yes, dh is dear husband. Yes, he did have testicular cancer and had both removed. So as a result he is on testosterone shots ; or well is supposed to be on them
Yesterday he went to the endocronogist and she gave him a new gel to try. Lets see how it works ; I hope better.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Yes, dh is dear husband. Yes, he did have testicular cancer and had both removed. So as a result he is on testosterone shots ; or well is supposed to be on them
Yesterday he went to the endocronogist and she gave him a new gel to try. Lets see how it works ; I hope better.
Oh, good. I was going to mention that shots aren't the only way to get testosterone; besides the gel, there's also a testosterone patch.

My DH was borderline low on his testosterone, and so he's just had blood drawn for a retest. We shall see what happens.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
He can learn to give himself the shots if you don't want to do it. He'll feel more normal with the proper dosage. He would need to get his doctor to suggest a proper site so that he can reach it easily. It would most likely be the thigh or stomach area.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:15 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
Wondering if anyone takes these shots.
Yes, I do. (once every week). And I had the biggest fear of needles. Can I ask where he was administering them, and perhaps the technique he was using? I found injecting into the upper thigh with one hand grasping the muscle so that the skin is pinched up a bit to be almost painless most of the time (for a while I was taking 2 ibuprofen 200mg an hour before; now I don't even do it anymore 'cause I found that it really doesn't make a difference). And even when it does hurt, it's only for not more than a minute and it doesn't hurt that bad.

What I really found is that my fear of needles was for the most part all in my mind. Probably doesn't help any, but the shots are the cheapest (if you don't have insurance, and sometimes even if you do depending on your plan) and at least from what I heard the least problematic (if you can get over fear of needles). I heard the gel stuff smells bad and gets all over the place. There is an oral form, yet it is incredibly rough on the liver.

I was a huge scardey-cat when it came to needles, I coudn't even stand to look at them. I can't believe that I give myself my own shots now (and give them to other people too [b/c of my profession])--it's like I felt that if I can do it, anyone can do it--that's how bad it was. I don't know, like I said, I'm sure it doesn't help, but I guess just one needle-fearing person's story about how overcoming a fear of needles in order to acheive something is in fact possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness