Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times

Advertisements

I don't know what or why this is but I've had nose bleeds all my life (it seems). I'm 32 years old. Last January I had a real bad experience that I ended up going to the ER for. The doc just sprayed some nasal saline up my nose and sent me on my way.

2 weeks ago I started noticing blood. Wasn't sure why. I work out and it got to the point of where I couldn't even get past 7 push ups before I was dripping.

I've been told nose bleeds come from allergies and dry air. I don't know what I'm allergic to that would cause them, and I've heard it said the air gets dryer come winter time.

2 weeks ago when I had the first encounter, I started shooting up some Ayr nasal saline. I figured maybe my nasal passages are dry. Did that for a few days and was able to do all my push ups (47) w/o bleeding during a training test. (praise God)

Then the bleeding starts up again a few days later out of the blue. Then a few days roll by.

This past Monday I had quite a messy experience in the bathroom. After that after a day or so i had a little bit of a runny nose but no bleeding. The packing eventually worked it's way loose and it felt like a booger up there in my nose. left it for a few more day, no more blood. Figured maybe I was on the way to recovery.

Starting yesterday I began using some more saline to help myself out. This morning I repeated again. I usually do 2 shots to each nostril, maybe 6-12 hrs apart, if I can remember.

Last night before I went to bed I had a headache. I took 2 Tylenol b/c I know Ibuprofen is a blood thinner, and I figured with the recent nose bleed problems, the last thing I need is a blood thinner.

So at 5:30 am I woke up, and shot 2 shots of Ayr in my nostrils. Well 10 minutes after shooting up I'm laying in bed and feel blood go down the back of my throat. Guess I wasn't in the clear. Maybe I washed off the last of the blood clot?

About 45 minutes later (30 after I got it stopped) I hocked up/spat out what I think was a blood clot. Yuck. Could feel it running down the back of my throat. Looked like a big red ball.

Other than that no other issues since and I'm still trying to recover.

So now I'm looking for ways to reduce this. I really hate nose bleeds. Especially at night getting woke up by one. I feel i must be the only guy that has this many problems. I dunno. Maybe it's just me?

I always bleed more out the left nostril than I do the right. I also use a steam humidifier at night when I sleep that blows visible steam out. I even have it right by my bed and blowing at me, though sometimes the fan pushes the steam path away, othertimes I feel the droplets land on me.

There happens to be a heat duct right over my bed....should I move my bed away from the heat duct? Maybe the furnace is blowing dry air right on me?

Should I stop using this Ayr nasal saline?

Should I move to a more humid climate? I've lived in Indiana, North Carolina and finally Missouri...all 3 states I've had them.

I am not on any blood thinners. I've not had a drink of alcohol in the last month and a half. I did eat a bowl of chilli last night but it wasn't really spicy. I even left off the Tabasco, as I believe spicy hot stuff can cause me to bleed.

What can i do to reduce this/eliminate it?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 07:14 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Have you checked your blood pressure?

Also keep some Afrin on hand as it wil stop a nosebleed fairly quickly, even some of those at the back of the nose that you can't stop with pressure.

I don't know I do have a co-worker who has the problem (and has had to have her nose packed several times) and it is not BP related but for me it was definitely so. All it takes is a short spike.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
Maybe you should see an ear,nose and throat Doctor?
Maybe there is a vein or capilary or something that is causing your nosebleeds..
I had this problem when I was a child, I would get massive nosebleeds that would even alarm the school nurse.
Mom took me to a doctor but I dont remember him doing anything special.
I'm almost 41 now and dont remember having one since my teens.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Yes my blood pressure is fine, as I have it checked at least once annually (usually twice...once at the dentists office and then again during my annual personal health assessment) and no issues.

I just got done having another nose bleed, I sneezed but I held my mouth open, guess that was too much.

I do have a deviated septum...can that cause nose bleeds?

Is there a best place to pinch to stop the flow? I've heard there's a pressure point mid point on the nose but I've also heard to pinch the end of the bony part of the nose....is this where the pressure points are?

Does the Afrin stuff really work?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Yes a deviated septum can cause nosebleeds.
When a deviated septum is severe, it can block one side of your nose and reduce airflow. Resulting signs and symptoms can include difficulty breathing, nasal congestion, nosebleeds and frequent sinus infections.
You need surgery to correct a deviated septum.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:57 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
You may have a "bleeder." The usual progression is saline, then cauterization, then surgery. My father had deadly severe nosebleeds. He was instructed to use vaseline on a Q-tip to coat the interior of the nose, and if he had a bleed to use vaseline coated packing. The doctors eventually told him to move south or die (he might have been a challenging patient ) He moved to an island in the middle of a river in Florida and never had another nosebleed problem.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
See an ENT and explain about the frequency of the bleeds. He can cauterize a spot if he sees one right there in the office. I had to have it done when I had nasal surgery and developed a bleed in the night that wouldn't stop - he met me at his office and took care of it in a minute or two.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:02 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
I, too, have a deviated septum........only knew about it when an ENT scoped me for reflux....that night I almost wound up in the ER with a nosebleed in the back of the nose where you can't hold it off. But mine did pretty much stop when the BP went under control.

I remembered that the ER used Afrin with my mother when she had a MAJOR bleed....the Afrin stopped it then they shoved a tampon like thing up her nose. The Afrin stopped it for me at a point where we were getting ready to go to the ER and it also stopped one when my dog jumped into my face as I was bending over. It really does help...for the bleed....I keep it in my home emergency kit just for that.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 AM

175 posts, read 846,624 times
I have had terrible nose bleeds for years and usually ended up in the ER to get them stopped. When I have a nose bleed it is one that flows freely and actually makes me weak and sick.
I used saline sprays for a long time and couldn't figure out why they did not work. I went to an AARP who told me that the saline can actutally after long time use, dry out the nose and I was told to stop them. One night with blood all over me in the ER a nose Dr. was working on me to get the bleeding stopped. He confirmed to me to stop the saline sprays and start putting ointment in my nose.
I have done that starting with the first time the furnaces start coming on at home and in other homes and businesses as they are what dries out the nose so badly.
I do this all winter and never let my nose get even the slightest dry. I go down to the Walmart and buy the Triple Anitbiotic Ointment generic. With a cotton swab I put it in before bed and then again in the morning. If I wake up in the night I put it in if my nose is dry. Even during the day if my nose starts to get dry. I don't stuff my nose with it but I just make sure that the nose has a thin layer in it. If you use too much you might have trouble with it going down in the stomach or even lungs. I put it up in the nose and it works fine. For the first time in years I do not have nosebleeds.
I had tried everything and had my nose cauterized several times. It would hold for a while but the nose bleeds kept coming back until I used the ointment. It is a nuisance to put it in, but I am glad to get rid of those horrible nosebleeds.
Wishing you the best.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:58 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Op, in addition to what other posters have stated consider increasing your water consumption in the winter as well as humidifying your home. If you do not have a humidifier on your HVAC system you can use the individual room (portable) ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness