Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times

Advertisements

That's just FYI-type info for those who listen to conventional doctors as if their (highly biased) words are gospel, to their schedules, and think they're doing something good for themselves. I don't plan to argue about it; most likely I will not even post on this thread anymore. Take it as you wish. Btw, the same goes for CAT scans, MRI's, the new scanners at the airports, and every other source of radiation.

"Routine mammography delivers an unrecognized high dose of radiation, warn Drs. Epstein and Bertell. If a woman follows the current guidelines for premenopausal screening, over a 10 year period she would receive a total dosage of about 5 rads.

This approximates the level of exposure to radiation of a Japanese woman one mile from the epicenter of atom bombs dropped on Hiroshima or Nagasaki."

The risks of mammograms far outweigh their benefit, which is why I encourage you to think for yourself and consider safer, more effective alternatives.

Cancer, a Man-Made Disease | Causes and Prevention

Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
You quote nonsense from Mercola like its "gospel"

If Mercola were in print form it wouldn't be worth wrapping fish in....

Cancer isn't "new"....

But hey, maybe you can convince a few women whose lives might otherwise be saved by early detection of breast cancer to "skip out" on that life saving test

If that is your goal....well done

Oh, and btw, MRI's do NOT emit radiation....guess we can assume you aren't an expert in this arena....

Some more "fun facts" to debunk the myths you are trying to sell..

You do realize (probably not) that everyone of us is exposed to "background radiation" every day...from the earth, air and especially the sun...

The amount of "background radiation" one accumulates in one year is the equivalent to what a mammogram exposes one to....

So the average 40 year old woman has been already been exposed to 8-10 times as much radiation as those one mile from the epicenter of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Ok....

Carry on with the scare tactics now....

Old 12-03-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You quote nonsense from Mercola like its "gospel"

If Mercola were in print form it wouldn't be worth wrapping fish in....

Cancer isn't "new"....

But hey, maybe you can convince a few women whose lives might otherwise be saved by early detection of breast cancer to "skip out" on that life saving test

If that is your goal....well done

Oh, and btw, MRI's do NOT emit radiation....guess we can assume you aren't an expert in this arena....

Some more "fun facts" to debunk the myths you are trying to sell..

You do realize (probably not) that everyone of us is exposed to "background radiation" every day...from the earth, air and especially the sun...

The amount of "background radiation" one accumulates in one year is the equivalent to what a mammogram exposes one to....

So the average 40 year old woman has been already been exposed to 8-10 times as much radiation as those one mile from the epicenter of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Ok....

Carry on with the scare tactics now....
Well, I don't have personal experience with cancer (knock wood), but I do have personal experience with an autoimmune disease (you know, those who nobody used to have even in the past we can remember). I was eating processed food and using artificial sweeteners (the latter - a lot!). I also was found to be severely deficient in vit D (mind you, it’s not like a conventional doctor every suggested this test), even though I live in Tucson and don't wear sunscreen other than on the beach and I spend time outdoors. I was on steroids for some time because there was no other choice at this point, but after getting my vit D level up and drastically changing my diet I function on my own and plan to continue doing so despite the predictions for the return of the disease. If you open your eyes, it may very well not return.

Btw, I read only recently in a mainstream magazine an article about the harmful radiation cause by CAT scans. However, you be my guest and get all the radiation you please! I've no issue with that. I'm trying to help more open-minded and smarter people who may just not be aware of medical stuff - like I wasn't before I had a reason to be.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Oh, and btw, MRI's do NOT emit radiation....
You may be right - I've never had it and added it on a whim, thinking it works like CAT scans. If I'm wrong her, I openly admit it. However, the rest still stands.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,964 times
MRIs do not emit radiation.

Exposure to unnecessary radiation is something I'm very concerned about. I'm in a high risk pregnancy with twins that they want to see via ultrasound a minimum of once per month. Most pregnant women get 2-3 ultrasounds their entire pregnancies. I've had 3 and am 3 months along.

I have to put my trust in the doctors. The fear is that a rare condition called twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome could begin to take place and without prompt medical intervention, I could lose both babies.

So the thought of losing my babies (after one previous miscarriage) keeps me going back for ultrasounds in accordance with the perinatologist's directions. Because her specialty is high-risk and I trust her with all 3 of our lives, I follow her direction.

That being said, I will be passing on my annual dental x-ray in February and letting it go until my next check-up in August. It just isn't a necessary since I'm not having problems and why risk it?

Bottom line, I can understand both sides of the coin here. There are certainly benefits to having tests that will expose patients to small amounts of radiation. But do doctors overdue it sometimes putting a patient at unnecessary risk?

Old 12-03-2010, 03:46 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,421,734 times
Foor some good radiation exposure info (by the US EPA), go to:
Personal Exposure | RadTown USA | US EPA

then click on personal exposure. It lists a wide variety of potential sources of exposure.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's just FYI-type info for those who listen to conventional doctors as if their (highly biased) words are gospel, to their schedules, and think they're doing something good for themselves. I don't plan to argue about it; most likely I will not even post on this thread anymore. Take it as you wish. Btw, the same goes for CAT scans, MRI's, the new scanners at the airports, and every other source of radiation.

"Routine mammography delivers an unrecognized high dose of radiation, warn Drs. Epstein and Bertell. If a woman follows the current guidelines for premenopausal screening, over a 10 year period she would receive a total dosage of about 5 rads.

This approximates the level of exposure to radiation of a Japanese woman one mile from the epicenter of atom bombs dropped on Hiroshima or Nagasaki."

The risks of mammograms far outweigh their benefit, which is why I encourage you to think for yourself and consider safer, more effective alternatives.

Cancer, a Man-Made Disease | Causes and Prevention
I agree that CT scans are over utilized, especially in an Emergency Room situation, where they are sometimes used as a convenient substitute for diagnostic acumen. They are quick and get a lot of information.

But the cancer risk may be over estimated: Cancer risk from medical radiation may have been overestimated :
"Our findings indicate a significantly lower risk of developing cancer from CT than previous estimates of 1.5 percent to 2.0 percent of the population," said coauthor Scott Atlas, M.D., chief of neuroradiology at the Stanford University Medical Center. "Regardless, the increasing reliance on CT scans underscores the importance of monitoring CT utilization and its consequences."

I disagree that the risks of mammography outweigh the benefits. My aunt and mother-in-law are both long-term breast cancer survivors thanks to regular mammograms.

See here for info on radiation exposure form diagnostic tests (including airport scanners).

Questions & Answers: Initiative to Reduce Unnecessary Radiation Exposure from Medical Imaging

Old 12-03-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
You may be right - I've never had it and added it on a whim, thinking it works like CAT scans. If I'm wrong her, I openly admit it. However, the rest still stands.
So you admit that you know nothing about what you posted...but the...rest..still ...stands....stands as what???

Nonsense??

Got it

Old 12-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't have personal experience with cancer (knock wood), but I do have personal experience with an autoimmune disease (you know, those who nobody used to have even in the past we can remember). I was eating processed food and using artificial sweeteners (the latter - a lot!). I also was found to be severely deficient in vit D (mind you, it’s not like a conventional doctor every suggested this test), even though I live in Tucson and don't wear sunscreen other than on the beach and I spend time outdoors. I was on steroids for some time because there was no other choice at this point, but after getting my vit D level up and drastically changing my diet I function on my own and plan to continue doing so despite the predictions for the return of the disease. If you open your eyes, it may very well not return.

Btw, I read only recently in a mainstream magazine an article about the harmful radiation cause by CAT scans. However, you be my guest and get all the radiation you please! I've no issue with that. I'm trying to help more open-minded and smarter people who may just not be aware of medical stuff - like I wasn't before I had a reason to be.
What are you babbling on about now??

Auto immune diseases didn't exist in WHOSE past??

Diabetes is an autoimmune disease and has been recorded since written history began....at least 2000 years ago....mentioned by the egyptians and ancient greeks...

So yeah...

Autoimmune diseases....QUITE a RECENT malady...

If you live in AZ and get frequent sun exposure you are getting MUCH more radiation annually than me....but hey knock yourself out...and don't think about getting that mammogram

And keep on "helping" those "smarter" people with "open minds" avoid potentially life saving testing......there will be a special place in heaven for you no doubt

Old 12-03-2010, 05:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,963 times
MRI's do emit radiation, but it isn't ionizing radiation. No one is quite sure, however, what effect so much electro-magnetic radiation will ultimately have on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness