Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times

Advertisements

Aveeno is not made from oats. Aveeno claims that there are "Active Naturals" in their products. These "Active Naturals" could be derived from soy, oats, feverfew, shiitake mushrooms, and a few other herbs. Remember that body care products are not bound by rigid rules or laws like other industries. Labels or claims mean very little. The companies making these products can make any claim and slap it on their packaging and sell it to you. There is very little regulation regarding what goes into these products, and often even less testing done prior to marketing the products. Here is an informative read: Premium Body Care | WholeFoodsMarket.com (I know... it's a Whole Foods Market article, and people love to snub Whole Foods... but it does have some great info within it.)

If you are allergic to mushrooms, don't use Aveeno products. We learned this the hard way with our youngest son, who ended up in ER on Xmas Eve due to using Aveeno so I feel I should warn other parents out there, as well as other people thinking of trying Aveeno products. Aveeno was recommended to us by our previous dermatologist, she claimed it was a very good and gentle product and good for people with sensitive skin and allergies. I'm also allergic to lavender, and so I cannot use Aveeno products because they also contain ingredients derived from the lavender plant. Aveeno makes me break out in a horrible rash.

I'm glad it works for other people, lucky people! But I just needed to share our experiences with Aveeno because they were pretty scary. And I keep hearing it said so often that it's such a good product, so safe, etc. Not for everybody, I guess.

I think for something like eczema you really need to find the most gentle, pure ingredients you can possibly find to use for your skin. Try to stay away from fragrances, colorings, and even essential oils or herbs or additives that do little but add a dubious claim to the product. Finding a good dermatologist who really knows what they're talking about is helpful, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,814 times
ive been using sebamed cleansing shower oil and baby cream for my eczema...it is like hitting a jackpot.ive tried everything.Sebamed works

Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
Does anyone know if this can be used for psoriasis? I have a prescription but it thins out the skin and not so effective. When it starts to help I have to go off of it as you can't use it for more than two weeks in a row.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think for something like eczema you really need to find the most gentle, pure ingredients you can possibly find to use for your skin. Try to stay away from fragrances....
So true. I cannot use Aveeno, either, and products like Vaseline Intensive Care cause me to break out in a rash. Other than using prescribed hydrocortisone for flare-ups, I use Avon Moisture Therapy which is a miracle cream and has saved me hundreds of dollars in prescription medication over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness