Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I am 34 living in Northern Indiana and have had SAD since I was about 27. Since then the winters have got worse and worse and it's now the worst winter I have ever had. Severe depression and a feeling of isolation that I did not ever feel possible. The meds and light lamps no longer work. I feel like I am much older than I am mentally and physically.
I have been told my 3 doctors that I should consider moving to a warmer climate and that this condition wont get better only worse, so far they are right. I have no kids and little family.
I work with a national company who can transfer me and I have a friend in Ventura CA who will rent me a room. I'm going for it.
Anyone else have S.A.D?
I've posted before about this and so sorry if redundant however hell yes i suffer from SAD as i get really depressed and crave sweets if i don't feel the hot sun strike my skin and see it with eyes. Infact i'm constantly outdoors at the beach or playing basketball at the park etc. (no indoor crap) There was a study back in 2007 on ''Cell Journal'' explaining why sun worshipers crave the sun and they found an genetic component that when the suns rays strike our skin it activates the p53 gene which not only tans us but also releases endorphins and dopamine in our brains to feel a natural high in peoples with that carry the expressed gene

Suntan Gene May Explain Sun Worship - WebMD.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,760 times
Quote:
I am 34 living in Northern Indiana and have had SAD since I was about 27. Since then the winters have got worse and worse and it's now the worst winter I have ever had. Severe depression and a feeling of isolation that I did not ever feel possible. The meds and light lamps no longer work. I feel like I am much older than I am mentally and physically.
I have been told my 3 doctors that I should consider moving to a warmer climate and that this condition wont get better only worse, so far they are right. I have no kids and little family.
I work with a national company who can transfer me and I have a friend in Ventura CA who will rent me a room. I'm going for it.
Anyone else have S.A.D?
I thought I did, and so did my doctor, until I figured out that I really hate my job and the stress built up to an intolerable level around the same time SAD symptoms were supposed to occur. I'm a teacher. I've been on Lexapro, Prozac, and Trazadone of varying dosages and none seemed to help. This year, I went at this problem in a different direction and now take Xanax. I feel like a new woman. It was Anxiety this whole time which manifested itself as Depression.

I hope you can find what works for you. Have you changed all your light bulbs to the blue or "daylight" 100 watt variety? It's supposed to help. You should also try to get at least 15 mins of direct daylight each day actually shining in your eyes. See about Vitamin D as well. Lack of sunlight can decrease Vitamin D production. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I thought I did, and so did my doctor, until I figured out that I really hate my job and the stress built up to an intolerable level around the same time SAD symptoms were supposed to occur. I'm a teacher. I've been on Lexapro, Prozac, and Trazadone of varying dosages and none seemed to help. This year, I went at this problem in a different direction and now take Xanax. I feel like a new woman. It was Anxiety this whole time which manifested itself as Depression.

I hope you can find what works for you. Have you changed all your light bulbs to the blue or "daylight" 100 watt variety? It's supposed to help. You should also try to get at least 15 mins of direct daylight each day actually shining in your eyes. See about Vitamin D as well. Lack of sunlight can decrease Vitamin D production. Good luck!
I have done everything possible and nothing works. The lights are false and I know it so after I sit under the lights and go outside in the cold, dead, drab environment i actually feel worse than I did before the lamps. I have been on 5 different meds and none of it worked. Trust me I have been going through this for about 7 years and I have come to throw in th etowel and relocate.
I'm looking forward to it anyway, I have always wanted to live on the west coast and this just makes it easier to do so.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,760 times
Quote:
I have done everything possible and nothing works. The lights are false and I know it so after I sit under the lights and go outside in the cold, dead, drab environment i actually feel worse than I did before the lamps. I have been on 5 different meds and none of it worked. Trust me I have been going through this for about 7 years and I have come to throw in th etowel and relocate.
I'm looking forward to it anyway, I have always wanted to live on the west coast and this just makes it easier to do so.
Whatever works for you. I would move too!

The deal with the lights is that it has to reach the photoreptors in your eyes. Many people think that it's just on the skin, but your eyes are what sends the signal to your brain to produce your "feel good" hormones. But, if that is not working, then there is no need to continue.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM

92 posts, read 229,734 times
I, too, am a fellow SAD sufferer. It's gotten very bad in the past several years after we moved to WI (!) for DH's job. After living in NC and GA for 7 years, coming back North has been really hard. The lack of daylight (even now, it's dark before 5pm, and doesn't get light until after 7am), COLD temps, and basic lack of emotional support system sometimes makes me want to crawl into bed and not come back out. We're looking to move further south, but have not had luck finding another job for DH yet. It is sunny here quite often, but being out in the bitter cold then gives me migraines. Argh!!! It's time to look into getting a light box to see if it will help.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Quote:
Anyone else have S.A.D?
Yes. I feel your pain. I think we live by each other. I moved to the SB area a few years ago and the first winter I experienced here in Indiana put me in a deep depression. The house we rented had sidewalks along the curb (who's brilliant idea was that?) so after a few big snow storms the sidewalks are buried. Not to be seen again until spring. I couldn't take my dog for a walk. Also we had a rear wheel drive SUV that was horrible in the snow. I found myself staying at home more and I started to feel like I was going mad. The second winter was easier for some reason. Maybe because we had bought a house and I was busy with painting and organizing but this winter....ugh...it reminds me of the first. We have a better car now but everyday we get more snow. I see a lot of horrific accidents out and about and it again makes me just want to go home, curl up on the sofa and eat something. I looked into one of those light box thingys but I read the good ones are thousands of dollars. My Dr. recommended taking Vitamin D to help. We moved here for my husband's job and he is really happy with everything. He won't move again. So I guess I have to make the best of it. I envy your departure. I truly think I was not meant to live in the cold. My cousin lives in AZ and every time I post pictures on FB of the latest heap of snow we got, she tells me she is jealous. She is nuts. I am positive I would never miss the white stuff.

Last edited by fallingwater; 01-24-2011 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: odd sentence

Old 01-25-2011, 03:19 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Yes. I feel your pain. I think we live by each other. I moved to the SB area a few years ago and the first winter I experienced here in Indiana put me in a deep depression. The house we rented had sidewalks along the curb (who's brilliant idea was that?) so after a few big snow storms the sidewalks are buried. Not to be seen again until spring. I couldn't take my dog for a walk. Also we had a rear wheel drive SUV that was horrible in the snow. I found myself staying at home more and I started to feel like I was going mad. The second winter was easier for some reason. Maybe because we had bought a house and I was busy with painting and organizing but this winter....ugh...it reminds me of the first. We have a better car now but everyday we get more snow. I see a lot of horrific accidents out and about and it again makes me just want to go home, curl up on the sofa and eat something. I looked into one of those light box thingys but I read the good ones are thousands of dollars. My Dr. recommended taking Vitamin D to help. We moved here for my husband's job and he is really happy with everything. He won't move again. So I guess I have to make the best of it. I envy your departure. I truly think I was not meant to live in the cold. My cousin lives in AZ and every time I post pictures on FB of the latest heap of snow we got, she tells me she is jealous. She is nuts. I am positive I would never miss the white stuff.
Hi fellow South Bender
Everything you posted I know all too well. Where did you move here from? Just curious.
Yeah the lights dont work simply because I know that it's all fake and what's really outside is ice and snow and gloom that stops me from doing active things. I'm known as a realist and sometimes it works against me. lol.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Quote:
Hi fellow South Bender
Everything you posted I know all too well. Where did you move here from? Just curious.
Yeah the lights dont work simply because I know that it's all fake and what's really outside is ice and snow and gloom that stops me from doing active things. I'm known as a realist and sometimes it works against me. lol.
The Detroit burbs. A lot of people think Detroit gets a ton of snow but it really doesn't, well not like here. Lake effect is a whole another thing. We first lived in Mishawaka and I couldn't get over how there was no place to walk after we got a heavy snow. So it was easier to walk to the river instead of around the block. I may be fooling myself but it does seem like Spring arrives a tad earlier here. We moved into our house in March and there was no snow on the ground and a hoodie was plenty warm. So I tell myself...okay...March is coming. March is coming...

Sounds like the light boxes are a waste. Good thing cuz I don't have the money for one.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,926 times
i might have it, i know that i sleep alot more and dont feel as adventurous....

Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times
ooohhh yeah ... everything y'all have posted is me to a "T" .....

after my mom passed, my plan was to be back home in south texas by my 50th birthday in 2010.... well, the recession and real estate downturn put that on hold....

so, now i am aiming for my 55th birthday in 2015... i bought my house in 2004 and suspect i have lost most, if not all, of the equity i had in it.... hoping the economy rebounds sooner than later....

i have been here for 24 years now ... and the winters just get tougher and tougher on me EVERY year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness