Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Are these suggestions for life? Or just temporarily? Because if it's for life, that would explain alot of things for me. Since Ihad my surgery several years ago, I get acid reflux easier, I also get bloated easier.
Logically it's food issues for life, since the gallbladder is no longer in play in the digestive system.

Lo fat, lo salt, less spicy, higher lean protein, lo carb and absolutely no fried foods. Unless of course you enjoy being bloated, in pain, and grumpy.

Metamucil a day would always be beneficial to help digestion move through faster. Filling up on fiber filled veggies and fruits are ideal as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
Some say you can eat whatever you felt like eating after the surgery (including our surgeon), but I would still start with very bland foods that are easy to digest--gatorade, broth, jello, crackers. IMHO, you don't want to be twisting your guts around throwing up right after surgery and the meds make some people nauseated anyway. The abdomen is tender for at least a week after surgery and too much bending (like over a toilet) won't be good.

We found that it took some time to work back up to meals that had a lot of fat, spice or meat in them. Those will likely be problematic in the long-term, at least in large portions. In small portions, the family member who had theirs out is now able to eat them again, where they couldn't before the surgery.

Most "bad" foods will eventually be okay in moderation, but try to eat more healthy, fresh foods and compromise. Instead of a big platter of ribs, french fries and cole slaw (which would make anyone sick) most eventually would be okay having small portions of 1-2 of those things (pick the ones you're most craving) with something healthy substituted for the rest. You can eat the things you love again, but you have to be more sensible about it.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
If he starts having the burning bile salts diarrhea he needs to ask about getting some Questran. I still have my gallbladder, but I have IBS(D) and I'm thinking of asking for some myself.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 PM

400 posts, read 949,217 times
From my own personal experience, avoid all fried foods, spicy foods, fast food of any kind and take a fiber supplement if everything still runs straight through him. I had a horrible time after I had mine out but after several years I finally balanced out and can eat something fried or certian fast foods without it doing more than giving me soft stools. I notice if I eat too much of it, my body definately lets me know. One thing I strongly suggest not doing is taking any kind of anti diahrea medicine for a prolonged period of time if he's having problems with that. I took Immodium for a long time, not daily but probably once a week for a year or so and it really messed me up. I quite doing it when I found out it actually paralyzes your bowels. So it probably took me longer to get regulated because of that also. Everyone is different, he will just have to figure out what works best for him. For some reason eating a lot of roughage doesn't help me unless I also take a fiber supplement when doing it. It's a crap shoot I guess

Old 06-07-2016, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 14,228 times
If you feel you are having issues with digestion post gallbladder removal, try ox bile. Great reviews, it basically replaces your gallbladder function

Old 06-08-2016, 08:24 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
I didn't change my eating habits at all after my gall bladder was removed. I was never a big fried food eater to begin with but I have McDonalds and other fat food a few times a month. I have never had an adverse experience eating whatever I wanted these past 12 years, even the burning dark brown pepper in Genetal Tso chicken. I do not even miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness