Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 35,923 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I fractured my tibia 8 weeks ago. It was a spiral fracture and the doctor put a titanium rod in my leg and 2 screws by the ankle and 2 by my knee. I wore a regular cast for 2 weeks and have been in an aircast since. I went for x-rays 2 weeks ago and was told to still not put weight on it. Part of the fracture had new bone growth, but there was still a definite break that needs to heal. I go back on the 13th. My OS said it looked normal for the timeframe, but I was really depressed. I have a few questions I hope someone can please help me with. Should it take this long to heal? Should I or can I do anything to speed it along? Is it still normal for my leg to swell after being in the aircast all day? Is it also normal to feel some pain every now and then where the fracture is? Finally, did anyone else have pain in their knee from where the rod was stuck in? That seems to be where the majority of my pain is. Thank you very much to anyone who can give me some personal insight. Sorry for all of the questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
If you are a female, your estrogen level may be low and interfering with bone growth. Also, are you getting enough calcium? Calcium citrate is the type if you supplement.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:29 AM

12 posts, read 69,645 times
It sounds normal, don't worry! Broken legs can take a log time to heal. I broke my tibia and fibula a few years ago... I was in a cast for seven months and it was a year and a half before I stopped limping around. I have heard that the tibia is one of the slowest bones to heal

Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Swelling is normal for up to a year after surgery.

I broke my fibula two years ago, a spiral fracture. Then I stood up and tried to walk on it and tore out all the tendons at my ankle. I have a plate and 8 screws. I was in a wheelchair for three months, used a walker for a couple months after that, walked slowly and limped for probably six months after that. It still hurts, not like it used to, but a general ache that's worse when I'm tired, and sharp pains in the bone when the weather is changing. I take naproxen daily and if I skip a couple of doses, my leg gets much more uncomfortable. If I'm standing all day, my foot will still swell a little bit.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM

7 posts, read 35,923 times
Does anyone know how easy it is for the screws to come out of the bone? When my leg isn't swollen I can feel them and I just wanted to know if that was normal. Thanks again for the replies & help.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 PM

12 posts, read 69,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMascaro View Post
Does anyone know how easy it is for the screws to come out of the bone? When my leg isn't swollen I can feel them and I just wanted to know if that was normal. Thanks again for the replies & help.
You should check out the message board at mybrokenleg.com, it was a great resource for me when I was still hopping around on the crutches. I have heard of this happening to other people, but I believe it usually takes a longer time after the surgery and there is probably nothing to worry about. You should give your doctor a call and ask just to be on the safe side... he will be able to give better advice than any internet forum!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 23,592 times
I was reading a thread on tibula/fibula fractures and WOW - it all sounds so bad, my son just broke his fibula and now has 7 screws and a plate holding everything in place. He also dislocated his ankle and has a screw holding that in place - he loves football and is just a junior in high school - he broke his leg when he was tackled while recovering a fumble from his teams quarterback. He has been home for 2 days, and is now post-operative day 3, he has some swelling and is also complaining of some burning??? But the pain meds help some in that he just sleeps after taking them...Is there anybody out there who has healed well and is back doing what they love. He is desperately hoping to play for his senior yr next yr......I as his mom am really concerned...thanks and best wishes to all of you....

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
My mom brok her her tibia in August. She just started to put weight on that leg 2 weeks ago. She goes back to the doctor Tuesday. She still uses the walker but has been doing really well going up and downs stairs. She gives herslef a shower using a shower bench and she is doing alot more. She is still out of work but hopes to go back January 2nd. Her original date was December 18th. It takes a long time to heal but it does get better over time. She's living proof of that. She has not needed her wheel chair since october 31st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness