Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 03:59 PM

88 posts, read 221,246 times

Advertisements

Could't find a specialty forum for this question so taking a chance that someone here has experience in Opthomology / eyeglasses.

I need to get a new pair of Single Vision (not progressive) prescription eyeglasses and the store I've gone to is strongly suggesting I pay the extra $150 for their digital free form lenses vs. those made with a traditional process. Benefits are greater clarity, less distortion and a 2 year warranty,

Most references online talk about its benefits for Progressive lenses, and don't specify benefits for Single Vision. I can't tell if this is an unnecessary upsell / luxury

Would appreciate feedback from folks in the industry what they'd reccomend or folks' experiences with this technology.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 04:53 PM

29 posts, read 82,552 times
Smile Single vision

I just received my single vision (1/2 diopter each lens) and gold frame from China and paid $16.00 total. Was that too much?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,892 times
I went with Zenni Optical for perfectly wonderful glasses for $75 (progressives), and I think you'd be getting hosed if you paid what was quoted for your single-vision glasses, when places like Zenni exist with starting prices at under ten bucks!

Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive Eyeglasses, Rimless Glasses

Old 07-01-2011, 06:16 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I went with Zenni Optical for perfectly wonderful glasses for $75 (progressives), and I think you'd be getting hosed if you paid what was quoted for your single-vision glasses, when places like Zenni exist with starting prices at under ten bucks!

Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive Eyeglasses, Rimless Glasses
Did you order online using a prescription from a local optometrist or opthamologist? I've considered doing that but concerned that my prescription may not be just right since the progressive lens helps only with watching TV when it should help with book reading and computer. So I worry that the prescription is screwy.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:35 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Did you order online using a prescription from a local optometrist or opthamologist? I've considered doing that but concerned that my prescription may not be just right since the progressive lens helps only with watching TV when it should help with book reading and computer. So I worry that the prescription is screwy.
Yes, I went to a local eye doc for my annual exam and they gave me an updated glasses prescription for my progressive lenses. I added the Pupillary Distance by measuring it myself since they eye doc's policy was not to provide it if you didn't buy your glasses at exorbitant prices at his in-house eyeglass "shoppe."

How Do I Measure My Pupillary Distance (http://www.spectacles.com/how-do-I-measure-my-pupillary-distance.html - broken link)

Then I went to the Zenni site and made my very first purchase of online glasses by spending lots of time using their nifty feature of "trying on" your selected frames with the face from their gallery that most closely resembles yours. Once I picked out my frames (and I followed the measurements of my current glasses to be sure the ones I chose would fit), I used their super-easy ordering process by carefully typing in the figures off my prescription and my measured P.D. (A real person will answer the phone if you have questions.)

The glasses arrived in less than two weeks in a hard-shell case with a soft lens cleaning cloth. I took a deep breath and tried them on -- and voila! They were perfect! I've been very happy with them.

The price of eyeglasses is one of those supreme scams perpetrated on consumers for far too long:

Wow -- the Eyewear Industry Is an Incredible Ripoff, But There Are Alternatives | | AlterNet

Break your chains and save some money!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:42 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Yes, I went to a local eye doc for my annual exam and they gave me an updated glasses prescription for my progressive lenses. I added the Pupillary Distance by measuring it myself since they eye doc's policy was not to provide it if you didn't buy your glasses at exorbitant prices at his in-house eyeglass "shoppe."

How Do I Measure My Pupillary Distance (http://www.spectacles.com/how-do-I-measure-my-pupillary-distance.html - broken link)

Then I went to the Zenni site and made my very first purchase of online glasses by spending lots of time using their nifty feature of "trying on" your selected frames with the face from their gallery that most closely resembles yours. Once I picked out my frames (and I followed the measurements of my current glasses to be sure the ones I chose would fit), I used their super-easy ordering process by carefully typing in the figures off my prescription and my measured P.D. (A real person will answer the phone if you have questions.)

The glasses arrived in less than two weeks in a hard-shell case with a soft lens cleaning cloth. I took a deep breath and tried them on -- and voila! They were perfect! I've been very happy with them.

The price of eyeglasses is one of those supreme scams perpetrated on consumers for far too long:

Wow -- the Eyewear Industry Is an Incredible Ripoff, But There Are Alternatives | | AlterNet

Break your chains and save some money!
Excellent info! Thanks very much!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:23 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,669 times
I too have ordered from Zenni for many years and have generally had good experiences. Once they lost an order back in China and I waited weeks, but they made it right. Once a pair arrived with one of the nose pieces unattached but I have one of those tiny screwdriver sets and fixed it myself.

Be prepared to do more "leg"work yourself. They will arrive unadjusted and you will have to gird your loins and attack them (carefully!) with the needlenose pliers. Don't buy plastic frames as those cannot be adjusted without the special melter thingie in optician's offices. Or maybe you could pay an optician $10 to adjust them for you? Never tried that.

I wonder about the legality of refusing to give a patient their pupillary distance? Be aware that your PD may be different for up-close versus distance vision!

I suggest ordering a couple styles in single vision first to see how they fit your face before paying the big bucks for progressives.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 PM

38,876 posts, read 22,860,812 times
I'll have to give this service a try. I'm always looking for ways to save on buying a pair of glasses. Thanks very much for this information. Very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness