Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 04:12 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times

Advertisements

To continue my saga of "death by a thousand paper cuts" as I age, I made my first visit to an orthopedist this morning.

After decades of running, jogging, hiking, and speed-walking, I was sure the throbbing pain in my right knee I had been experiencing for a month was going to result in the doc assuming a grave expression and explaining what had to be done for a joint replacement.

The x-rays and physical exam revealed pretty healthy knees for an old crone like me, and the diagnosis was bursitis. (There was no precipitating event that I could remember to produce the pain from tripping or some other injury.) He said it was no big deal and that a cortisone shot would probably help in the healing process.

So his P.A. administered the shot right at the most painful point on my inner knee area, and voila! A feeling of soothing, warm relief and the pain has lessened considerably. Continued elevation and ice pack application were advised, and I can go right on speed-walking for my exercise "as tolerated."

I'd like to hear from anyone who underwent treatment for knee bursitis. Did you get a cortisone shot, too? Did the situation resolve itself with no recurrence, or is the bursitis chronic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I had a cortisone shot in the knee once, too. As you described, it was freakishly painful when the needle went in, then immediately relief from the pain. I also had an injection once in my chin, when I was decades younger. I had a terrible spreading infection from acne cysts. Before I could even protest, the dermatologist stuck the needle in and my horror turned to joy; the pain diminished immediately, the swelling went away in minutes, and the redness disappeared while I watched in the mirror. Cortisone really is a wonder drug -- too bad that's only true under highly controlled conditions.

My knee problem was chondromalacia patella Chondromalacia patella - MayoClinic.com It got to the point where, in addition to being excruciatingly painful, the joint was nearly immobile. The cortisone fixed it up just like new, but I had to employ some concerted, dedicated changes in order to alter the condition that caused it. Luckily they were do-able, so the fact that my one leg is slightly longer than the other could be compensated for and I have been able to cope since then without a major relapse. At the slightest sign of any inflammation, I get off my feet, ice my knee, and take Alleve. Once I reduce the swelling I'm not irritating the cartilage in a way that creates a chronic condition.

I've never had bursitis but several people in my family have had it in their shoulders from overuse or an accident. They eventually recovered, so I guess for many people it's not a chronic condition. I hope that's true for you, too. I have no doubt the cortisone will speed your recovery. Good luck.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 10-03-2011 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times
Many thanks, Jukesgrrl, for your reply full of helpful tips!

What a relief to be able to sleep through the night without my throbbing knee jerking me awake whenever I attempted to turn over to the other side.

Yep, the cortisone shot was truly a wonder drug for me. I'm going to do my usual speed-walk of four or so miles today to see how it goes.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
I had the same problem about six years ago. I almost had to crawl into the doctor's office. When he gave me the cocktail shot (cortisone and some kind of painkiller), I almost went through the ceiling...the pain of injecting something into an area that was already filled with fluid was excruciating. But the relief was almost immediate. I did have to have another shot about a month later but needed no additional treatment after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness