Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Within the last 3 weeks my pharmacy (a large one in a big supermarket chain) has been unable to fully fill two of my common prescriptions. One was for an antibiotic. They gave me 6 pills and I was told to come back when they had more in two days. The full prescription was for 14 pills.

The other happened today, for another very common well-advertised prescription that I get filled every 90 days. They gave me 5 pills and told me to come back on Wednesday for the other 85. You know, I bought the antibiotic shortage because maybe people are sick more this time of year but this other prescription is not for any one-time medical problem nor is it "seasonal." Once you are on it, you are staying on it, so I'm thinking they know who their customers are for this drug so they should know how much to order plus more for potential new customers of the drug.

Neither has anything to do with pain killing or altered state of mind. It doesn't make you happy, sad, sexy or sleepy. In other words, it's not likely that some organized gang or criminal enterprise is working some scheme to get these drugs so that there is a run on them. I'm 100 percent sure there is no street market for the second drug which is typically prescribed for older women.

I have been using this pharmacy since I moved here 4 years ago and have never had this problem before so twice within 3 weeks was a little disturbing to me.

Is anyone else having this problem anywhere else in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 01:55 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Did the pharmacist say there was a national shortage or were they just running short in their store?

Being able to get more in a few days suggests perhaps the store or chain failed to properly monitor its own stock.

I find no news reports about a national shortage.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Did the pharmacist say there was a national shortage or were they just running short in their store?

Being able to get more in a few days suggests perhaps the store or chain failed to properly monitor its own stock.

I find no news reports about a national shortage.
Actually, since I made that post I've found a ton of articles about it all dated within the last month.

Obama Targets Prescription Drug Shortage : NPR

Prescription Drug Shortage Hits Franklin County Area Pharmacies, Hospitals | pennlive.com

Prescription Drug Shortage Hits U.S. Doctors, Hospitals - AARP Bulletin

We Can

Old 11-27-2011, 02:21 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I guess I didn't look far enough down the list>

The reports I found were from 2009!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
I know that an ADHD drug is in very short supply but that is because of antics the vendor is pulling. As long as the pharmacy can get the drug and has it when promised I wouldn't give it another thought. However, if they don't have it as promised or you have to drive a long way to that store I'd have a good talk with the Pharmacist, not the tech. I noticed just yesterday that my local Walgreens will deliver prescriptions within 5 miles of the store.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
I have experienced something similar where I get my blood pressure and thyroid med prescriptions filled. To prevent them from not having the full amount needed when I go to pick up a refill, I went on the pharmacy's automatic refill program. This helps the pharmacy when they place their orders. They call to remind me when the prescription is ready, and I have not experienced another shortage since then.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I have experienced something similar where I get my blood pressure and thyroid med prescriptions filled. To prevent them from not having the full amount needed when I go to pick up a refill, I went on the pharmacy's automatic refill program. This helps the pharmacy when they place their orders. They call to remind me when the prescription is ready, and I have not experienced another shortage since then.
This is a good idea. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness