Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 05:08 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

I donated a pint of blood today.

What better gift in honor of Christmas or Hanukkah could there be?

I started donating in order to "pay it forward" when my son received many transfusions of blood and platelets during chemo for his leukemia. Thanks significantly to the many donors who it made it possible, he is now a 36 year old father.

Are you a blood donor? If so, would you share your experience and pint total, if you know it? I have not kept up with mine, unfortunately.

If you never have donated, it's easy, virtually painless, and takes about an hour for the standard donation. Platelets and some specialized donations take a little longer.

It cost me nothing, and I got a cool T-shirt, a Christmas ornament, and free cookies and juice.

And boy does it make you feel good!

American Red Cross - Give blood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I donated a pint of blood today.

What better gift in honor of Christmas or Hanukkah could there be?

I started donating in order to "pay it forward" when my son received many transfusions of blood and platelets during chemo for his leukemia. Thanks significantly to the many donors who it made it possible, he is now a 36 year old father.

Are you a blood donor? If so, would you share your experience and pint total, if you know it? I have not kept up with mine, unfortunately.

If you never have donated, it's easy, virtually painless, and takes about an hour for the standard donation. Platelets and some specialized donations take a little longer.

It cost me nothing, and I got a cool T-shirt, a Christmas ornament, and free cookies and juice.

And boy does it make you feel good!

American Red Cross - Give blood
I love that idea!

I have done it once successfully, but last time I went they told me I couldn't donate because I had been to Mexico and, apparently, you cannot donate within 2 years of having been there. Seems weird to me, but whatever, I'm sure there's a good reason for that restriction.

I'll just have to try again in about 18 months, assuming I don't end up going somewhere else that disqualifies me.

My mom has donated blood a bunch of times... I remember when I was a kid she got an "I gave a gallon" sticker, so I guess wherever she had been donating kept track of the amounts for her for awhile. It was the cutest sticker... I made a goal to get one myself someday (if they even still do that).

Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Wher you have traveled in Mexico makes a difference, because the concern is for malaria. Here is the CDC map showing the areas in Mexico that are at risk for the disease:

CDC Malaria Map Application

The deferment from donation is for 12 months, unless you actually lived there. Then it's three years, and it is also three years after actual treatment for malaria.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Wher you have traveled in Mexico makes a difference, because the concern is for malaria. Here is the CDC map showing the areas in Mexico that are at risk for the disease:

CDC Malaria Map Application

The deferment from donation is for 12 months, unless you actually lived there. Then it's three years, and it is also three years after actual treatment for malaria.
Thanks for the link! I actually went to the Red Cross website as soon as I posted and looked at their map. Yeah, I don't know why I was thinking 2 years; we were only there for 6 days, so it's 12 months from then. So, I'll be good to go again in April.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Thanks for the link! I actually went to the Red Cross website as soon as I posted and looked at their map. Yeah, I don't know why I was thinking 2 years; we were only there for 6 days, so it's 12 months from then. So, I'll be good to go again in April.

Good for you!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Unfortunately I don't "qualify" to donate (blood clotting factor, among other things) but I have tried a few times in my life. I wish the thought counted when it came to donating blood - but, recipients won't heal as a result of good wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness