Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times

Advertisements

for future reference, tick removal is best done by grasping as close to the head as possible (using tweezers if possible), and pulling them straight out (trying to avoid squeezing the fat body).

methods such as burning, covering with vaseline or other substances can either end up injuring yourself, or increasing the likelihood of the tick transmitting infection (such as lyme).

for the next couple of weeks, watch out for rash or fever (the rash might not be at the site of the tick bite), and if they occur, get checked out by your doctor.

CDC - Tick Removal - Ticks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Invest in some tweezers and make sure you get the head off.
All thats left is a wound, it was a tiny tick, so I'm hoping it's head just boiled away. I cleaned the area really well with those wet wipes soaked in Antiseptic mouthwash but I'm not worried about anything else, all that matters is that theres no more tick chilling on my sack.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
for future reference, tick removal is best done by grasping as close to the head as possible (using tweezers if possible), and pulling them straight out (trying to avoid squeezing the fat body).

methods such as burning, covering with vaseline or other substances can either end up injuring yourself, or increasing the likelihood of the tick transmitting infection (such as lyme).

for the next couple of weeks, watch out for rash or fever (the rash might not be at the site of the tick bite), and if they occur, get checked out by your doctor.

CDC - Tick Removal - Ticks
It was way too small to grab with tweezers, it would've been more painful to try to squeeze it and pinch my skin then it was just to burn it lol. I haven't gotten the flu or had a fever in years, so if I get sick, I'll know to seek medical attention immediately.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
My balls hurt thinking about that!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
It is extremely rare for a person to get sick from a tick bite in the USA. If you lived in Missouri, which is tick heaven, you'd be finding them on you all the time if you ever go outdoors off the pavement. There are no diseases that are spread by ticks that you need to concern yourself with. The worst that can happen is that you'll have a little sore where the tick was, if the head gets imbedded under your skin, but that goes away by itself, too, just keep picking off the scab.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is extremely rare for a person to get sick from a tick bite in the USA. If you lived in Missouri, which is tick heaven, you'd be finding them on you all the time if you ever go outdoors off the pavement. There are no diseases that are spread by ticks that you need to concern yourself with. The worst that can happen is that you'll have a little sore where the tick was, if the head gets imbedded under your skin, but that goes away by itself, too, just keep picking off the scab.
Really ? NIH doesn't agree
Lyme disease - PubMed Health

Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Really ? NIH doesn't agree
Lyme disease - PubMed Health
That's true, I had overlooked that. However, Lyme's requires exposure to a particular species of tick in an endemic area. Those ticks are not large enough to have been treated in the manner that was described by the OP. They are usually not detected by the patient, even when looked for.

Conspicuously visible ticks are harmless, in terms of communicable diseases (again, with rare localized exceptions).

Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
its not just lyme disease that is of concern - there are a few tick borne diseases in the US: CDC - Tickborne Diseases of the U.S. - Ticks

while deer ticks, which are often the vector of lyme, are small, they are certainly not inconspicuous, and are actually fairly consistent with the size of tick described by the OP.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:48 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
I just had a deer tick removed off my back, I didn't even know it was there. She treated me with two days of antibiotics. She said to still watch out for a rash, also if you develop any flu type symptoms within the next few weeks, get tested for lyme's. I'm in Maine.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:56 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I had an 11 year old cousin die from tick fever, or some kind of tick-borne disease. He contracted it while on a visit to Oklahoma, but did not get sick until the family was back in California, where the local doctor's were unfamiliar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness