Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:00 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,961 times

Advertisements

So we just recently moved to California, Bay area, and rented an apartment at a great complex, very nice, well-maintained etc. Somehow we didn't pay attention to the fact that right across from our building, like 50-60m away is a transmission line on the metal towers, in fact one of the towers is right in the complex parking lot. I've never heard much on the subject before, thinking it was one of those tinfoil-hat type rumours. However, after talking to some people I started getting concerned and did some research about living that close to power lines and now I'm worried We have a 2 year old son, and though there doesn't seem to be any clear supporting evidence at this point, the fact that some studies did find associations between power lines and childhood leukemia is scaring me . On the flipside, we literally just moved here from Canada and JUST finished settling in, and the idea of having to pick up and move again is extremely stressful and a lot of extra hassle and expense. Especially since we don't plan on staying in the state permanently - not longer than 3 years or so, so packing an extra move in there if there's actually no reason for concern is obviously less than appealing. Plus we have our lease here for another 7 months, AND the rental market here is not so hot and there are not all that many desirable rental options available; this was one of the nicer and newer complexes we've seen; of course now i'm wondering if they're just trying to make up for being next to the damn thing

So anyways, I'm just torn about it. We love the apartment and REALLY don't wanna move...but of course I'd move 25,000 times if that's what it took to keep my baby boy healthy. At the same time, I don't wanna over-react if the risk is basically negligent. We've ordered an EMF meter online and I called the electric company which can send someone here to take readings as well - so I guess we'll wait for those and decide then. Until then, does anyone have any knowledge on the subject - as in, actual factual information, anecdotal experience, etc? I've spent days researching online and don't feel like I'm finding anything concrete. Some places say you're exposed to a lot more EMF from household stuff, others say power lines are more dangerous? It's supposed to fall off really quickly with distance, but one study shows doubled leukemia risk even within 200-600 meters, which should be down to just background EMF levels by that point. I just don't know what to think. FWIW, these are 115KV lines. Also, if the meter readings show a normal level, would that mean we can relax, or is that not the full picture? I'd be grateful for any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
No correlation between leukemia and power lines. It was a *hypothetical supposition* written around 30 years ago, and the media spun it into a long-term panic. The possibility of any correlation was debunked even by a couple of big studies that were trying to prove that there was merit to it. They couldn't find any.

Here's an article that summarizes the whole conspiracy. It's a blog, written by a 3rd-year resident, with a source list at the bottom. It was also peer reviewed.

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=4210

Old 02-24-2012, 06:47 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I think you'd be more at risk sitting in front of your computer or TV too much. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
If I were you, I would move. Electromagnetic fields are intensified and there are effects on health.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No correlation between leukemia and power lines. It was a *hypothetical supposition* written around 30 years ago, and the media spun it into a long-term panic. The possibility of any correlation was debunked even by a couple of big studies that were trying to prove that there was merit to it. They couldn't find any.

Here's an article that summarizes the whole conspiracy. It's a blog, written by a 3rd-year resident, with a source list at the bottom. It was also peer reviewed.

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=4210
Thanks for responding;
this guy sounds a bit too dismissive to me, based on what I've been reading. I've read reports by the NIH, NCI, and WHO, and none of them completely dismiss the concern like he does. It sounds that study results on this have been mixed and inconclusive so far, but it seems that several studies in different countries have found positive associations - and while each study in itself may not have been deemed statistically significant, the fact that each observed a link is cause for some concern and unlikely to be just coincidence.
Here's a statement from WHO:

‘Scientific evidence suggesting that everyday, chronic low-intensity (above 0.3–0.4 µT) power-frequency magnetic field exposure poses a health risk is based on epidemiological studies demonstrating a consistent pattern of increased risk for childhood leukaemia. Uncertainties in the hazard assessment include the role that control selection bias and exposure misclassification might have on the observed relationship between magnetic fields and childhood leukaemia. In addition, virtually all of the laboratory evidence and the mechanistic evidence fail to support a relationship between low-level ELF magnetic fields and changes in biological
function or disease status. Thus, on balance, the evidence is not strong enough to be considered causal, but sufficiently strong to remain a concern.

So of course that doesn't help me much How much of a concern is it? How high a risk? What are the odds for us at the distance that we're at (I guess the EMF readings should at least help with that)? How big a role are powerlines compared to all the other devices we use at home? Sigh, there don't seem to be any answers

Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
If I were you, I would move. Electromagnetic fields are intensified and there are effects on health.
Thanks for your input; but could you elaborate on that though? I'm trying to find more factual information as opposed to just opinions. Do you have any good sources to read?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM

Since you're renting, you have nothing invested. Just move. It is not worth the risk.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Thanks for your input; but could you elaborate on that though? I'm trying to find more factual information as opposed to just opinions. Do you have any good sources to read?
I can't cite any sources, but I studied Feng Shui and there was an entire book I read on the subject of electromagnetic fields and the ill effects on people and life forms, in general.

Just from a common sense perspective, you would not want to live near an intense electromagnetic field. There are machines you can buy for a couple of hundred dollars (maybe even one hundred) that can measure the electromagnetic fields in your environment . . . there are all kinds of things that can impact the fields from underwater streams to radon to stuff I have no knowledge of . . .just use common sense and move, asap.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 PM

Put "electromagnetic field books" into a search engine and do some reading.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
WHO (World Health Organization) made a statement regarding *EXCLUSIVELY* radiofrequency electromagnetic fields and a *possible* but *inconclusive* increased risk for 2 specific cancers in cell phone users.

Has nothing to do with electric power lines.

And again...the same twist was made by the statement. It's like, research organizations and think tanks really need to just keep their mouths shut until they have conclusive evidence that something is harmful, because every single time they say "this -might increase risk- of something but we aren't positive"- all the loonies and freaks come out screaming OMG THIS IS CANCER BIG PHARMA LIES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness