Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Oil of oregano can be toxic if you use too much and, similarly to nutmeg oil, it takes a very small amount to constitute "too much."

Though the two oils are different, they share similar qualities: both are great in small doses for cooking - meaning, 1-2 drops per quart of other liquid (such as spaghetti sauce for the former, apple cider for the latter). The thymol and carvacol in oregano oil can irritate the skin and bodily openings (such as the mouth, nostrils, etc). Carvacol is a -very- potent monoterpenoid phenol and should always be applied diluted. Since essential oils are not water-soluble, that means you'd need to dilute it in either oil or alcohol. As an aside, nutmeg oil is a neurotoxin; ingesting a teaspoon of it will shut down your central nervous system and you will die. A drop, as I said already, is delicious in a quart of apple cider, along with a drop of clove and a drop or two of cinnamon

Edited to add - listerine mouthwash's main active ingredient is thymol, which is present in oregano and is also the main chemical constituent of the herb thyme. That's the funky "medicinal" taste in your mouth when you use it.

That's very interesting! Do you have any opinions on clove oil? It's commonly used in the fish hobby as a means to euthanize fish. There aren't meany 'good' ways to euthanize a sick fish (freezing, which used to be the common method, is now widely regraded as painful and inhumane). Clove oil added to the water makes the fish appear to fall asleep very quickly. However, there is some debate as to whether they achieve true unconsciousness with this method (as opposed to simply not being able to move) or if the clove oil burns the mucus membranes like the gills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
OP I'm glad you're going to the doctors for your thrush. I had it after a round of antibiotics. If it is not treated right away it will get worse. Usually they prescribe Nystatin mouthwash which your rinse with and spit out, Clotrimoxale trouches of if the infection is bad enough Diflucan (which seems to be popular these days) or another azole drug. Make sure they test your liver because azole drugs are strong and can effect it. Get a high potency probiotic which can kill many different strains of yeast. You can get the best probiotics at the health food store and they are refridgerated.

Good natural anti-fungals are extra virgin coconut oil directly applied to your mouth, Oil of oregano, eating unsweetened yogurt and probiotics to prevent re-occurence. You shouldn't use the first two while on RX medication. Hope you feel better soon.
The doctor gave me the Nystatin and the thrush is basically gone. Unfortunately my cat is now losing fur from around the area where his inhaler mask sits. The skin is very red and irritated, and under his chin he has infected hair follicles. We got a new inhaler mask, as it seems the meds can build up on the mask overtime. He also has another vet visit this week because I'm just not sure what to do...he needs his asthma meds, no question, but his poor face looks so sore and raw.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,154 times
Quote:
Oil of oregano can be toxic if you use too much and, similarly to nutmeg oil, it takes a very small amount to constitute "too much."

Though the two oils are different, they share similar qualities: both are great in small doses for cooking - meaning, 1-2 drops per quart of other liquid (such as spaghetti sauce for the former, apple cider for the latter). The thymol and carvacol in oregano oil can irritate the skin and bodily openings (such as the mouth, nostrils, etc). Carvacol is a -very- potent monoterpenoid phenol and should always be applied diluted. Since essential oils are not water-soluble, that means you'd need to dilute it in either oil or alcohol. As an aside, nutmeg oil is a neurotoxin; ingesting a teaspoon of it will shut down your central nervous system and you will die. A drop, as I said already, is delicious in a quart of apple cider, along with a drop of clove and a drop or two of cinnamon

Edited to add - listerine mouthwash's main active ingredient is thymol, which is present in oregano and is also the main chemical constituent of the herb thyme. That's the funky "medicinal" taste in your mouth when you use it.
This is very interesting. I did research on Oil of oregano before I took it and went to a website recommended by my doctor. The website (I don't know if I can post the name) said to take 200 mgs. 3x a day and the bottle I have says 4 drops a day! I didn't have any side effects (no longer taking it) and people were raving about oil of oregano. I'd really appreciate it if you could provide a reference or link as to dosages. Now I'm really confused and I'm allergic to the azole drug family though my thrush has been under control for the past couple of months I'll still get reoccurences if I eat too much sugar. I had an 8 oz. glass of cranberry juice and had a few spots the next day. Been to at least 10 physicans so far, take a
good probiotic etc. The oral surgeon told me people can have this for years even taking RX meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
The doctor gave me the Nystatin and the thrush is basically gone. Unfortunately my cat is now losing fur from around the area where his inhaler mask sits. The skin is very red and irritated, and under his chin he has infected hair follicles. We got a new inhaler mask, as it seems the meds can build up on the mask overtime. He also has another vet visit this week because I'm just not sure what to do...he needs his asthma meds, no question, but his poor face looks so sore and raw.
I'm so glad the Nystatin worked for you and feeling better. Your poor cat -
I've read that people get thrush from asthma inhalers too. Hopefully your vet can prescribe something for him.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
This is very interesting. I did research on Oil of oregano before I took it and went to a website recommended by my doctor. The website (I don't know if I can post the name) said to take 200 mgs. 3x a day and the bottle I have says 4 drops a day! I didn't have any side effects (no longer taking it) and people were raving about oil of oregano. I'd really appreciate it if you could provide a reference or link as to dosages. Now I'm really confused and I'm allergic to the azole drug family though my thrush has been under control for the past couple of months I'll still get reoccurences if I eat too much sugar. I had an 8 oz. glass of cranberry juice and had a few spots the next day. Been to at least 10 physicans so far, take a
good probiotic etc. The oral surgeon told me people can have this for years even taking RX meds.

I'm so glad the Nystatin worked for you and feeling better. Your poor cat -
I've read that people get thrush from asthma inhalers too. Hopefully your vet can prescribe something for him.
Oil of oregano is an essential oil, and as such, isn't ingested by the milligram, ever, for any reason, by anyone. It is, -when- ingested, done by the drop, and it needs to be diluted. So if you need a drop of oregano, it's really a drop, in a teaspoon of alcohol or olive oil, and you then take a drop of -that- mixture and ingest that.

Since this thread is about oral thrush, the recommendation is to rinse or gargle with a dilution containing oil of oregano - not for consuming it. I wouldn't recommend consuming oil of oregano anyway, unless it's used as a flavoring in food. And even then, the natural dried herb would be the preferred method of consumption, not the oil.

Perhaps what you encountered was an infusion of oil of oregano - meaning, the fresh or dried herb was steeped in boiling water like a tea, and the tea is what was in the bottle. Or something else with trace amounts of oil of oregano in it. Or a dilution of oil of oregano in alcohol or carrier oil (such as peanut or soybean oil for example). Or possibly even a homeopathic product, which contains less than .0001% oil of oregano and has dubious benefits.

As for clove, for whoever asked, I wouldn't know anything about using it to euthanize fish. But its primary chemical component, eugenol, is used as a topical analgesic/anasthetic in the dental profession. My grandfather used pure clove oil (he was a dentist) back in the stone age. Eugenol is that clove smell, that you smell, when you walk into a dentist's office It causes a burning sensation if you apply it directly to an open sore, including fissures or "popcorn kernel cuts" in the gumline. But then once the burning wears off, it becomes very numb, to the point where you'd probably dribble your coffee if you tried to sip from a cup. Clove is definitely not indicated for thrush.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks so much for clarifying this for me AnonChick. The Oil of Oregano I have is 40% Oil of oregano suspended in 60% olive oil. I'll try gargling it next time if I need to.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for clarifying this for me AnonChick. The Oil of Oregano I have is 40% Oil of oregano suspended in 60% olive oil. I'll try gargling it next time if I need to.
Instead, pour a capful out into a ceramic/metal/glass/glazed clay dish (nothing porous or plastic). Dip a q-tip into the dish. Dab that q-tip onto the affected area, GENTLY. Don't wipe. Just dab. Let it absorb for a couple of minutes, then spit it out without rinsing.

If you have thrush in the back of your mouth, near/at your throat, you could gargle with it - that same capful I just mentioned? Mix it with a shot of vodka. The olive oil mixture obviously won't mix with water at all, but it'll be easier to gargle if it's diluted with something "watery" in consistency. Vodka is going to be your best bet, unless you think you can tolerate gargling with grain alcohol.

Just remember to spit it out after gargling, don't drink it!

Lastly, remember that olive oil has a shelf life, and will eventually go rancid. Never buy medicine with vegetable or nut oils as a carrier, in large quantities unless you plan on using up those medicines within a couple of months.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
Quote:
If you ever do get another puff of the inhaled steroid, just rinse out your mouth with water and that will reduce your chances of getting thrush.

As for the cat's mask, I would recommend rinsing it off, and DRYING it. Store it as dry as possible. That will reduce thrush. Also ask the vet to replace the mask periodically and also try to line it up slightly different each time you use it.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
It seems I've come down with a rather serious case of thrush on my tongue. I'm really not sure WHY I ended up with it...from what I've read it indicates a weakened immune system.

I've been gargling with hydroxide peroxide and brushing my tongue. Is there anything else I can do at home? I'd like to avoid a doctor's visit, mainly because I have no idea how I'd fit one in this week.

And for those who have had thrush- was there a clear reason why you got it? Like a illness or blood sugar issues or anything?
Try going to one of those med clinics, like Medi-quick, redi clinic, etc. Oftentimes they are in Walgreens, grocery stores, etc, and serve the working population, those who;s jobs must come first. They are a God Send for working parents. They have evening and weekend hours how 'bout that?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Try going to one of those med clinics, like Medi-quick, redi clinic, etc. Oftentimes they are in Walgreens, grocery stores, etc, and serve the working population, those who;s jobs must come first. They are a God Send for working parents. They have evening and weekend hours how 'bout that?
I ended up going to my regular doctor, but thank you for this information- I didn't even think about that. I have seen signs for such clinics at the local drug stores but it just didn't occur to me to try it out. Next time I have something small and have trouble finding time to get to the doctor's, I'll certainly keep this in mind!

Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Instead, pour a capful out into a ceramic/metal/glass/glazed clay dish (nothing porous or plastic). Dip a q-tip into the dish. Dab that q-tip onto the affected area, GENTLY. Don't wipe. Just dab. Let it absorb for a couple of minutes, then spit it out without rinsing.

If you have thrush in the back of your mouth, near/at your throat, you could gargle with it - that same capful I just mentioned? Mix it with a shot of vodka. The olive oil mixture obviously won't mix with water at all, but it'll be easier to gargle if it's diluted with something "watery" in consistency. Vodka is going to be your best bet, unless you think you can tolerate gargling with grain alcohol.

Just remember to spit it out after gargling, don't drink it!

Lastly, remember that olive oil has a shelf life, and will eventually go rancid. Never buy medicine with vegetable or nut oils as a carrier, in large quantities unless you plan on using up those medicines within a couple of months.
You're like an encyclopedia of herbal medicine! I'll try the method of mixing it with vodka but I know I can't handle grain alcohol. Took a sip of that once in my life and nearly fainted it was so strong. Thankfully the thrush isn't near the throat but in the front of the mouth so I'll dab, absorb and spit. Just checked the little bottle I bought and it has an experation date of 4/16. What are they crazy? You never keep olive oil that long. Thanks for your help once again!

I've got books on herbal and homeopathic medicine and find it so interesting. I always try to go the natural route first. Now I know who to go to when I have a question!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness