Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:55 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Thanks Suzy-- you're always a big help. Tried to rep you-- but I've apparently done too much of that lately!

He did have a follow up blood test, but they did not ask for a stool test. His colonoscopy and endoscopy are both scheduled for this week. He has had annual physicals but hasn't done a blood test in the last 3 years (we were living abroad and apparently these tests weren't part of the annual physical procedure-- and to be honest, we didn't think twice about it!)-- so it's very likely this has been a blood loss occuring for a few years now.

He definitely is tired. He chews ice (apparently a sign of iron deficiency). He was taking iron supplements for a couple months, but the doctor now has asks him to stop, as it can interfere with the test results.

Hopefully Wednesday we will have more solid answers. I am just hoping it's not the worst case scenario. Doctor's say it may very well be something small, like an ulcer, that they can fix on the spot.

You're welcome!

Will be keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing dangerous and he will be feeling better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Sorry to hear your news. My 45 year old female friend is going in for a colonoscopy because her blood levels and iron are low. I hope you and your husband get answers soon....and that whatever is ailing him is treatable.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,357 times
Updated:

Doctors found 2 polyps in his colon. Both have been removed and are being biopsied. Results should come next week.

One of the polyps had an ulcer on it, so some of the blood loss could have came from there, but the doctor feels it would be minimal. He still has an endoscopy to go, and they suspect stomach ulcers. They will rule out stomach cancer at that time. This will also be next week.

Fingers crossed!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Glad the news is good so far. Keep us posted!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
For low iron, don't take iron pills, they constipate. Best to get iron from foods.
Get iron through cooked whole grains, cooked dried beans, nuts, and seeds. You can get seaweed in supplement form (kelp tablets) - extremely high in iron and other minerals. Eating dark-green leafy veg's every day - quickly steamed kale, collards, spinach, fresh dandelion greens (these are sold at many supermarkets) will help a lot. Eggs once or twice a week, chopped cooked liver (from grass fed beef or naturally raised chickens) are very high in iron. Also nettle tea (get it in teabags from healthfood store) - very high in iron and other stuff (google it to see all the benefits). Blackstrap molasses is an old remedy.

Eliminating all sugars, white flour, and fruit juices will keep the blood stronger. You could get a juicer and juice carrots with beets (beets are super high in iron).

Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For low iron, don't take iron pills, they constipate. Best to get iron from foods.
Get iron through cooked whole grains, cooked dried beans, nuts, and seeds. You can get seaweed in supplement form (kelp tablets) - extremely high in iron and other minerals. Eating dark-green leafy veg's every day - quickly steamed kale, collards, spinach, fresh dandelion greens (these are sold at many supermarkets) will help a lot. Eggs once or twice a week, chopped cooked liver (from grass fed beef or naturally raised chickens) are very high in iron. Also nettle tea (get it in teabags from healthfood store) - very high in iron and other stuff (google it to see all the benefits). Blackstrap molasses is an old remedy.

Eliminating all sugars, white flour, and fruit juices will keep the blood stronger. You could get a juicer and juice carrots with beets (beets are super high in iron).
This is fine for someone who is either not anemic or not significantly anemic. It will not work fast enough for someone with severe anemia.

It is possible to take iron with a stool softener if constipation is a problem.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:58 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,962 times
There are lots of choices in iron supplements. I went through 3 before I found the one that worked for
me. I was severely anemic due to very heavy periods, now after taking iron for a month I feel SO much better.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Updated:

Doctors found 2 polyps in his colon. Both have been removed and are being biopsied. Results should come next week.

One of the polyps had an ulcer on it, so some of the blood loss could have came from there, but the doctor feels it would be minimal. He still has an endoscopy to go, and they suspect stomach ulcers. They will rule out stomach cancer at that time. This will also be next week.

Fingers crossed!
Thanks very much for the update. Not the worst news so far. And stomach ulcers are treatable. All the best to him for a speedy recovery and to you, since I'm sure you are stressed with worry.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Updated:

Fingers crossed!
I hope he gets good news and all is treatable. Hang in there.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,357 times
Update again:

The biopsy's of both polyps came back negative, which is great news.

The endoscopy went well, but they didn't find anything-- no ulcers. There was a bit of swelling in his stomach which they think is due to acid reflux. They took a biopsy there too and we'll get results back next week for that.

So still no idea where the source of blood loss is. They're doing another blood test today, and if the iron and blood levels are back up, then it's likely the minor bleeding from one of the polyps may be the cause. But the doctor is nearly certain that's not it, given the amount of blood loss.

Assuming his levels are unchanged, he will have to have a capsule enteroscopy.

So the journey continues. Poor DH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness