Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 PM

19,705 posts, read 20,232,643 times

Advertisements

My stomach can only handle one cup a day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,510 times
Quote:
Cirrhosis (up to 80% reduced risk)

wow- that is amazing. Doctors should tell their alkie patients to start drinking coffee.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I have always been fit, slim, energetic, focused, happy, and healthy. I rarely get sick (knock on wood!).
Sounds just like me, until I turned 50.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
She was very active, but she wasn't a day laborer. She owned an Italian shoe company. Her diet was very important to her and included heavy:

black coffee
red wine
dark chocolate
olive oil
yogurt
tomatoes
fish
spinach

I try to emulate her diet. There is great longevity on that side of my family (my aunts, uncles, etc. lived to be 100 or close to it with virtually no illnesses) and they all ate like this. It is diet, exercise, AND genes. There have been quite a few studies about the people from this area of Italy and how diet contributes to their longevity. I still think black coffee helps and now a new AARP and NIH study supports that.
I really think it's due to everything ELSE on the diet up there besides coffee - those are very healthy things to eat. We consume a lot of that ourselves, however, coffee is limited to decaf, and only a cup or two in the am, not even every day. It is very acidic, and we can't have caffeine due to health issues. No way I believe coffee is any kind of "health food" but I'm of the opinion that for healthy people a moderate amount doesn't affect things one way or another.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:35 AM

43 posts, read 125,390 times
Quote:
Parents and coffee too!

I think people underestimate the health benefits of coffee.

p.s. My Italian grandma lived to 100 (1900 - 2000) and drank espresso all day! Italians drink a lot of coffee and they live a long time - I think there is a connection. It's not just the olive oil / Mediterranean diet.
kudos to you and keep drinking that java! i roast my own from green beans -- my choice of country origin. i drink at least as much as you and probably is the only reason i've been around so long with such fantastic health.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM

43 posts, read 125,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I really think it's due to everything ELSE on the diet up there besides coffee - those are very healthy things to eat. We consume a lot of that ourselves, however, coffee is limited to decaf, and only a cup or two in the am, not even every day. It is very acidic, and we can't have caffeine due to health issues. No way I believe coffee is any kind of "health food" but I'm of the opinion that for healthy people a moderate amount doesn't affect things one way or another.
i'll say it's due to everything but the fish. think mercury and all the other trash they contend with. no fish for me. nor dead animals, thanks.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,463,628 times
I loved my coffee and easily drank 6 cups a day for years. Eventually though it wrecked havoc on my adrenal glands. Once that happened I quit drinking coffee for a couple of years. These days I drink decaf with an occasional splash of regular.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
I love strong coffee but only drink two to three cups a day. Can't drink after 2 or 3 p.m., though I would LOVE to . . .

This is great news.

I have one of those new "one cup" coffee makers, and it brews the best coffee ever. It is one of the true pleasures of life.

And I'm Italian, too. I would love to hear more about Italian Espresso habits . ..

Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
And I'm Italian, too. I would love to hear more about Italian Espresso habits . ..
She drank black espresso throughout the day (not sure how many cups). I remember her using an old aluminum coffee pot on the stove top. I have always used a coffee press, but I know they tend to leave more oil in the coffee which is not as healthy. I have been thinking about converting to the Italian style pot. But I'm not sure if they would filter out any more of the oil?

Also, my grandmother usually had a shot of sambuca with her espresso after dinner...LOL. She would have a glass of red wine with dinner and then espresso with sambuca after. I think she may have done this daily as she believed it was very healthy for the system... So maybe the sambuca is the real health secret!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:34 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmapeel View Post
i'll say it's due to everything but the fish. think mercury and all the other trash they contend with. no fish for me. nor dead animals, thanks.
Yes, I love fish but need to be careful due to the mercury levels. I have a card I carry in my wallet that lists the lower mercury fishes. I try to keep to less oily fishes that are "wild-caught" but it can get tricky. I am always quizzing the fishmonger about the origins of their fish.

I forgot to add garlic to my grandma's list of health foods. She ate a lot of garlic every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmapeel View Post
k i roast my own from green beans -- my choice of country origin. i drink at least as much as you and probably is the only reason i've been around so long with such fantastic health.
That is very cool... I would love to learn how to do that. I have tried to convince a relative in Hawaii to plant a coffee tree for me but he tells me it is too much work for so little coffee. I would love to be able to roast my own coffee though. I'll look into that. It must taste so much fresher.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-28-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness