Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What medical illness are you afraid of the most?
Cancer 20 33.90%
HIV / AIDS 0 0%
Stroke 6 10.17%
Heart Attack 2 3.39%
Diabetes 1 1.69%
Alzheimer's 18 30.51%
Parkinson's Disease 1 1.69%
Arthritis 0 0%
Heart Disease 0 0%
Mental Illness 3 5.08%
Other 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times

Advertisements

I picked Parkinson's. Everyone I have worked with who has Parkinson's has been very depressed over the slow loss of their abilities. I work with a lady now who used to be so bright and active in life, and she is so despondant that now she cannot even feed herself. My heart breaks for her. Of course stroke victims can experience the same thing.
I agree with theatergypsy that most of the time dementia is harder on the family than the patient...but I agree with subject2change too, this is not always the case and those that suffer the chronic anxiety is heartbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
What medical illness are you afraid of the most?
because hubby and I are getting up there in the age tree there are a lot, I just try not to dwell on them. I think stroke worries me the most because I have seen so many people, live after one but in various starges of immobility. We are fighting cancer with hubby now; luckily, so far, so good. Research makes new discoveries on fighting the desease daily. That is the positive thing.

Nita

Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
I’ve already had cancer and heart disease hit within a three month period of one another…luckily, both in relatively minor form.

Ebola and Rabies don’t sound very good to me; but speaking seriously, I think the thought of ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) scares me the most.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Not to try and scare you, but Alzheimers can be very traumatic for the patient. Some are in a constant state of anxiety about their confusion, about misunderstandings about their surroundings, and other things. Medication doesn't always solve this. And reassurances from others around them don't help,because they seem not to believe or understand what they're told, and forget what they've been told within minutes. That's not something I want to experience.
I worked in the medical field for many years and we had many patients in the varying stages of Alzheimer's. I'm aware of the ramifications regarding the sufferer, but I still fear the ravages of a debilitating stroke over dementia.

Regarding your last sentence, I hope I didn't indicate that Alzheimer's was something I wanted to experience. Matter of fact, I don't want to experience any of the many ailments that accompany aging. (Although at this point, I already have ). But I watched a friend linger after a stroke and although her mind was sharp, the indignities of her physical body was painful to watch.

ETA: MS is also something I would rather avoid. I watched several very young men and women degenerate after each flare. Too sad.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Cancer scares me the most, especially pancreatic cancer (95% death rate). I have a procedure scheduled next month that involves interventional radiology, and the radiation scares the crap out of me since I've already had a CT of the same area.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,360 times
Cancer

Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I always said that 3 medical procedures really scare me - bone marrow biopsy, brain surgery, and eye surgery (all done while awake). I had the bone marrow biopsy upon diagnosis of cancer, and now I think I can handle about anything.

Alzheimers or other mental degradation is what really freaks me out. I started chemo less than a year after graduating from college when I was at my sharpest. Now, over a year later, I'm nowhere near where I was. In addition to brain fog and trouble with word searching and complicated concepts, I transpose words, have memory loss, and have trouble with recall. I started grad school very part time 2 weeks after ending chemo, and it reflects in my grades. I'm currently taking a programming class in XML and it's KILLING me because my brain just *can't* wrap around the concepts, though a year and a half ago, it was fine. That causes a lot of anxiety and self esteem issues. I can't imagine handling more mental capacity loss in a more profound way.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
char I can understand your POV. I have minimal lapses in recalling certain words and while I eventually remember what I'm seeking, (usually at two o'clock in the morning!), I did have some concerns early on that I wouldn't be able to remember dialogue. Fortunately, that didn't happen and I managed to learn pages and pages of script.

Perhaps at my advanced age, I have less to fear than you younger people. I would like to just drift away quietly, if that's the Almighty's plan for me.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 AM

49 posts, read 152,369 times
schizophrenia- I can't live with scary sounds or visuals.
I don't mind cancer, but not rectal or cervical ...or a facial tumor, or a fungating tumor.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I am afraid to get Cancer, since my dad died of pancreatic cancer there is no way to tell if I will get it. I am also afraid to have a long, painfull drawn out illness too of any kind. When I go I want it to be quick and peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness