Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times

Advertisements

Does it start right away, or some time later ?? Yesterday I tripped on a curb, started falling straight forward, put my arms out and fell forward. I was able to bend at the elbows and knees (almost like doing push-ups). Only my hands hit ground, both same time. I did not hit in a "straight arm" fashion. Got up OK, no pain then or now.

Obviously I'll know if pain (or loss of range of motion) starts later, just curious if it usually starts right away, or what.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
my pain--intense and non-stop pain began immediately.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Weird you asked that question. I fell down similarly playing basketball in summer of 2005. About three years ago, I was putting on my seat belt and I felt my right shoulder hurt. Kept hurting and I was having a lot pain lap swimming. Went to the doctor, he examined xrays and I think MRI. Torn cuff. Surgery, out three months with lots of PT.

So, I am one data point but it is weird you asked that. I was just thinking last night how odd this was that the pain didn't really get bad for years.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
My husband had RC surgery. His hurt right away but the pain started low and progressed to more intense. My cuff is in bad shape, but my pain evolved over a period of time and never really got super intense. I had to seriously rest it for a few months to be pain free. Then I was stupid and thought I could do anything. Needed to rest it for a few months again. I've been pain free for about 6 months but that's because I don't do anything crazy. I have full range of motion but too much pressure or weight can really mess it up. One of these days I'll get around to physical therapy. I'm being good to it so I don't need surgery.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I took a bad fall, and ached afterwards, but it took a few months before I could pinpoint the pain to the rotator cuff. I don't have full range of motion, but I am under the impression that there isn't much done for a partial tear, so I haven't followed up on it.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
but I am under the impression that there isn't much done for a partial tear, so I haven't followed up on it.
That's not true. My husband had surgery for a partial tear. They don't force you to walk around with only partial range of motion.

You might have to go the cortisone injection and physical therapy route first, but surgery will be done if that doesn't work.

I'll just warn you that the surgery is hell. 6 to 8 weeks in a sling---24/7---sleeping in it and everything. I had to bath and dress hubby. It was his left arm and he's right handed so he could do some things for himself. When he could go without the sling, he could not even move his arm. He would have to pick it up with this other hand so I could wash under it. There's months of physical therapy afterwards to retain strength and full range of motion. Most important advice I can give is don't push it after the surgery. The people who do more than they are supposed to do don't end up with the best surgery results. Plan on spending a lot of time sitting on the sofa watching TV, no computer, no talking walks (you could fall and permanently damage the surgery), no being on the internet. Just TV and talking on the phone. As awful as it sounds, it was totally worth it though. He's 100% now.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
When my rc tore it was immediately painful, and was until I had surgery to repair it then afterwards I still had pain for quite some time.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I'll just warn you that the surgery is hell. 6 to 8 weeks in a sling---24/7---sleeping in it and everything. I had to bath and dress hubby. It was his left arm and he's right handed so he could do some things for himself. When he could go without the sling, he could not even move his arm. He would have to pick it up with this other hand so I could wash under it. There's months of physical therapy afterwards to retain strength and full range of motion. Most important advice I can give is don't push it after the surgery. The people who do more than they are supposed to do don't end up with the best surgery results. Plan on spending a lot of time sitting on the sofa watching TV, no computer, no talking walks (you could fall and permanently damage the surgery), no being on the internet. Just TV and talking on the phone. As awful as it sounds, it was totally worth it though. He's 100% now.
I'm facing surgery but I live alone, well, with 3 dogs and 2 cats, but I doubt that they will be much help. Like your hubby it's the left shoulder and I'm right handed. Am I going to be able to manage on my own or will I have to have someone come in to provide some help each day? How soon would I be able to drive an automatic?, go grocery shopping by myself?, tie my shoe laces? etc.

Thanks for any feedback anyone can give me.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'm facing surgery but I live alone, well, with 3 dogs and 2 cats, but I doubt that they will be much help. Like your hubby it's the left shoulder and I'm right handed. Am I going to be able to manage on my own or will I have to have someone come in to provide some help each day? How soon would I be able to drive an automatic?, go grocery shopping by myself?, tie my shoe laces? etc.

My husband and I are having a hard time remembering specifics after the first 6 weeks, but I'll do my best. During the first 6 weeks, you can't do anything with that arm. You are restricted from doing many things that don't involve that arm to prevent you from falling and injuring it. You can't drive for 6 weeks. You can't really go for walks either. The doctor doesn't want you to do anything that could risk you falling or injuring your shoulder. During the 6 weeks, your arm is constantly in a sling. When the 6 weeks is over, you have your arm out of the sling but it's limited in what it can do until it gets strength.

Your surgery has a better outcome if you don't push yourself and use your arm in a way the doctor doesn't allow. There are things you will be able to do for yourself. If you buy pants with elastic waists and button up shirts, you should be able to dress yourself, but buttoning the buttons will be a challenge. You could prepare in advance by sewing Velcro onto some button up shirts. (Even if you have help, you can't use pull over shirts.) The arm that had surgery literally just hangs there. It is incapable of doing anything even if you wanted to. Figure out food that you can make without your left hand, even if it means frozen food.

Physical therapy starts immediately after surgery. You'll need someone to drive you to appointments. We can't remember if the physical therapy was daily or three days per week back then. Your biggest problem may be your dogs and cat. If you can just let your dogs out into a fenced in yard to do their business, that will work, but you'll need to have someone come over once or twice a week to clean up the yard and change the litter box. Laundry will be a problem unless you literally carry only a couple pieces of clothing at a time to/from the washer/dryer/bedroom. You won't be able to carry a basket with your good arm, especially if you have to go up/down stairs, because you will risk falling and injuring the arm that had the surgery.

I think it's best to plan on having someone come to provide you some help each day at first. As the weeks go on, you will be able to do more and more yourself. Then you can cut back on how often you will need help per week. Good luck to you. I know this sounds awful, but it was totally worth it for my husband. He no longer has pain. He has full range of motion.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 AM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

I elected to not have the surgery but it was still pretty tough going. I wore a sling full time for at least eight weeks and on and off after that. I'm right handed and had a partial tear in the right shoulder. Oh, joy.

You're not going to be able to drive, tie shoes or (probably) wear most of the clothes in your closet for a while. If you don't have comfortable slip on shoes and clothing with lots of elastic and zippers, go shopping now. Also, fill the pantry and refrigerator. If you cook, prepare some favorite foods and freeze them in portions so that you can just heat them in a microwave. I couldn't open cans or previously unopened jars on my own. When someone is nice enough to take you grocery shopping, don't let them leave until they've cracked the seal on the jars! I learned that the hard way. It's always the little things.

I didn't have an incision so I didn't have to worry about keeping anything dry when bathing. I had little problem washing myself but I found that I couldn't efficiently deal with my hair. It was shoulder length and very thick. As soon as I was able, I got a haircut.

No computer use? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness