Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

My grandmother's hearing has really worsened lately, and now she can barely hear anyone on the phone. I would like to buy her a new phone that she could hear, but I keep reading mixed reviews. Do any of you know of a decent amplified phone that doesn't cost $200? She also has macular degeneration, so large buttons would be helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Does she wear a hearing aid? Some hearing aids can be programmed to filter out surrounding noise and focus on the phone's earpiece. Mine does that but unfortunately I hold the phone too close to my ear and it keeps popping the switch back to normal, which makes it -harder- to hear, because of all the surrounding noise being amplified

If she doesn't wear a hearing aid, it'll be difficult to find a phone with a volume level good enough to accommodate significant hearing loss, because the speakers in those headpieces just aren't all that good, and she'd just end up hearing squealing and feedback. Just bear that in mind, when you're shopping for a phone with a built-in volume control. Loud doesn't necessarily mean clear, when you're dealing with cheap speakers. You'd need to try out a few before you find the right one for your grandmother.

I can suggest - go to a store that sells phones, and ask to speak with the manager. Let them know you will need to try out a few different types, unless the first one happens to be perfect. Work with the manager on this, because you will probably be returning one, buying another, returning that one, and buying another, until you get the right one. All stores have return policies, but you want the store manager to be understanding of your situation before you start the process, and not have to explain yourself defensively when you return yet a fourth phone to their store. Just basically give them a heads-up that you're planning on doing it. They will most likely be happy to help you figure out which ones to try.

There are external amplifier/speakers you can buy, that attach to the existing telephone and work as a speakerphone so you don't lift the headset at all. But those I believe can get pricey.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 AM

No, she doesn't wear a hearing aid. She has one, but she says it "gets on her nerves", I'm assuming it must amplify a lot of background noise. She's a stubborn woman, and she makes it difficult to help her.

I've looked at a lot of those Clarity phones on Amazon, but the reviews are 50/50.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Hearing aids really are a pain to deal with; if earwax gets stuck in them, they shut off and you have to dig the wax out. And unclogging a hearing aid is a very delicate and precarious chore, because if you go too deep you break the mechanism inside it and you have to buy a whole new hearing aid. Also, wearing a hearing aid for just an hour every couple of weeks won't allow your brain to adjust to being able to hear again (there's a delicate relationship between the ears and the brain), and that can be unsettling for people who reject the idea of wearing them every waking moment. I know that feeling, because I'm one of them. I only wear them to watch TV, which is only a couple hours a week.

As for the phones, it really is important for your grandmother to try it before committing to it. And because of that, it's equally important for you to buy it from somewhere that has an easy return policy, hopefully in close proximity so you can bring one back, and bring the new one home during the same visit.

With Amazon, if she doesn't like the Clarity, you'd have to package it back up, send it back to them, wait for them to credit you, then select a new one, wait for -that- to be shipped...

by the time you've picked the right phone for her, it could be her next birthday already. If you stick with something local, you could be done with the entire process within 2 days.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 AM

I may check with Radio Shack and see if they have any.

Im not sure what the deal was with the hearing aid. I think she has done a good job at hiding her hearing problem for a long time, but its getting hard for her to hide it now. This is a woman who fell and broke her ankle two years ago, ended up in rehab for months, yet still refuses to wear her medic alert necklace.

If you buy her anything to help her you pretty much have to hook it up and tell her "here it is and this is how it works" and leave it at that. If you tell her she HAS to use it she'll refuse.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Many states have a relay program and also advise on phones for the hard of hearing. Google for her state and see what you find. Some of the phones display the spoken word as text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness