Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 10:45 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

Hi: I'm having difficulty finding proper stores that sell these shoes. I know the usual stores Dicks, Famous Footwear etc. I've been to all of them. Its a waste of time. They don't sell widths, but only for about 2 or 3 models and always the widest width. Your really lucky if you can find widths at all here. I need a more specialized running/walking store. I did find this type store in Scottsdale next to Whole Foods on Mayo St or Dr I'm not sure. The foot accessment on the threadmill was good. However I didn't find the sales people knowledgeable in shoes, when someone has foot problems. When needing a specialized shoe for thier problem, or shoes that accomodate orthotics properly. So I don't know where to buy shoes.

I'm having trouble with Phoenix area to be begin with. Its very hard for me to find things here. Its as if there is no sense of place for anything. Everything just rambles on and so much is commercial. Stores are hidden away in strip mall after strip mall. That and I'm not finding people knowledgebable with what I asked about. I have literally had people including a podiatrist ask me "Why do I bother walking and exercising so much. People rather drive here they tell me. I'm not so sure I will fit in here. When I hear statements like that. However I need some good shoes for overpronation. That and people that know the product. I can't buy shoes online because I have to try them on first. I have no desire to keep returning them until I get a proper fit. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
You might try asking for specific store recommendations in the Phoenix forum.

My mother is about as fussy about shoes as a person can be, she buys her walking shoes from this company: San Antonio Shoes - Products and Styles We go to the factory store here, but they have a couple of retail locations in Phoenix. They have a real variety of widths. Most of their styles are not trendy or modern looking, and they're not cheap, but they last for years.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:01 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,266 times
I bought a pair of Brooks glycerin they are super comfy. My kid wants me to walk her to school every morning and I went to 3 different stores and they all recommended Brooks.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Hi: I'm having difficulty finding proper stores that sell these shoes. I know the usual stores Dicks, Famous Footwear etc. I've been to all of them. Its a waste of time. They don't sell widths, but only for about 2 or 3 models and always the widest width. Your really lucky if you can find widths at all here. I need a more specialized running/walking store. I did find this type store in Scottsdale next to Whole Foods on Mayo St or Dr I'm not sure. The foot accessment on the threadmill was good. However I didn't find the sales people knowledgeable in shoes, when someone has foot problems. When needing a specialized shoe for thier problem, or shoes that accomodate orthotics properly. So I don't know where to buy shoes.

I'm having trouble with Phoenix area to be begin with. Its very hard for me to find things here. Its as if there is no sense of place for anything. Everything just rambles on and so much is commercial. Stores are hidden away in strip mall after strip mall. That and I'm not finding people knowledgebable with what I asked about. I have literally had people including a podiatrist ask me "Why do I bother walking and exercising so much. People rather drive here they tell me. I'm not so sure I will fit in here. When I hear statements like that. However I need some good shoes for overpronation. That and people that know the product. I can't buy shoes online because I have to try them on first. I have no desire to keep returning them until I get a proper fit. Thanks.
If you are looking for running shoes, try these stores. They might also carry walking shoes. They should have people working who understand runnig shoes.

RUNNER'S DEN
6505 N. 16th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85016
602-277-4333
www.runnersdenaz.com

RUN AZ
4740 E. Warner Rd., Ste. 2
Phoenix, AZ 85044
480-592-0900
www.runaz.net

THE RUNNER'S STORE, LLC
3320 W. Southern Ave #114
Phoenix, AZ 85041
602-237-2201
www.trsphoenix.com

ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
7077 E Mayo Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85054
480-513-1774
www.roadrunnersports.com

STRAPPED JOCK
3522 W. Calavar Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85023
602-547-0699
www.strappedjock.com

Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Have you consulted a podiatrist about your overpronation? If it's a serious problem, I'd recommend it. And get a prescription for what you need in a shoe. He/she can probably steer you to a shoe store that can measure your foot properly and get the right shoes for you.

I owned a shoe store for a few years and sold Vans, among other brands. Vans will (or at least would at the time) custom make whatever you need. Provide them with the size(s) and prescription, and they'll custom built it to your needs. My favorite sale was to a young man (and his mother), probably 10 years old. Due to his severe foot problems and need for special corrective shoes, he'd never been able to wear anything but ugly boots. I introduced them to Vans. The kid was finally able to wear a running shoe, just like all his classmates. I'll never forget the look of joy on his face.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. Now I have a list of stores to check. Thanks to villageidiot in Pennsylvania. I guess I am having a rough time of it being new in Arizona. I thought I had posted this thread in the Phoenix forum guess I did not. Thanks everyone.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Have you consulted a podiatrist about your overpronation? If it's a serious problem, I'd recommend it. And get a prescription for what you need in a shoe. He/she can probably steer you to a shoe store that can measure your foot properly and get the right shoes for you.

I owned a shoe store for a few years and sold Vans, among other brands. Vans will (or at least would at the time) custom make whatever you need. Provide them with the size(s) and prescription, and they'll custom built it to your needs. My favorite sale was to a young man (and his mother), probably 10 years old. Due to his severe foot problems and need for special corrective shoes, he'd never been able to wear anything but ugly boots. I introduced them to Vans. The kid was finally able to wear a running shoe, just like all his classmates. I'll never forget the look of joy on his face.

Yes actually I had a podiatry appt yesteday. It only added to my frustration of buying shoes. The podiatrist bascially said. I don't need to walk in Arizona and treated me like a 90 year old. He said just drive if your feet are going to hurt why bother. As if I should never walk again. This was my first appt with this doctor. I'm looking for a different podiatrist. I have dealth with flatfeet and pronation problema for years and wear orthotics. these are ony 2 years old. Usually I'm ok as long as I wear orthotics. Seems I need a stability shoe now to compliment the orthotics. That has been my difficulty finding the stores to buy them in. When I have the right shoes I can walk miles like I normally do. |

I'm not familiar with Vans but I will read up on them. Usually I go with Brooks because they accomodate orthotics better than other brands. I can understand the little 10 year and the joy he felt. I would have liked to see that also. Very nice little story. Thank you.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

That's a great story

Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I carried Brooks too. Very good athletic shoes, imho. Vans will build the orthotics into the shoe itself. You don't have to worry about whether the orthtic will fit, because it's built right in. Vans were very popular bike and skateboarding shoes years ago -- the ones with the checkerboards, etc. on them. The same style could be custom ordered with a thousand+ different looks -- at no extra charge. But they'll also custom build them with whatever orthotics is needed in them, different sizes for L and R feet or only one shoe if desired -- up to size 20. It is (or was) a popular brand for those who just wanted something different, but they're also great for those who need orthotics built into their shoes or who have substantially different sized feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness