Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 AM

306 posts, read 758,218 times

Advertisements

This ringing in my ears is driving me crazy, especially when I don't get enough sleep. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
I take the anti-depressant Lexapro and Ativan at night. Works fairly well for me. I get ringing still,,but it
doesnt distress me as much since im on Lexapro! Theres a good book to get, its called "Tinnitus,Turning the Volume Down".
very good and helpful on treatment for Tinnitus!

Greenchili

Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM

306 posts, read 758,218 times
Thanks, I'll check out the book!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Tinnitus is a symptom of other things too - and if you correct those other things, the Tinnitus goes away. Hearing loss often comes with tinnitus as a symptom. So do inner ear infections. I found that wearing hearing aides to correct my hearing loss causes the ringing to disappear entirely, or becomes so "quiet" that I hardly even notice it's still there.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Tinnitus is a symptom of other things too - and if you correct those other things, the Tinnitus goes away. Hearing loss often comes with tinnitus as a symptom. So do inner ear infections. I found that wearing hearing aides to correct my hearing loss causes the ringing to disappear entirely, or becomes so "quiet" that I hardly even notice it's still there.
True it can be a symptom of other things. Medication,thyroid,excess ear wax. One should always have a thorough check up and rule out anything that could be causing it. I also have hearing loss,and hearing aids.
The hearing aids alone werent doing the trick for me,although they help a bit,and of course help me hear.
Meds help me keep my sanity.. You can also use masking therapy but that was a bit inconvenient as I have places to go,people to see,and a church choir to sing in! Masking works when your not required to hear anything but the stuff your listening too to mask,ie,waterfalls,rain,music.

Greenchili

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStar View Post
Thanks, I'll check out the book!
Your welcome. Its a good read,and very practical. The Lexapro has brought the volume down
a whole bunch!

Greenchili

Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStar View Post
This ringing in my ears is driving me crazy, especially when I don't get enough sleep. Help!
Find a really good Chiropractor, a few adjustments can stop or tremendously lower the major issues that go along with this annoying affliction without having to take any medication.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So,what do you do at night? ive learned to just ignore it pretty much while going to sleep,that
and a small dose of Ativan.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
my doctor suggested I get off Lunesta and that I might have Mennaire's Disease and then he walked out the door. What a jerk. I know I have hearing loss and am waiting till after the holidays to get fitted for hearing aids. In the mean time I'm about to jump off the cliff!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
So,what do you do at night? ive learned to just ignore it pretty much while going to sleep,that
and a small dose of Ativan.
Well, my "situation" is probably not typical. In addition to hearing disability, I also have ADD (not ADHD; I'm too lazy to be hyperactive). To me, the tinnitus is *usually* just "white noise" in my head. A high-pitched buzzing sound that never really goes away, and once in awhile, is interrupted by what I always thought was radio wave signals (til I learned that tinnitus existed). As such, the white noise would normally *help* me sleep - if it weren't for the ADD. Almost all thoughts in my head are conscious thoughts, rather than subconscious. I'm aware of all of them, simutaneously. It's pretty noisy inside my head, and is noiser than the tinnitus. So I take 10mg Ambien every night to sleep. Otherwise, I'd be up for hours after laying down, no matter how tired I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness