Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

If I have to heavy clean I use Simply Green. (you can get it at Home Depot). It has sort of a strong smell but works well for tubs and so on.
I have used baking soda on tubs/counters but you really have to wash it off well and it leaves a residue if you don't.

Some of the best cleaners are vinegar and baking soda. Great for cleaning drains when followed by boiling water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
We hire a college student to clean our house twice a month. He's seems to rely upon the use of natural products becasue the house has a pleasnat natural scent on the days he does the cleaning.

When I clean the many windows on the south wall of our house, I use a vinegar solution and old newspaper.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-16-2007, 08:05 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
We use the Tersano lotus sanitizing system and microfiber cleaning cloths. Simply awesome!! (We also use their water treatment system for our drinking water)

Lotus Products (broken link)

Old 10-17-2007, 01:47 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I use natural cleaners. You really can get headaches from some of those toxic cleaners.
I agree!! I also avoid scented detergents, fabric softeners, etc., all loaded with chemicals. A friend gave me some really cute outfits that she could no longer wear and she uses "scented" detergent that gives me a headache. I washed the clothes over 5 times and even added baking soda but was never able to get the stench of the chemicals out and was not able to wear the clothes.

I can't even stand the smell of Lysol disenfecting spray! I use Oust if necessary and it doesn't bother me at all. I tried Frebreeze but that stuff stinks!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I used to work at a nursery school in someone's home--they were simply filthy people who smoked all the time, had their dogs running around, whatever.. Anyhow, once in awhile the spirit would move the owner to clean. She or her daughter would pull out straight ammonia and start scrubbing with that. I would go home to bed with a sinus headache. It's the same if I am exposed to cigarette smoke or heavy perfumes.

Some people are just more 'sensitive' to cleaners.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,476 times
When I first moved into my house, I used a Clorox bleach pen to clean grout in a very dirty shower...worked great, so I figured I'd use the Clorox bleach spray to keep the shower clean. (We live on the wet side of the island...have to stay on top of mold.) The first time I used the spray it gave me a headache...the next time it pretty much made me ill. The worst reaction to any product I've ever experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness