Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

Anyone tried both or have experience and would recommend? Insurance covers both so money isn't the issue. I personally would like to see my husband get the vasectomy (I did go through 9 months of a horrific pregnancy!) but beside that fact I've read some scary stuff on IUD's and I'm hesitant now!

We are both 30 with a child (3) and she was planned and perfect and neither one of us want another child , ever. We are terrified now because we've had a condom break twice and both times I've had to take Plan B so sex has become less relaxed and more praying its still attached . Its on both our minds pretty much the entire time. At this point any failed birth control would result in abortion. I can't stand the thought of being pregnant or having an unplanned child I get a knot in my stomach. Being this is the case we need something more permenant than broken condoms

I was on the pill years ago (well actuall depo) and had a terrible reaction that actually caused life long heart problems. They do have a non hormonal copper IUD but I've heard mixed. Looking for info from both sides here . Love the vasectomy, hate it? Love the IDU, hate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Well I can only speak for my husband... But we did vasectomy and there are no regrets. In my opinion, you've put in your time with the pregnancy, pill, etc. should be his turn now. If you are sure you are done its the way to go.

Even my husband would say it was no big deal and totally worth it.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM

106 posts, read 476,946 times
I has a copper IUD for several years, then I finally convinced my husband to have a vasectomy. He was wake the whole time,and said he didn't really feel anything while the doctor was performing the procedure. I got my IUD out and i am glad my periods are no longer heavy like they were while on the copper IUD.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
The beauty of the IUD is that it is reversible. The Mirena Intrauterine system can be worn for up to 5 years, and the failure rate is low, less than 1%. ParaGard, the copper IUD, has a similar failure rate and can be worn for up to 10 years. The Mirena releases a small amount of a hormone similar to progesterone. Periods with it are usually light and may stop altogether. for this reason, it can be a very good choice as menopause nears. Periods may be heavier with the ParaGard.

Failure with vasectomy is highest in the first year, with some failures happening due to failure to wait to have unprotected sex until all sperm "downstream" from the vasectomy site have been eliminated. The overall failure rate is only slightly less than with an IUD. Vasectomy should be considered permanent. Reversal is pricey and not always successful.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
We used the iud (the copper with no hormones involved), and it worked great. I can't help thinking though that if you both don't want anymore children, and you're very sure about that, the best form of "birth control" would be for him to have a vasectomy. But on the other hand, some men have had problems after that, and some just refuse to "cut" their family jewels. I think the copper iud is the best form of birth control otherwise, because there's no surgery involved, it's very simple to get, and it's good for close to 10 years, like suzy_q2010 said...that's what we used right up to when menses stopped...we chose that particular one because we didn't want the release of any hormones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness