Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:09 AM

89 posts, read 536,804 times

Advertisements

I have read one persons thread about this, but how many other people have had this happen?
My husband had a vasectomy a year ago- followed all of the rules and got tested a few months later- no swimmers. I assumed we are safe. Anyone thought the same but ended up pregnant? Just wondering whether we need a back up method after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
I think it is very rare. When I used to do hair, I did have a client that ended up pregnant after her H got snipped...He was in disbelief and it got really ugly. He wanted a paternity test after the baby was born. She was hurt because he thought she cheated. They ended up in counciling but boy, it got ugly for a bit...

So yes, it is possible...but I don't think it happens often.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:45 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhimmelreich View Post
I have read one persons thread about this, but how many other people have had this happen?
My husband had a vasectomy a year ago- followed all of the rules and got tested a few months later- no swimmers. I assumed we are safe. Anyone thought the same but ended up pregnant? Just wondering whether we need a back up method after all.
Our very good lifelong friends had this happen to them. He had his done right after their second child was born, then went back and tested negative for swimmers... BUT... a few months later, yep, she was pregnant again!

So, he went back to get tested again (and, yes, just like the other poster said, there was some much HEATED discussion going on!)... sure enough, he was as good as new! Their third child was born exactly one year to the day after the second one! He then had it done again which worked successfully this time!

So, I'd be sure he was tested at least every few months for the first six months to a year... just to be safe! Of course, those little swimmers may have already spawned by then!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
You should be tested at the 3 month, 6 month and 1 year mark because the vas-defrin (the tube that carries seman) is cut for a vasectomy. It can heal itself in time... this is rare. If after a year it hasn't healed then it probably won't (I used to be a lab tech who performed semenalysis).

Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
If I had a vasectomy and my wife got pregnant, I'd want a blood test to make sure it's my kid. I'm curious, would that offend you if your man did, too?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:04 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that there are a couple of methods used in vasectomies - cauterizing or cutting/stitching. That may have something to do with the rare case of a vas reversing itself (w/cutting/stitching rather than cauterizing).

Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
If I had a vasectomy and my wife got pregnant, I'd want a blood test to make sure it's my kid. I'm curious, would that offend you if your man did, too?
Would it offend you if your wife accused you of being a liar, having no morals, and not keeping your marriage vows?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
It's a 1 in 5000 chance. Saw it on Oprah

Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post

yeah, to question my commitment and love for my husband...I would hope he would know better then to question the paternity of our kids...We are at that place in our marriage where we both know our commitment to each other and either of us never question it...

If it were ever in question and we were in this situation, my husband would probably go get himself tested before he would ever even question my faithfulness to him...

That is a deal breaker for me.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM

89 posts, read 536,804 times
Thanks everyone
Yes, I think I might be offended if I got pregnant and my husband asked for a paternity test. I wouldn't divorce him over it but I would certainly be hurt.
In response to the abortion topic-It is not something I would do under those circumstances, but everyone has a different opinion about whether it is right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness