Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,561,699 times

Advertisements

Has anybody had longterm side effects of predisone? My father has been taking small amounts of predisone for over 10 years. He is now declining very fast, due to joint and back pain. He cannot get off of the medication because his quality of life gets worse. I don't give him 3 more years with the way things are degrading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,197 times
They've been stuffing me with that medicine since I was two and heavily when I was a tad bit older. I blew up when I was a kid, and it's hard getting weight off no matter how much I exercise and change my eating habits. Prednisone also keeps my eczema at bay, and when it leaves my system, my skin breaks out from head to toe. It seems like I will never be rid of the need for steroids

Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Sorry to hear that Seeking. That is exactly what happens to his skin as well. Now his skin is like tissue paper and he bruises very easily, although that could be due to his age as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Sorry to hear that Seeking. That is exactly what happens to his skin as well. Now his skin is like tissue paper and he bruises very easily, although that could be due to his age as well.

I'm trying not to rely heavily on it. I find that when I exercise and eat very healthy my skin and asthma does not bother me so much, but it still does every once in a while, that's when I'll take it if all other natural remedies do not help.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
I used it off and on for about 4 years for what my doctors thought was severe eczema, and later used it during cancer treatment. I can probably attribute close to 100 pounds of weight gain on prednisone or other steroids (40 in the years preceeding my diagnosis, and 60 during cancer treatment itself). Luckily, my "eczema" was really a side effect of cancer so I no longer have to take it... but the weight has been very slow to come off.

Other side effects included difficulty sleeping, easily bruising, aggression, and tooth grinding.

Have you or he talked to his doctor about alternative treatments? I was always told that prednisone is NOT a long term solution, and my doctors would only give it to me when my symptoms were truly unbearable (ie when I had dyshidrosis covering my hands and couldn't bend my fingers because of the swelling) or during chemo.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM

He has had doctors prescribe alternative solutions but he always goes back to the prednisone. He is to the point now where he is set in his ways and is resolved to the fact that he won't be around much longer. They also have him on Hydrocodone due to the severe pain. He has deteriorated from doing all his own yardwork two years ago to being pretty much bedridden or stuck in a chair. Now he hardly ever leaves the house. Sad to see.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 AM

Charolastra, are you now cancer free? I hope so.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Do you mind me asking what specifically he's taking the prednisone for?

And I am now cancer free, knock on wood!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
Did your dad opt for the low dosage in hopes of preventing any damage to his body? His joint and back pain would likely greatly improve if he were taking a larger dose, which would give him better quality of life. These were choices I had to make when I began prednisone. The total body pain was dramatically gone within a week. Turns out I could maintain on taking the prednisone on alternate days, which kept me from weigh gain. Yes, it has damaged my body, but, it's a choice I had to make.

You don't say your dad's age, but, he may prefer an improved quality of life than the current misery.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM

My Dad has had back and joint pain for years and was prescribed prednisone in early 2000. I never thought about him increasing the dosage. Yes he takes small doses hoping it would not damage his organs. He is 76 years old. Sometimes I think he is overmedicated, but he is very sensitive about discussing it. He has many pills he takes daily and I don't know what some of them are. He is very set in his ways and won't discuss some things. One other thing, his body seems to be losing its firmness. It is almost like gravity is pulling him down. Everything is getting lower.

Congrats on being cancer free Char. Awesome!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness