Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
It sounds like you are making some right choices with diet/exercise right now and keep it up. These choices can also help you avoid diabetes and heart disease later in life.
No. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
Starting on Saturday I will change my eating habits and exercise. I do eat unhealthy but no meat. I eat chips, pastries, a lot and other unhealthy food. I have to stop this. I never thought an eating disorder--- binge eating disorder- could be so dangerous. It could have serious consequences on my health in the future. I have to stop this. It was hard at first, but I have to try my best to stop binge eating and eater healthy, 3 meals, instead of just 1 big one with junk food.
OP any luck? Saturday has come and gone but if you missed it, please start now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
You haven't said anything about how much water you drink. I'm also curious about whether you drink sodas. If you do STOP, they're very bad for the kidneys and don't count as water, neither does coffee which I hope you don't drink.

It really bothers me that a blood person would have those problems which I'm sure are related to poor lifestyle choices, therefore, you can correct everything that's wrong and avoid needing a kidney transplant and being on meds for the rest of your life, or other equally bad or worse diseases that may follow. I can't repeat enough that we DON'T need to eat just to calm our hunger or to please our tastebuds, it's how our body replaces energy AND, most importantly, REPAIRS itself. Give it the wrong raw materials (chips, sweets and other crap) and that repair cannot be done so the whole body begins to deteriorate, so I'm glad to hear you are mending your ways. Please keep us posted of your progress or post again if you need encouragement and support.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Ask your doctor what he would accept as a target BP, and buy a BP monitor and check your levels at home. Ask him to prescribe BP meds that can be broken in half, and to OK you to take a lower dosage, if that maintains an acceptable BP.

My cardiologist told me he is perfectly happy with 140/70, and he knows that I'm cutting my 80mg Diovans in half.

He seems to have the attitude that it is fine to take a lower dosage of meds and maintain numbers that are in the acceptable range, rather than to take higher dosages in order to try for some theoretically perfect readings.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
You haven't said anything about how much water you drink. I'm also curious about whether you drink sodas. If you do STOP, they're very bad for the kidneys and don't count as water, neither does coffee which I hope you don't drink.

It really bothers me that a blood person would have those problems which I'm sure are related to poor lifestyle choices, therefore, you can correct everything that's wrong and avoid needing a kidney transplant and being on meds for the rest of your life, or other equally bad or worse diseases that may follow. I can't repeat enough that we DON'T need to eat just to calm our hunger or to please our tastebuds, it's how our body replaces energy AND, most importantly, REPAIRS itself. Give it the wrong raw materials (chips, sweets and other crap) and that repair cannot be done so the whole body begins to deteriorate, so I'm glad to hear you are mending your ways. Please keep us posted of your progress or post again if you need encouragement and support.
Should've re-read that before posting, I meant young person not blood person, lol!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Posting this in the hope that OP comes back.

I am 71/yo, blood pressure right now 128/78. Never have taken a medication in my life for high BP, high cholesterol, and never will. Take no medication now. Do use bioidentical estrogen and a very mild homeopathic form of testosterone for women. Find my blood pressure is better when I use these, plus mental clarity and mood greatly improved, sleep is also better. I am not your grandmother's 71 - and am in excellent health.

Probably could lose about 20 lbs, because I'm not walking as much as I should, but my diet is wonderful. Rarely eat out. I only buy organic everything - veggies, dairy, meat, breads - eat moderately from all food groups, lots of fresh veggies and salad - and cake and organic ice cream from time to time. Nothing processed, nothing out of a box. Tonight dinner was grass-fed (no hormones/no antibiotics) beef, to-die-for fresh coleslaw, steamed green beans, organic skim milk.

I went on a total revamp of my eating habits in my 20s, starting with a good breakfast every day, light lunch, moderate dinner - always a huge salad and fresh veg, plus meat or fish - very little starch. I watched my diet for six days out of seven, walked long distances regularly. On Sunday, I ate anything and everything I wanted. Over a period of three months I lost 20 lbs., and over the next year another 10. Kept that way of eating the rest of my life. Kept the weight off for 30 years until I hit my 50's when it got harder. Still ate the same, but metabolism changed.

The only time I got sick and couldn't get over it (hepatitis - toxic reaction to medication) was in my late 30s when I had been relying too much on fast food meals (no nutrients) because of my work schedule. After five months, I went to a nutritionist who put me on raw food and that was my wake-up call. Then did a fast at a naturopathic place in FL. Quite an ordeal, but I learned my lesson. Our earth is our cure. Believe it.

I personally need a very high-quality diet to remain well. Never was a junk food eater. Never drank soda, either. I have a friend who hates water and drank too much soda all her life and developed kidney stones in both kidneys, plus a bladder infection. She's had surgery once and needs another one to remove stones from the other kidney. She also has high BP and took Crestor for cholesterol, although I think she's dropped that, lately. Statins will break down muscle. Not a good thing when you get old. My naturopath calls statins poison. They are.

Also had a relative who lived on potato chips and chocolate. Developed Stage IV Hodgins Lymphoma at age 32, had radiation treatments, lived to age 70 - died of a massive stroke. Her intestines (and lungs) had been ruined by the radiation. She lived on baby food and Ensure for years. Doctored all her life with HBP, atrial fib, back issues. At the end she couldn't stand in her kitchen to cook.

You don't want to be her.

Eating properly is the best defense against cancer and just about very other ailment. The older we get, the more prone we are to develop cancer because our cells don't regenerate as efficiently.

For that reason alone, you should be concerned about giving your body the proper nutrition to support you throughout life.

You don't want a serious/chronic illness. Medications are a slippery slope of side effects, further deterioration, more medication, more side effects, etc., and then final breakdown of your body.

Clean up your diet. Give yourself a diet holiday one day a week. Exercise moderately, drink lots of pure water, eat clean food. In a year, you won't know yourself.

I will say, however, if your high BP is making you sick or is dangerously elevated at this point, do take a mild anti-hypertensive medication until you get it under control. HBP can play havoc with too many organs.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-30-2013 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 AM

I'm not the OP but I want to say that was a great post and thanks for sharing your story, to me it was very inspiring!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
I keep being told by people who aren't professionals that I should try to avoid taking medication for my high blood pressure and kidney problems-- blood in urine--- related to the high blood pressure. When it was discovered I had it I was around 14 and the blood in the urine was found a few years later after that. I was told I was too young to be taking medication during these years. Is there serious negative side effects I might develop if I take medication for my high blood pressure. I really don't want to rely on pills or take them for the rest of my life, or even if it's just temporary. Starting on Saturday I will change my eating habits and exercise. I do eat unhealthy but no meat. I eat chips, pastries, a lot and other unhealthy food. I have to stop this. I never thought an eating disorder--- binge eating disorder- could be so dangerous. It could have serious consequences on my health in the future. I have to stop this. It's been almost 2 years I've been eating like this, but my high blood pressure and kidney problems existed way before the eating disorder came. I got myself out of OCD. I beat it. It was hard at first, but I have to try my best to stop binge eating and eater healthy, 3 meals, instead of just 1 big one with junk food.

The key is to listen to professional medical experts NOT clueless friends who know nothing about your health except for what you tell them. Blood Pressure medication is meant to help you not hurt you however, you do have to make sure the medication you are given is working which is constant testing of blood pressure. Also you have to make sure that any other medications don't hinder the process of the blood pressure medication so it works as it should. You may need to try different medications to find the best fit for your body and that can take several months and several different medications along with constant testing and written details of each test.

The best thing to do is go to your Doctor with a list of questions regarding your health issues and all of the options available. Do not just sit there and shake your head and go "Yes Sir". YOU need to KNOW YOUR BODY and YOU are the ONLY ONE who can tell YOUR doctor about YOUR BODY. Ask questions, then ask more questions then ask more questions until you get all the answers and all the options. If you do not completely understand one of the answers you are given ask that it be explained again in terms you do completely understand. IF your doctor does not listen to you, find one that will listen to you.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Why should I avoid medications

You should avoid them when they cause more harm than they do good.
Do whatever is practical and reasonable in your habits....diet,excercise, etc...and think of meds as a last resort.
For too many doctors and too many people, meds are faster and easier and the side effects or long term effects are ignored.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why should I avoid medications

You should avoid them when they cause more harm than they do good.
Do whatever is practical and reasonable in your habits....diet,excercise, etc...and think of meds as a last resort.
For too many doctors and too many people, meds are faster and easier and the side effects or long term effects are ignored.
So you are saying someone with very high blood pressure to begin with and eating artery clogging foods should just jog around the block for 10-15 laps to get his blood pressure up even higher I mean that will be great esp. since the op does has not exercised for a long period of time the extra strain could lead to serious complications.

A proper diet and a free support group for compulsive overeating disorder as well as medication and till he gets it down to proper stable levels then is able to start working out slowly and not push himself and that is the best way to go IMO.

As for cholesterol I eat a lot of Red meat as a source of protein and workout frequently and had to cut back and now eat a lot more boneless skinless chicken breast and light flaked tuna in water to get the protein that I need to maintain lean muscles mass.. But had a low dose of Crestor till it was in normal he levels and stable and now am not on it anymore.

Along with diet, CRESTOR helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol by up to 52% (at the 10-mg dose versus 7% with placebo). CRESTOR also slows plaque buildup in arteries as part of a treatment plan to lower cholesterol to goal.

To get the greatest benefit from a cholesterol medication, you should still follow a diet low in saturated fats and cholesterol and exercise regularly.
http://www.crestor.com/c/explore-cre...tor-works.aspx
That is what I took a low dose till I got into the target range and was able to maintain muscles mass and strength by cutting my former Red meat consumption back to a one or two times a week but sure eat a lot of chicken and cans of low fat tuna drink gallons of milk and snack with large amounts of fat free plain cottage cheese with whey protein supplement the health food store as well as get lots of cardio and lift weights at the local gym to maintain a healthy body and a build up your heart muscles by cardio exercise

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-12-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
when to avoid meds depends on so many things, but please do not take what you read on the net as the gospel truth. All the info we get is very general, not to be taken too seriously. It is like the commercials we see on TV, take this but here are the possible side effects and everything under the sun is listed.

I approach med this way: first I depend on the wisdom of my doctor. Then I do check on the net to see what is being said. If there are side affects that worry me, I discuss it with my doctor, but I never put the net before my doctor's judgment .

Last but not least, I do measure the pros and cons depending on many things: my age, the side effects, whether I want to take a chance and what I can expect if I choose not to take something. To me, at 76, if a drug will have serious side effects that will also make me very uncomfortable, and not guarantee me success and good health for years to come, I might blow it off. If I were 50 I would see it differently. Is the med going to extend my life even if it might cause me some other problems. Here is an example: hubby is on cuimadine, which I have mentioned. Teh side effects, most of us know can be pretty scary. He will go off it, in a few more months, knowing he could develop anther blood clot. He did discuss this with his doctor because the cardiologist and the primary care doctor disagreed on this.

I am only taking Blood pressure med (very low dosage) and a statin which has been cut down 50% because me stats are good. I also can choose to take pain meds for my bad knee, but because my liver enzymes are slightly off (no not liver disease at this stage or even close) I have chosen not to take them or rarely, let's put it this way. Damaging my liver isn't worth it. 5 years from now, I might feel differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness