Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:26 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about whether we have any CD'ers, over the age of 50 who are healthy and take no prescribed medications?

If you're one of them, what's your secret? Lifestyle, exercise, diet, peace of mind?? Pets, love, friendship, spiritual practice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 AM

17 posts, read 29,997 times
Well, I am not over 50 but my dad is. He is 64 years old. 6'4", not sure how much he weighs but he is thin with a tiny belly. Mostly flab LOL.

My dad is on zero meds of any kind. Normal BP, blood sugar and cholesterol. Doesn't smoke. What he does is go to bed when he is tired instead of forcing himself to stay awake. He goes for a long walk 4-5 days a week, usually about 20 long city blocks or so each time. Takes a multi vitamin twice a day, Omega-3 fish oils and drinks fresh water throughout the day. No soda. No HFCS. No hydrongenated oils. My dad lives with me, so I can verify this as I do the food shopping :-)

A typical day in my dad's diet is as follows:

Breakfast: 1 bowl of hot oatmeal with raisins with a glass of OJ
Snack: 1 apple
Lunch: turkey, lettuce and tomato sandwich on multi grain bread and salad
Snack: orange
Dinner: baked potato with unsalted butter, steamed broccoli and 4oz of baked chicken breast
dessert: grapes

He started following my lead when his BP was high a few years ago. The doctor put him on HBP medicine and within two weeks my dad was a mess. They made him very agressive, affected his heartbeat and generally made him shaky. He felt awful and was a real PITA LOL. He stopped the meds after the two weeks and agreed to try eating the way I eat. He's been off of the BP meds now since 2007. He had not been on any meds before that or after that, so its all good!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM

Wow, that's great. Tell your Dad he's my personal hero...and good on you for helping him!

So what worked for your Dad was a low-fat diet, lots of fruits and vegetables, light animal protein and walking as exercise? Does he eat any red meat or pork or fish?? Any alcohol?

Anyone else with tips or bragging rights?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 26,866 times
I'm 48 and weigh 200 lbs and drink at least three beers a day. about 15% body fat. I smoke one cigar a month (used to be one a day). I eat oatmeal in the morning with black tea. Two grilled cheese for lunch and chicken and asparigus always for dinner and sardines for a late night snack. I NEVER eat beef or pork. I work out with weights twice a week and ride my bike for a half hour every day.

AND ! I drink apple cider vinegar EVERY morning to balance my PH.

I haven't been on a prescription drug since antibiotics in 1971.

PS.............. I take LOTS of vitamins and minerals and some secret Chinese herbs.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 AM

So ACV daily for balanced pH, lots of exercise and no beef or pork..sounds like it's working...have you had a recent blood panel done with a lipid profile to see how your innards are doing?? Just had one myself and it was fascinating to see the chemical make-up of one's body...

Old 09-04-2009, 12:05 PM

17 posts, read 29,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Wow, that's great. Tell your Dad he's my personal hero...and good on you for helping him!

So what worked for your Dad was a low-fat diet, lots of fruits and vegetables, light animal protein and walking as exercise? Does he eat any red meat or pork or fish?? Any alcohol?

Anyone else with tips or bragging rights?

Thanks, that's sweet

My dad does not drink alcohol, probably hasn't had any since the late 60s. He's a meat eater, so he does have a ribeye or a burger once and a while. I usually get grass-fed, free-range beef (from local farms) when the mood calls for it, but he generally has chicken. The only pork he has is sausage or bacon. And that is maybe only a few times a year.

It's not so much a low-fat diet as it is a diet low in refined, processed foods and one that includes more vegetables and fruit than anything else. At least that's how I presented it to him!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 PM

14 posts, read 26,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
So ACV daily for balanced pH, lots of exercise and no beef or pork..sounds like it's working...have you had a recent blood panel done with a lipid profile to see how your innards are doing?? Just had one myself and it was fascinating to see the chemical make-up of one's body...

I have it done every year and my doctor told me if all his patients were like me he'd be ot of business LOL.

I'm so proud of my panel. I wish I could post it

LDL68
HDL69
Total Chol 147................ etc....etc...

I'm due next month for a new one..........fingers crossed

Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Just turned 60 at the end of June. The only drugs I take are the occassional Ibuprophen pills. I also do NOT rely upon conventional doctors, and the various screening scams. I prefer naturopathy, chiropractic, reiki, theta healing, acupuncture, rolfing, hypnosis, etc. I've been eating vegetarian foods for more than 35 years..with absolutely NO meat. While I have no way to prove it scientifically, I am nonetheless convinced that making the switch to vegetarian food at the age of 23 is the best decision I've ever made in my life. I consume a variety of herbs and supplements. I walk 5 miles a day everyday, rain or shine, hot or cold...no excuses accepted ( in reality there may be up to 10 days a year that I fail to walk 5 miles, but I more than make up for the shortage with frequent walks of much greater distance ). Over the course of any given week, my daily average is at least 5 miles. Strength training is also a crucial component of my healthy lifestyle strategy, so I spend 45 minutes, 4 days a week, lifting weights at the local gym. I've been doing that for the past 25 years. From 7 to 9 PM I am a hard core couch potatoe. I drink a beer or two just about every night during my couch potatoe time. My overall strategy has worked well for me, but I find that most people are not willing to exercise this level of discipline ( except for the beer drinking and the TV time! ) over such a long period of time.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Wow Cosmic, you've got incredible discipline! And your eating style is commendable--even the 'liquid bread' beer component..me? I'm partial to liquid red grapes...

Frog127--great numbers--and I thought mine were good! But my C total's 182...

Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
I like the liguid red grapes too, and even the white ones, but the grapes don't satisfy my taste buds the way that the hops do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness