Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 PM

338 posts, read 741,631 times

Advertisements

Since I turn 21 this month, and therefore won't grow any taller than 5'3, I'm thinking about getting that surgery where they break your bones to make you taller.

Should I go for it?

Old 08-04-2013, 02:48 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,928 times
Sure. I'm not paying for it.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:56 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,892,181 times
I wouldn't do it. I broke my leg and it hurt worse than anything I've ever experienced, even having two babies. The only thing that felt worse than the broken leg was the surgery to repair it...when the numbness wore off, the pain was agonizing, even with very strong pain meds.

Not only that, but now my leg is sensitive to weather changes and I also get stress fractures if I walk or stand too much. There are many things I can't do anymore or am scared to do because I don't want to break a bone.

Sure, you're short but if you're strong and healthy, why mess with perfection? Better to be short and have all of your bones intact and your muscles strong than risk turning yourself into a cripple to gain an inch or two. Why don't you try some taller shoes? They'll mess your feet and legs up somewhat, but not nearly as bad as having your bones broken on purpose.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 PM

I guess I won't grow anymore, since I turn 21 this month, and my doctor said my x-ray will probably show that the plates in my hand have fused.

My mom's 5'5, and my dad's 5'8.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I guess I won't grow anymore, since I turn 21 this month, and my doctor said my x-ray will probably show that the plates in my hand have fused.

My mom's 5'5, and my dad's 5'8.
I don't know what the plates in your hand have to do with your height...

but bone growth via bone breaking is a process that takes YEARS - you have to break the bones - let them heal - then break them again - and let them heal. Then break them again, let them heal, and so on and so forth, ad nauseum. You would spend most of the next few years in casts. And of course - if your arms are proportionaly grown - that means if you grow your legs taller, your arms will look like mutant dwarf arms, unless you break and regrow those too.

And then - once your arms and legs are longer - your torso will look REALLY out of proportion - a little bitty body with stilts and twigs sticking out of it.

Or -

You could accept that you're 5'3" and don't go into any field that requires great height. Consider becoming a basket ball star not an option, unless you can win an audition with the Harlem Globetrotters.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 PM

But I guess I won't grow anymore.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:40 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,536,285 times
DO NOT get the bone surgery. I heard that in China there are people who do this and I've heard the horror stories about what happened after the surgery. You can probably do a search for it online. Sure you may think it's worth it to be a few inches taller but considering all the risk, pain and money you'd spend for the surgery IMO it just isn't worth it. Are you a woman? If yes 5'3" is on the short side but not that short. I'd see no need to get the surgery if I were you.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:42 PM

I'm a guy.

I feel like I should be taller, since my mom's 5'5, and my dad's 5'8.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:51 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,172,683 times
Probably not, especially if your plates are fused already.
Quote:
I don't know what the plates in your hand have to do with your height...

but bone growth via bone breaking is a process that takes YEARS - you have to break the bones - let them heal - then break them again - and let them heal. Then break them again, let them heal, and so on and so forth, ad nauseum. You would spend most of the next few years in casts.
"When a child becomes full-grown, the growth plates harden into solid bone."

The surgery consists of breaking the bones only once and takes about three months with a long period of rehabilitation after.
A Painful Way to Grow Taller: Leg Lengthening Surgery |

I understand the desire, especially if you are a guy. But there is an awful lot of risk, not to mention the pain and discomfort and the extended period of needing care, and the cost. Do you really think the payoff would be worth it?
Discussed this with my son when he was in late teen years, decided against it because while it is a pain being short it's not something that just ruins his life, whereas a botched surgery...?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM

I might as well kill myself.

I blame my mom for not letting me take HGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness