Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 AM

349 posts, read 422,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Isn't that the truth?! The air is bad for us too...what are we going to do? Walk around wearing oxygen masks?!
Lol.

I mean, meat COULD cause cancer, especially with all that crap they add to it... But you could also get cancer from eating fruits or veggies seeing how they plaster all sorts of fertilizer all over it. A person getting cancer or a serious disease from the consumption of meat is probably very rare.

Of course too much meat is bad. Most of your diet should come from veggies, grains etc. I eat meat every single day.. I just had some beef lung.. Good source of amino acids and iron. I'm pretty sure most diseases/illnesses caused by meat can be avoided by doing simple things such as: exercising, consuming less of it, cooking it properly and not leaving it out in the heat or in the fridge to expire..

Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
"eaters of red meat" include the guy who gulps a cheeseburger and swills a six pack of beer.

"Vegetarians" are almost exclusively people who 'watch what they eat' 'exercise' etc.

Same with vegans, and other strict diets.

Hardly scientific or comparable.
Maybe this Harvard article will shed a bit of new light on the subject of red meat and cancer:

Red meat and colon cancer

[quote]Although the results vary, studies from around the world have suggested that a high consumption of meat is linked to an increased risk of colon cancer. In all cases the worry is confined to red meat, not chicken.
mod]copyright voiolation[/mod]The conclusion:

Quote:
You don’t have to give up red meat to be healthy, but the evidence suggests that you’d be wise to limit your consumption.
Personally I don't see any point in eating red meat when chicken breast is readily available, and doesn't pose the medical risks of red meat according to the studies.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-07-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Personally I don't see any point in eating red meat when chicken breast is readily available, and doesn't pose the medical risks of red meat according to the studies.
The point of eating red meat is that it tastes good.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Eating food because it is tasty. Crazy talk.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Exactly!!!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Well,where does pork fit in?

It is white meat,yet nobody ever says its "healthy"?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 PM

349 posts, read 422,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,where does pork fit in?

It is white meat,yet nobody ever says its "healthy"?
Pork is very good for you. It contains protein, zinc, phosphorus, selenium and various B vitamins. Don't buy into the stereotype of the swine being bad. It makes people sick because the ydon't cook it properly.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,367 times
Sure you can lose weight eating processed food if you exercise, but youre missing out on what your body needs to be healthy. you need calories, protein, carbs, vitamins, minerals and enzymes. eating clean is about focusing on what you need to be healthy.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Maybe this Harvard article will shed a bit of new light on the subject of red meat and cancer:

Red meat and colon cancer

The conclusion:

Interesting....
Quote:
Quote:
Although the results vary, studies from around the world have suggested that a high consumption of meat is linked to an increased risk of colon cancer. In all cases the worry is confined to red meat, not chicken.
Disclaimer, followed by agenda.

Thanks, no sale.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:51 AM

968 posts, read 2,618,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I agree. As someone who went strict vegetarian for three months, I saw no improvement in my health. In fact, I gained weight because I ate more carbs. Eating red meat in moderation is necessary for my diet!! Anyone wanting to drop lbs - carb cycle!
I think two points should be clarified above: (a) you chose to eat more carbs while following a vegeterian diet and (b) the consumption of red meat is not required for humans livelihood.

Cow, pig and chicken all taste great. However, I've gained concerned in how nutrient rich the flesh of these animals are when industrialized agriculture methods feed these animals slop. While the consumption of meat is a personal choice, I would encourage others to be very particular in where the purchase meats.

In my own journey to reassess what I dumped into my body, I could not rationalize the 'health' benefits of industratlized meat that is fed a non-nutrient filled diet their entire (short) lives. In that process, I've inadvertently switched to a primarily plant based diet to increase my intake of nutrient dense foods. Certainly, there are days I slip (i.e., ice cream or chocoloate ) but I do not try to fool myself in what I desire and what my body needs.

I think a clean diet is a great transition to get people to transition from a heavily processed food diet but I hope we as a country began to demand higher-quality food and shop locally / regionally as much as possible. Next, it would be amazing to see schools transition to a primiarly plant based diet, so children of all backgrounds have access to nutrient based foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness