Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 08:30 PM

532 posts, read 959,552 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice/suggestions on how to combat nerves.

No matter what type of Dr or dentist appt I have coming up, as soon as I know it's scheduled or it's time to call and schedule something the nerves start. It doesn't matter if it's a standard yearly appt or if something new has popped up.

And if they tell me they have to run tests, OMG -- even if they are standard every year type, the nerves are in full swing.

If they tell me they'll call within X number of hours, I make sure I always have my phone with me, if they tell me to call for the results in X number of hours, I immediately start counting down even if it's 48 hours to go.

If they are going to send me a letter, I have to fight the urge to camp out by my mailbox.

My mom is awesome to talk to about these things, and so far, she has always been right, but I'm afraid to think it's whatever she said because if she is wrong and it's bad, it will be harder to take. People say why worry until you have something to worry about but I say why not beat the rush and start worrying now. The funny part is that when my mom is in my shoes she is almost as bad as I am, but when it's me, she is so level headed.

I have something going on now which my mom says is probably eye strain, but I can't call the eye Dr until Monday and no idea how long I'll have to wait to call in, so my nerves are out in full force.

So....I know I can't be the only one like this, has anyone found anything that helps relax you? Again, the don't worry until you have something to worry about doesn't work for me.

Yes, I have always been like this to a degree, but in the last 5 years or so it has gotten worse and worse.

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,172,197 times
I don't have this issue but for anxiety-related problems, I think a few sessions with a CBT/RET counselor might be extremely helpful. CBT-oriented therapy is often short-term and generally structured to give concrete, practical solutions for a specific fear or issue.
Basically gives the client tools to combat irrational thinking or fears.

Cognitive behavioral therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness