Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times

Advertisements

They tell me I can't drive and this is making me grouchy. I think I'd be just fine to drive. Instead I have to take a cab both ways. Of course, I feel like I'm starving and have to start drinking that stuff in an hour and a half. I don't know why this whole thing has to be so unpleasant.

Anyway, for those of you who have had them, how long was it before you felt you could drive safely? I have a pretty high tolerance for sedatives (given the fact I take benzos and sleeping pills) so I don't think I need to wait the 24 hours they say you do.

Also, should I tell the anesthesiologist of my high tolerance? I'm afraid they'll give me too little sedation and I will just "wake up" or "come to" during the process and just feel pain and cause a problem. Or what if I feel pain and can't verbalize it? Ugh, I am such a big baby I know. Any input appreciated as I'm starting to get really nervous. And becauase I cannot even have one sip of water three hours in advance of the procedure, there goes taking my anti-anxiety pill. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
My husband has had a number of colonoscopies and I can tell you with no doubt that you will not be able to drive, frankly I'm surprised they are letting you leave by yourself in a cab. The nurse will ask what medications you take, you can tell her about your tolerance levels. My husband has woken up a couple times and they immediately knock him back out, he usually has no memory of it until he's told. Take it slow for the rest of the day after the procedure, don't go out for Thai food and wait until the next day to drive. My husband says the prep is worse than the procedure.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I went to work one afternoon after a morning one. I had propofol which has almost no after-effect.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:06 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
They tell me I can't drive and this is making me grouchy. I think I'd be just fine to drive. Instead I have to take a cab both ways. Of course, I feel like I'm starving and have to start drinking that stuff in an hour and a half. I don't know why this whole thing has to be so unpleasant.

Anyway, for those of you who have had them, how long was it before you felt you could drive safely? I have a pretty high tolerance for sedatives (given the fact I take benzos and sleeping pills) so I don't think I need to wait the 24 hours they say you do.

Also, should I tell the anesthesiologist of my high tolerance? I'm afraid they'll give me too little sedation and I will just "wake up" or "come to" during the process and just feel pain and cause a problem. Or what if I feel pain and can't verbalize it? Ugh, I am such a big baby I know. Any input appreciated as I'm starting to get really nervous. And becauase I cannot even have one sip of water three hours in advance of the procedure, there goes taking my anti-anxiety pill. Thanks.
I was extremely nervous before mine, but it turned out that was the worst part. There will be an anesthesiologist (sp) there during the procedure, so you shouldn't worry about feeling pain. I don't even know how much actual pain there is- from knowing how the procedure goes, it would be more like discomfort, IMO. I just know that, for me, it was nothing at all. But the anxiety, pre-procedure, was great.

As for driving... I had a ride home and just vegged for the rest of the day. I didn't feel like going anywhere. I think the biggest energy drain was all the worry beforehand.

You'll be fine and will look back and realize it was much worry about nothing.

Aftercare- the instructions for eating after the procedure was to have bland things..... but I had a craving for Chioplotle.... and all was well!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:

I had 2 of them and am the Big Baby first one my neighbor had to do one.
The doctor we had gave her one prep and me the yuck jug to drink.
That was brutal and took me almost 3 plus hours to do it. One good
point he did provide taxi pick up and delivery free. Anyway, I did have polyps
pre cancer and one big one. I had to do it once more next year which I
just did he used profol and I was out and not at all afraid. This time
no big jug miralax and gatoraid 7 cups and some duralax pill for 2 days.
I used as I did read a straw to drink the stuff which was not bad. I
did this in 45 minutes and he found 2 polyps small so now 5 years!
You are brave and smart to do this and it will be over. I was afraid the first time but once I did know I would get that profol and sleep
and saw the colon doctor I felt OK and did know he was great. No, you can't drive home and it does get you out but then you are OK not to drive though! I
also was really sleeping and dreaming and even the first one that was harder had no pain B4 or after. They had the Doctor and nurse both there so
the colon doctor could do his job. Misty tell them you are afraid also I did and my blood pressure was up as Run but the prep stuff is the worse of it all.
The second time not so hard and not so afraid blood pressure good since I had a clue to this. Eating I could do whatever, but wonder of wonder did not
want food unless tuna fish or eggs poached on a toasted english muffin with cottage cheese for both!

Last edited by maggiekate; 08-14-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I was extremely nervous before mine, but it turned out that was the worst part. There will be an anesthesiologist (sp) there during the procedure, so you shouldn't worry about feeling pain. I don't even know how much actual pain there is- from knowing how the procedure goes, it would be more like discomfort, IMO. I just know that, for me, it was nothing at all. But the anxiety, pre-procedure, was great.

As for driving... I had a ride home and just vegged for the rest of the day. I didn't feel like going anywhere. I think the biggest energy drain was all the worry beforehand.

You'll be fine and will look back and realize it was much worry about nothing.

Aftercare- the instructions for eating after the procedure was to have bland things..... but I had a craving for Chioplotle.... and all was well!
Thank you, but I am going with the bland the next day just to make sure, even though I love spicy foods.

However, anytime I've been told I'll feel "discomfort" they really mean pain. Discomfort just sounds better. They told me I'd have discomfort with a tooth extraction but I read stories of how much it hurt. Fortunately, I did not have to have any tooth extractions.

Also, maybe I am incredibly dense, but these instructions are seeming so complicated to me. I just hope I do it right. All I've had today is coffee and water, but now I'm going to drink a Sprite.

Too, I have had situations in which I awaken and eat and sometimes don't remember, so I am going to put a chair in front of my bedroom door and then put the sign I made right over the refrigerator door so I don't screw up.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I had 2 of them and am the Big Baby first one my neighbor had to do one.
The doctor we had gave her one prep and me the yuck jug to drink.
That was brutal and took me almost 3 plus hours to do it. One good
point he did provide taxi pick up and delivery free. Anyway, I did have polyps
pre cancer and one big one. I had to do it once more next year which I
just did he used profol and I was out and not at all afraid. This time
no big jug miralax and gatoraid 7 cups and some duralax pill for 2 days.
I used as I did read a straw to drink the stuff which was not bad. I
did this in 45 minutes and he found 2 polyps small so now 5 years!
You are brave and smart to do this it it will be over. I was afraid the first time but once I did know I would get that profol and sleep
and saw the colon doctor I felt OK and did know he was great. No, you can't drive home and it does get you out but then you are OK not to drive though!
Wow, good for you that you did it. I'm borderline anemic and my Dr. said good thing I'm getting this done (to rule out any bleeding). Question - did they remove the polyps while you were under?

Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM

BTW, good to know I am not the only one who feels all this anxiety as you've indicated some of you did in the past. I drove to the place awhile ago to make sure I know where it is. Would hate to get lost and be late.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:52 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Quote:
BTW, good to know I am not the only one who feels all this anxiety as you've indicated some of you did in the past. I drove to the place awhile ago to make sure I know where it is. Would hate to get lost and be late.
Freaking out is more like what I experienced! I haven't had much contact with medical procedures and I was terrified. You'll have to let us know how it went.

So you are driving there and taking a cab home? Wish we lived close, I'd drive you.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Freaking out is more like what I experienced! I haven't had much contact with medical procedures and I was terrified. You'll have to let us know how it went.

So you are driving there and taking a cab home? Wish we lived close, I'd drive you.
No, I am taking a cab there. I must have my car at home after the procedure or I'll freak out.

And thank you for saying you'd drive me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness