Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 AM

6 posts, read 27,620 times

Advertisements

I had a total hysterectomy,one and a half years ago,and while I agree it should be a last resort,I want to give some hope to other women out there who must have one.I can still have very powerful,pleasurable orgasms.The lady who mentioned the clitoris is absolutely right,it is working fine.Dont be afraid to go to different doctors,till you find one to get you one the right hormones you need to function correctly.If you were sexy before,you will be sexy after,it all begins in the mind anyway.Give yourself time to adjust,and realize things will be a bit different,but good,with mindblowing orgasms still quite possible.I am every bit as feminine as ever.Estrogen creams can help(vaginally)to eliminate discomfort.So take heart,my sisters,dont give up because of some of those "horror" stories you hear.You will still be a hot chick. Ali

Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,052 times
I had forgotten about this post. Thank you all for your feedback.
I did have the hysterectomy (ovaries are still with me). And I have to say that I am very happy I did it. Still have the same sex drive.
For me, I did not realize how much I was suffering. My uterus was the same size of a woman with a 3 month pregnancy. I had it done via a robot, so the recovery was great. I did try so many things over the 10 years since it was diagnosed, and I was at the point where my kidneys were threatened. I have a 2.5 year old, I'm 39, and a single mom, so my desire to have more children is just not there anymore.
I am a feminist, so I understand the view about women and the disregard for women in general in our patriarchal society, but for me it was a personal situation with great doctors who really cared about me as a woman. This is my personal experience, and if another woman is reading this who has a similiar situation I would recommend reading the advice from all of the other women because it is all good stuff to consider. Thank you Women!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
I had forgotten about this post. Thank you all for your feedback.
I did have the hysterectomy (ovaries are still with me). And I have to say that I am very happy I did it. Still have the same sex drive.
For me, I did not realize how much I was suffering. My uterus was the same size of a woman with a 3 month pregnancy. I had it done via a robot, so the recovery was great. I did try so many things over the 10 years since it was diagnosed, and I was at the point where my kidneys were threatened. I have a 2.5 year old, I'm 39, and a single mom, so my desire to have more children is just not there anymore.
I am a feminist, so I understand the view about women and the disregard for women in general in our patriarchal society, but for me it was a personal situation with great doctors who really cared about me as a woman. This is my personal experience, and if another woman is reading this who has a similiar situation I would recommend reading the advice from all of the other women because it is all good stuff to consider. Thank you Women!!!
I'm glad it worked out for you and you are better. I also recommend to anyone else having problems read what is here, do your research and ask questions.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:53 PM

24 posts, read 84,953 times
Lightbulb AARP Magazine article - unnecessary hysterectomy

Very good article on skyrocketing healthcare costs, and the astronomical amount of hysterectomy performed in the U.S. showing that 1/2 of women 65 years of age have been hysterectomized, along with a study showing that 70% of hysterectomy in the U.S. are unneeded but carried out for profit when less invasive alternatives would be more beneficial to the patients.

Ching ching!

Click here: Why Does Health Care Cost So Much?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:19 PM

205 posts, read 740,318 times
Default It is extreme to say a hysterectomy

is never needed.

I was told I had fibroids and needed one in 1995. I was told they were 'tumors' and was terrified and might as well have been told I needed brain surgery, since I had never heard of the condition before (which says something about our educational system as well, they are awfully common). Then I saw an article on fibroids in a women's magazine that happened to be sitting in my restroom at work (wonderful coincidence at the time!) and found out you don't have to take them out if they are not causing a problem. Went for a second opinion at my same health care facility (Kaiser Permanente) and was told what I wanted to hear -- that doing nothing was an option for me if they weren't causing problems.

The waiting game began to get scary when sometime after 2001 I became aware that they were growing larger. What I was not noticing over the years after that they got so big I looked exactly like a very pregnant woman. (I actually did not know it was that obvious until other people told me, even though I had to stop wearing my regular size 7 pants and find things with elastic in the waist). I was extremely distressed by this but still afraid of surgery, and they were too widespread alll over the surface of my uterus for myomectomy to be a safe or effective option.

Now, I am afraid that having the surgery is a major risk and at the same time I am finally coming to realize that not having the surgery is also a risk. The doctor I finally saw told me they are the biggest she has ever seen, and admits surgery carries some risk, but says it is no longer optional but necessary, and right away.

I am trying too little too late to do some wholistic treatments to shrink them, or at the very least cease their growth so I can make it to menopause.

I no longer have confidence they will 'shrivel up and go away' when I have menopause; I have been told by health care providers they do not just 'go away' when they have grown this large.

In my case, I wish in hindsight I had done the surgery when I was younger and healthier and they were so small as to be undectable from the outside.

It was very interesting reading all the strong opinions in this thread, and I tell you, it's not a black and white thing and not always easy to make the right decision. My fear that "I will never be the same again" coupled with the fear that the surgery is actually life-risking at this point for me keeps me from taking the plunge. But who could have foreseen the rapid growth to start six years after being diagnosed?

If I find this stuff I am doing works for me it will be a miracle, but one that I believe is at least 50% possible. I will post again on this when I know.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:29 PM

11 posts, read 43,180 times
Default You never need a hysterectomy for fibroids

Fibroids are benign growths of muscle and connective tissue that grow until you reach menopause. Then they slowly and gradually shrink to a negligible size, at which time they will be small and calcified.

The average size of the uterus including fibroids in the late thirties to early forties is a ten to twelve week pregnancy size (about 13cm in the largest dimension), in the middle forties fourteen to sixteen weeks is average (about 17cm in the largest dimension), and in the late forties to early fifties eighteen to twenty weeks is average (about 21cm in the largest dimension).

Fibroids have two rapid growth spurts that are natural, predictable, and not a cause for alarm. The first rapid growth spurt is in the late thirties to early forties. Then you have a few years of slower growth. Right before you go through menopause, when you have the hormone changes associated with the beginning of menopause, you have the second and last rapid growth spurt. Then the fibroids slowly and gradually shrink to a negligible size.

You develop all of the new fibroids you are going to have in your 30's you do not develop new fibroids in your 40's.

Both estrogens and progesterone stimulate fibroid growth. Many women use the so called "natural" progesterone yam cream that promoters claim shrinks fibroids, but in fact it makes them grow.

Fibroids are not a disease, they are your genetic blueprint. If you can live with the symptoms it would probably be better than unnecessary intervention of any kind. If you cannot live with the symptoms a myomectomy is a reasonable option. You never need a hysterectomy for fibroids unless you have the wrong doctor. If a doctor tells you that you have too many fibroids, they’re too large, or they’re in a location that makes myomectomy impossible you’re going to a doctor who doesn’t have the skill to perform the surgery. There is no such thing as fibroids that are too numerous, too large, or in a location where a myomectomy can't be performed providing the doctor has the skill.

Moderator cut: no advertising for your foundation, again.

Last edited by Suzet2262; 06-30-2008 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: spammer

Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 AM

Default You haven't had fibroids the size of a watermelon

in fact you probably haven't had them at all. I can not tell if you are male or female by your name. There are exceptions and that is when the fibroids are pushing on other organs causing harm. Am I there yet? I do not know.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:48 AM

24 posts, read 84,953 times
Quote:
If you cannot live with the symptoms a myomectomy is a reasonable option. You never need a hysterectomy for fibroids unless you have the wrong doctor. If a doctor tells you that you have too many fibroids, they’re too large, or they’re in a location that makes myomectomy impossible you’re going to a doctor who doesn’t have the skill to perform the surgery. There is no such thing as fibroids that are too numerous, too large, or in a location where a myomectomy can't be performed providing the doctor has the skill.

To Alice:

"Myomectomy" is the surgical removal of fibroid tumors, even if it's the size of a watermelon. As Bern stated, they can be removed regardless of the size.

You can read more about it here:

Myomectomy an Alternative to Hysterectomy

Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Fibroids do not always grow as separate entities from the uterus. Mine are en-mass all along the back of my uterus, everywhere they need to be cut away causes bleeding and doctors do not agree that it is an option no matter what is going on in there, it depends on the situation. I certainly looked at myomectomy too, considering my age I would not worry too much about them all growing back at this point.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:55 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice2 View Post
is never needed.

I was told I had fibroids and needed one in 1995. I was told they were 'tumors' and was terrified and might as well have been told I needed brain surgery, since I had never heard of the condition before (which says something about our educational system as well, they are awfully common). Then I saw an article on fibroids in a women's magazine that happened to be sitting in my restroom at work (wonderful coincidence at the time!) and found out you don't have to take them out if they are not causing a problem. Went for a second opinion at my same health care facility (Kaiser Permanente) and was told what I wanted to hear -- that doing nothing was an option for me if they weren't causing problems.

The waiting game began to get scary when sometime after 2001 I became aware that they were growing larger. What I was not noticing over the years after that they got so big I looked exactly like a very pregnant woman. (I actually did not know it was that obvious until other people told me, even though I had to stop wearing my regular size 7 pants and find things with elastic in the waist). I was extremely distressed by this but still afraid of surgery, and they were too widespread alll over the surface of my uterus for myomectomy to be a safe or effective option.

Now, I am afraid that having the surgery is a major risk and at the same time I am finally coming to realize that not having the surgery is also a risk. The doctor I finally saw told me they are the biggest she has ever seen, and admits surgery carries some risk, but says it is no longer optional but necessary, and right away.

I am trying too little too late to do some wholistic treatments to shrink them, or at the very least cease their growth so I can make it to menopause.

I no longer have confidence they will 'shrivel up and go away' when I have menopause; I have been told by health care providers they do not just 'go away' when they have grown this large.

In my case, I wish in hindsight I had done the surgery when I was younger and healthier and they were so small as to be undectable from the outside.

It was very interesting reading all the strong opinions in this thread, and I tell you, it's not a black and white thing and not always easy to make the right decision. My fear that "I will never be the same again" coupled with the fear that the surgery is actually life-risking at this point for me keeps me from taking the plunge. But who could have foreseen the rapid growth to start six years after being diagnosed?

If I find this stuff I am doing works for me it will be a miracle, but one that I believe is at least 50% possible. I will post again on this when I know.
I had my abdominal myomectomy on October 29th. The surgery was very successful. Just because your fibroids are bigger doesn't mean you have to have a hysterectomy. Find a doctor that is willing to try and save your uterus if that's what you want, but given the size be prepared that they might have to perform a hysterectomy as a last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness