Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

Surprisingly for me the doctor put me on medication. I just started taking it last week. I exercise regularly already, but have a horrible diet. I have found it very challenging to find healthy foods (after eating terribly for my entire life).

I have an appointment with her again tomorrow to follow up. I am hoping to find a website with recipe suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I isolated two or three things in my diet that contribute to cholesterol, and though twice before eating them. Butter, bacon, etc.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
But bacon makes everything better!!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I think if you Google around Cholesterol Ratio, you'll find your numbers are great..it's more a ratio you'll find, rather than total.

You being a bit over the optimal level on the total scale is due to your high good cholesterol, HDL, number of 75.

Your HDL is very high, thus reducing your chances of heart disease.
Your triglycerides are quite low, furthering reducing your chances of heart disease.

Seems to me your numbers are good...and nothing to worry about. Is your doctor concerned? My doctor uses the ratio method as above and looks more at the HDL level and my triglycerides rather than my total c.
My Dr. is not concerned but I am.

Thanks for the explanation and link.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Mine was really high. It just kept crawling up and I have been eating appropriately. My dr finally put me on cholesterol medicine. She called me one day after getting my most recent results and told me to start that very day.

I am going to continue eating the healthy foods and taking the medicine and we will see what happens. I have a strong family history of heart disease and high bp and cholesterol, so better safe than sorry.

My dr told me it is only 20% what you eat, the rest is genetics.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Mine was 220s when I was in my early to mid twenties. Was eating awfully and even put on another fifteen pounds and my cholesterol went down to 175. It's been there ever since.

I won't pretend to understand it.

The ratio, as mentioned above, is actually probably more important than any of the numbers individually.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Found this cool tool online--it calculates your numbers for you and gives ratios and ranks them..all you do is plug in your numbers (LDL, HDL, total C, Tri's):

Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator 2013

Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
Eat oatmeal for breakfast
Eat lots of fruits and veggies.
Exercise
limit meat
I dropped mine from 240 to 151 doing these four things.
Good luck!
That's pretty much what I do. Mine is around 160 and has never been any higher (I'm 47). I have a family history of high cholesterol, but everyone who has it doesn't exercise or eat right. I just love my fruit and vegetables and love working out/walking.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:00 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
I'm glad you posted this as I just got my results today and don't see my DR until June. I thought my cholesterol was good because total is 119 but the OP made me check a couple sites. My triglycerides are high at 219 and my "good" HDL is only 31 so I definitively need to do something about those. My LDL is 44 which I guess is good.

Now to see how to lower my triglycerides and raise my HDL. I had a heart attack almost a year ago and got 3 stents and am now on plavix and lipititor. I'm waiting for it to warm up so I can start exorcising again.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I'm glad you posted this as I just got my results today and don't see my DR until June. I thought my cholesterol was good because total is 119 but the OP made me check a couple sites. My triglycerides are high at 219 and my "good" HDL is only 31 so I definitively need to do something about those. My LDL is 44 which I guess is good.

Now to see how to lower my triglycerides and raise my HDL. I had a heart attack almost a year ago and got 3 stents and am now on plavix and lipititor. I'm waiting for it to warm up so I can start exorcising again.
May I respectfully suggest a gym membership--or if cost is a consideration, an exercise CD used at home? Something as simple as 20 minutes of dancing to your favorite music CD or marching in place counts, too. I want you to be healthy...start moving, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness