Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times

Advertisements

With this, I shall retire for the night. Several times, I have heard or read comments saying we should buy natural peanut butter. One day at the store I saw some Jif Natural Peanut butter. I started comparing labels and made quite a discovery.

The two are almost identical. The Natural has 0.2 gm more of Sat Fat. The regular has 30 more mg of sodium. Other than that? One thing. The natural cost $1 more.

I suppose someone can explain this. Be back yfory/manana/tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:52 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Comparing the ingredients on the two, the regular has fully hydrogenated rapeseed and soybean oils and mono and diglycerides. The natural has palm oil. The mono and diglycerides are additives to keep the oil from separating from the peanut solids.

It used to be that when you bought natural peanut butter (from the health food store), you had to stir it before you could use it, because the oil would separate out and sit on top of the solids. The no-stir natural peanut butters use palm oil to keep the oil from separating out.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
The ingredients of "natural peanut butter" should be peanuts and salt (you can get unsalted which would just have peasants). The other peanut butters can contain all sorts of other things like palm oil, preservatives, sugars, etc.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Comparing the ingredients on the two, the regular has fully hydrogenated rapeseed and soybean oils and mono and diglycerides. The natural has palm oil. The mono and diglycerides are additives to keep the oil from separating from the peanut solids.
Natural shouldn't have any added fats and its not like palm oil is more natural than soybean oil.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I only use natural peanutbutter because:

1) it tastes better
2) I like the consistency more
3) It's just peanuts and salt (though you can get it unsalted)
4) It's kind of a fun mini-ritual to stir the oil with the paste to make the butter the first time I use it.

The important thing with the natural, is that it does need to be kept refrigerated once you've opened and stirred it.

The problem is with the word "natural." Truth in Advertising laws require that the ingredients be natural. They don't require that the ingredients be exclusive. And so, as long as you're using natural cane sugar, natural salt, natural peanuts, natural palm oil, natural sawdust, and natural chopped liver, you can call your peanutbutter all natural.

My preferred brand is Teddie's, and the ingredients are only peanuts, salt, period.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quite a few stores have peanut butter making machines (grinders and bins of peanuts, or almonds)... salted or unsalted peanuts...nothing else added. Each week we make our own fresh peanut butter either at Whole Foods or Earth Fare. We keep the fresh peanut butter on the kitchen counter and we eat it every day...no jarred stuff for us. We can make it in our VitaMix as well.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 AM

Thank you all. Right that I need to read the ingredients. When I made that comparison, I got the data from Calorie King. I didn't find the ingredients but might not have done a good job there anyway That needs to be done.

And, right that "pure" peanut butter is ground peanuts with salt if you want. So, is my conclusion that the word "natural" is being a bit overdone correct? Basically, yes it is all natural but not what we (I anyway) think about when I think about natural peanut butter.

Since I haven't compared the ingredients, does that improve the claim to the label "natural" even if it isn't "pure" peanut butter with no additives of any kind (other than the optional salt)?

As for using only he "pure" (is there a better word?), a jar of peanut butter lasts me too long. It does have to be used up faster than I could use it. I once bought a jar of it at Whole Foods. It was not half used when the expiration date passed by. But that's not the question here.

Conclusion: It's a matter of semantics? Are we now to be leary of anything called "natural"?

Old 03-06-2014, 05:26 AM

It's not a matter of semantics. It's a matter of advertising. Natural peanutbutter must be natural, by law. But it doesn't need to be ONLY peanutbutter. It can include any other ingredients found in nature.

The only way you can be assured of the ingredients of your processed foods, is to read the ingredients list. That is your responsibility as a consumer. The manufacturer has already done his job by providing it for you. This does not extend to herbal/chemical dietary supplements. The supplement companies can pretty much put whatever they want into their pills and liquids and powders, as long as what they put in it, isn't already controlled by the FDA. (Example - an herb-shop's bottle of valerian capsules can have powdered horse manure and sawdust in the capsules. But it cannot have Valium in the capsules, because Valium is an FDA-controlled substance).

Old 03-06-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's not a matter of semantics. It's a matter of advertising. Natural peanutbutter must be natural, by law. But it doesn't need to be ONLY peanutbutter. It can include any other ingredients found in nature.

The only way you can be assured of the ingredients of your processed foods, is to read the ingredients list. That is your responsibility as a consumer. The manufacturer has already done his job by providing it for you. This does not extend to herbal/chemical dietary supplements. The supplement companies can pretty much put whatever they want into their pills and liquids and powders, as long as what they put in it, isn't already controlled by the FDA. (Example - an herb-shop's bottle of valerian capsules can have powdered horse manure and sawdust in the capsules. But it cannot have Valium in the capsules, because Valium is an FDA-controlled substance).
You've pointed out the flaw in my thinking and I do agree with you. But, am I the only one who can be fooled by that word "natural"? Or, was I just not thinking - a common failure, I fear.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 AM

Of course you're not the only one fooled by it. That is WHY the use of the word is so effective, that is WHY so many "natural foods" companies rake in so much money. That is also WHY supplements are a multi-billion-dollar industry. They can peddle their natural foods and natural supplements, that are no better than the chemical processed stuff - and in the case of supplements - might even be more dangerous and potentially life-threatening. But because they can add cheap fillers (such as sawdust) and still comply with the truth in advertising laws, they can get away with it at enormous profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness