Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:43 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

..and what do they do to achieve that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
My grandfather. He lived to 99 years old without ever being sick a day in his life. He died in his sleep. He ate normal healthy (no fancy organic food, just basic healthy) and didn't smoke or drink. He didn't exercise but was active working in his garden, etc. If I had to pinpoint one thing that set him apart from others, he was the calmest most stress free person I've ever met.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Really, I mean it...me....and if I should ever cancel on someone bec of illness, they
say, "But, you never get sick."

That's when I say, "Well, 11 years ago the same thing happened...someone came in
that woke up WITH a sore throat and swollen lymphs, maybe a slight fever...and
20 min into the massage told me..... What?
"And 8 years before that someone came in...."

And that's the end of the story as far as getting colds,....oh, what do I do?

I wash my hands, make my massage clients wash their hands,move away from people in stores
fast, that cough....don't eat mucusy foods like other people...dairy and NO white flour
products, politely will eat a small dessert at a party maybe...no processed foods with 5 syllable names in
ingredients.....but the most important thing...I have no stress...that probably means no
Cortisol, is it (?), certainly I'm more alkaline ...my whole insides are relaxed and I belly laugh often.

There you have it....not one person I know for decades can say what I say.
(I also don't have pain, aches, stiffness...unless I fall and hurt myself...oh yeah, I got food poisoning
from 3 restaurants, all were reported and their mistakes were found and stopped by
the Health Dept.)
I have had 2 teeny fillings I didn't need novacaine for....I ate a lot of candy with a roommate in my 20s, once.)

I'm an old hippie that was a strict vegetarian for 15 years (nothing made with eggs even) and
general health foody...no coffee, alch, tobacco for decades....that helped.

And I give many many reps everyday on this forum till they often tell me enough for one day!

Gee, nice to reminisce about my life.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 03-16-2014 at 08:34 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Really, I mean it...me....and if I should ever cancel on someone bec of illness, they
say, "But, you never get sick."

That's when I say, "Well, 11 years ago the same thing happened...someone came in
that woke up WITH a sore throat and swollen lymphs, maybe a slight fever...and
20 min into the massage told me..... What?
"And 8 years before that someone came in...."

And that's the end of the story as far as getting colds,....oh, what do I do?

I wash my hands, make my massage clients wash their hands,move away from people in stores
fast, that cough....don't eat mucusy foods like other people...dairy and NO white flour
products, politely will eat a small dessert at a party maybe...no processed foods with 5 syllable names in
ingredients.....but the most important thing...I have no stress...that probably means no
Cortisol, is it (?), certainly I'm more alkaline ...my whole insides are relaxed and I belly laugh often.

There you have it....not one person I know for decades can say what I say.
(I also don't have pain, aches, stiffness...unless I fall and hurt myself...oh yeah, I got food poisoning
from 3 restaurants, all were reported and their mistakes were found and stopped by
the Health Dept.)
I have had 2 teeny fillings I didn't need novacaine for....I ate a lot of candy with a roommate in my 20s, once.)

I'm an old hippie that was a strict vegetarian for 15 years (nothing made with eggs even) and
general health foody...no coffee, alch, tobacco for decades....that helped.

And I give many many reps everyday on this forum till they often tell me enough for one day!

Gee, nice to reminisce about my life.
Loved hearing your "her-story," Miss Hepburn. Lots of wisdom there.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Am I the healthiest person I know? I'm not sure but although I have had colds now and then, at 71 have never been
'in bed' sick or so ill I couldn't carry on my normal day.

But,conversely to almost everything Miss Hepburn said, I can't relate to you a life of what are considered healthy habits
From late teens to mid-30's, I had a pretty atrocious eating habits, usually skipping breakfast and often lunch.
No food that I liked was off my diet including junk food. Until the last 10 years or so, coffee was an all day/evening/nighttime beverage.
Coffee is now 1/2 Caf and only in the morning and all meals are now much healthier , mostly because those foods just are more appetizing now and gaining weight became too easy.I had never had to worry about that before.

Through all the years of being a mother though, almost every night, dinner was home cooked and well balanced. Not much junk food was kept in the house for the kids to depend on for snacks.
I would go for years drinking very little to other time periods of drinking more than is considered just sociable and most times just now and again. ..started smoking at about 14 and still am.

Both my mom and grandfather died in their mid/late 90's......gramp with no meds and mom with just one rather minor one.
She told me once, when she got a bothersome head cold after going into a nursing home, that it was the only cold she ever had and only now understood what people complained about with a stuffy nose and sore throat.

I was never a soda drinker, though....maybe that's it

Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Any health problems connected with the smoking since 14?

Old 03-17-2014, 02:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
For our ages, my husband and I are the healthiest people we know among our friends....we are slim, trim, regular vigorous exercise including weights, lots of organic fruits and veggies, nuts, avocado, oats, quinoa, tofu, beans, legumes, green smoothies, Greek yogurt, limited cheese, chicken/fish about 4 meals a week (small portions). No junk food, no sugar, no extra oil, butter or fat 99% of the time. I eat gluten free. We are retired, laugh a lot, have great kids and grandkids that we enjoy close relationships with, we have a fun circle of friends that we socialize with and sometimes vacation with, spend a lot of our time doing service for others, active in our church, travel some and have many interests - I am convinced that, in addition to our exercise habit and good eating, our lifestyle adds positively to our health - we lead a very blessed life - we are surrounded by good.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:26 PM

Wow, Cattknap..you're doing great..love your enthusiasm. Great, happy spirit contributes to your great health I bet!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
As an ex-smoker I don't consider myself healthy. I'm trying to lose weight and get the bp and cholesterol back to normal limits. I wonder though, how many, like me have had no surgeries? I'm now over 50 and haven't had any.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM

Former smoker here, too, who's had no surgeries other than tonsil removal as a kid.

Good for you on quitting!! That's a wonderful achievement--and not an easy one, yes?

Such a major difference it's made in my life. Used to get colds and upper respiratory illnesses ALL the time. A couple of cases of walking pneumonia. No more! And my nasty sinus headaches are a thing of the past, too.

And yes, I also gained some weight. I quit at menopause, when the weight begins to creep on anyhow. But of late I've gotten much more active...longer and longer walks, gym 3-4 times a week, yoga once a week. Bicycling during fair weather.

Some weight's melted away, but I think that's due to changing my eating habits to mostly vegetarian and quitting most of the bread habit I had.

I'm happy with my body and its increasing strength. I can live with the bit of a Buddha belly I've grown...it sure beats being sick all the time.

Wishing you every bit of great health!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness