Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I try to make jokes about things when they are getting to me. I joke that its like being drunk without the expense of buying all the drinks, you even get the "I wanna throw up my insides" hangover.
I hear ya...my line is "It's better than a sharp stick in my eye!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:22 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Thanks for the informative and helpful responses! Rep points all around!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:25 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Stress can cause this. I know someone going through this and it's relieved with anti-anxiety meds.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
I have a friend that had that and ringing in her ears. She bought some Bio-Ear, and the ringing when away, as did the vertigo, but the vertigo came back later on.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:09 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
This has just recently happened to my husband. Doctors say it's "positional vertigo" and suggested therapy along with Meclazine 25mg. The 25mg dose wasn't helping and after researching online he is now taking 50mg and seems to be helping. God forbid he bends down, he's done for the day. We are definitely going to look into therapy.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:57 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I have Meirnears (I know I spelled that wrong!) but it causes vertigo and dizziness really bad. It also effects my hearing and I have ringing in my left ear. I take the Meclazine 25mg and it helps. Also reducing sodium is supposed to help, but that is HARD, there is so much sodium in almost everything.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
This has just recently happened to my husband. Doctors say it's "positional vertigo" and suggested therapy along with Meclazine 25mg. The 25mg dose wasn't helping and after researching online he is now taking 50mg and seems to be helping. God forbid he bends down, he's done for the day. We are definitely going to look into therapy.
Lacey, how long does his vertigo last? Days? how often?

Thanks for this post and the mention of therapy. That's something to look into. When you find out more about it, would you share it here with us, please.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 AM

A cup of ginger tea is supposed to lessen the symptoms of veritigo. Also Ginkgo Biloba is suppose to restore balance as well. My book says to take 102 mg. every day in order to keep symptoms under control. If you try it let me know if it works.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-15-2008 at 04:58 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 AM

jessaka, I'll try it the ginger tea. Not sure about the Gingko Biloba, as that is said to raise blood pressure - am I remembering that correctly?

Ginger tea sounds lovely, though, especially in this cold wave. Would it help if I eat ginger cookies with that?

What book are you using for reference?

Thanks, reps are due to all respondents to show my appreciation! (it looks like I already did that, and the system won't let me give out any more! If I missed anyone, send me a pm please...I found everyone had something valuable to contribute. Vertigo now isn't as scary anymore, now that I know I have company. )

Old 01-04-2008, 03:11 AM

The book is , "The World's Greatest Treasury of Health Secrets."

Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba L.) - MayoClinic.com

This is information on Ginkgo Biloba from the Mayo Clinic. It decreases blood pressure. It is dangerous to take if

Quote:
Based on laboratory and human research, ginkgo may decrease blood pressure, although there is one report of ginkgo possibly raising blood pressure in a person taking a thiazide diuretic ("water pill").
I would read this entire article before deciding on whether to take it or not. I began taking it to improve my memory, and the first thing I noticed is that it cured my Raynard's Syndrome and then it helped with my asthma. I found out later that it is supposed to be helpful in those cases.

Quote:
Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)

There is conflicting research regarding the use of ginkgo for tinnitus. Traditional use and multiple small, poorly designed studies from the 1980s and 1990s report benefits. However, a well-designed recent study found no benefit. Additional well-designed research is needed in order to resolve this controversy.
Quote:
Vertigo
A small amount of poorly designed research reports benefits of ginkgo for the treatment of vertigo. Additional study is needed before a recommendation can be made.
Here is something that I found to be true.

Quote:
Dosing
The below doses are based on scientific research, publications, traditional use, or expert opinion. Many herbs and supplements have not been thoroughly tested, and safety and effectiveness may not be proven. Brands may be made differently, with variable ingredients, even within the same brand. The below doses may not apply to all products. You should read product labels, and discuss doses with a qualified healthcare provider before starting therapy.
I was taking a certain brand that worked, and then bought a different brand, and my Raynard's came back after a year, so I have switched again, but I don't recall the brand I was taking a year ago. So I am testing out brands.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-04-2008 at 03:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness