Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 03:37 AM

518 posts, read 469,589 times

Advertisements

I recall it being said that we could opt out of having our medical records kept or compiled electronically in a data base. Has anyone done this and how do you go about it? Or is this like the "if you like your doctor, your can keep your doctor" line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Good luck! EVERYTHING is electronic these days.

Personally I feel you will get better care if you leave your records electronic. Just be sure to sign up for access to your records, look at them, and tell the nurse/doctor of any errors or corrections/additions needed.

Be sure to keep your medications list up to date, including vitamins and over the counter medications. If it is something you sometimes take, say "I take this drug as needed".

Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 AM

I simply don't trust the Government and do not want my personal information on a data base they can access without a court order.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I was told by a doc, hating this electronic stuff, that if he doesn't do it he
would get a huge fine...like $10,00 type...from someplace...HIIPA?
Can't remember...they hate it, too!
He hates government, bureaucracy, lies...all those things...

Old 12-02-2014, 11:11 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
There really is no way out. All insurance companies deal electronically. If you can pay cash, you could try, however most offices simply have no way to keep and protect paper records (except mental health professionals ).

Old 12-02-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I was told by a doc, hating this electronic stuff, that if he doesn't do it he
would get a huge fine...like $10,00 type...from someplace...HIIPA?
Can't remember...they hate it, too!
He hates government, bureaucracy, lies...all those things...
I was reading up on it and for those who switched they actually got bonuses from the Fed's of up to $44,000 and if they didn't they loose a percentage of medicare payments.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There really is no way out. All insurance companies deal electronically. If you can pay cash, you could try, however most offices simply have no way to keep and protect paper records (except mental health professionals ).
Locally if you use the community based mental health agency it's all computer and you even sign on a pad.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I agree billing info is always electronic but MH therapy notes rarely are, except in the VA. Most private practictioners still keep paper notes.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Kind of like them,like someone said everything pretty much is electronic and any of it can be hacked and am sure gov't can look at pretty much anything.
Years ago there was always a lapse but not anymore,you are known inside and out whether you like it or not,no privacy of any kind today.
I can acess my records 24/7 and make necessary changes,send message etc.
My medical records are in Lewiston Me,live in FL.
My taxes for Ct home go to same place!!

Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I agree billing info is always electronic but MH therapy notes rarely are, except in the VA. Most private practictioners still keep paper notes.
I just know the local (4 county) mental health agency in our area went all electronic over a year ago. No more paper. They are an private non-profit organization and not a government agency. I can't speak for anywhere else, but I do know about my area. I have a relative who is one of the one's entering her notes as she sees clients into the computer. They cannot do anything when the computers are down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness